Author Topic: future classic  (Read 2308 times)

Offline joemehmet

• Beginner
future classic
« on: April 05, 2022, 11:36:09 AM »
Hi guys

quick question ....how does a movie poster become a collectable in today's world of cinema.. I can understand roughly from the golden age of cinema with fantastic art works by great artist but  now that the  industry is using more digital marketing and less rare is it worthwhile collecting posters from today's films ..just wondering. cheers

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: future classic
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 01:16:22 PM »
Worth collecting while there are actual posters to have, but I would not be interested in just an image on a memory stick.

For me, it's not if the film turns out a classic or not, all I'm bothered about is if I like the film I'll buy the poster, or even if it's a nice poster I'll buy it..  Most of mine are for crap films anyway.    ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline joemehmet

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 02:44:24 PM »
yes like you  that's how I started with the actors/films I enjoyed watching it's that I just don't enjoy the films as much  these days  don't want to sound like an old fart but there's just too many issues for me to  go to the cinema and enjoy the whole experience

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 07:52:43 PM »
I started collecting 20 years ago and went straight to 80s movies because those were the movies I had grown up up with and loved most.  I got a lot of those 80s posters for very little money.  Then prices started going up and up and up, to the point where there are now x10 what I initially paid.  Take Back to the Future.  I probably own 10 rolled copies and what I paid for the 10 of them is probably equals what it would take to buy one today.  Why?  Because it is a great movie, because people remember it fondly and want to own a piece of memorabilia.  The same goes with a lot of 90s and 00s movies.  I made it a rule to not buy posters of movies I haven't seen or do not like.  If I like a movie, I buy its poster.  I do not really care about the design since the poster will end up in a tube as soon as I get it.  It's all about owning something from a piece of celluloid I love.  If it's good, trust me, it will gain value.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline joemehmet

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 04:47:08 AM »
thanks for reply...you must have a lot of tubes mate   :)  :) 8) 8) 8) thumbsup.

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 07:22:35 AM »
Any movie from iconic series such as James Bond, Marvel or iconic directors such as Tarantino may be considered future classic.  Awards winners may also be considered classic; so are the official festival posters such as Cannes, Venise, etc.   
But yeah, most modern posters are pretty ugly ("floating head")  so people tends to prefer byposter/side posters done by designers or having a special design; actually, Mondo posters and alternative posters-alike are doing much better than the original ones in term of classic design (the fact they are limited in number also plays a big part).   

This is about the design itself and what may fall under classic image.  Some may consider the price has a factor of what falls under classic.  I would be wary with prices hike for modern posters.... see the recent alternate version of Tarantino movie, the prices went up like mad in a week time... and without any reason, may be "mass hysteria phenomena" .

Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline joemehmet

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 03:35:51 PM »
thanks for feedback, can't beat a bond poster for sure as I see it with my collection is that every poster I buy has to have story, I was originally into collecting Arsenal Football club pre -war programmes been an avid season ticket holder as every football programme was historic and was at the game in someones hand to speak and when I  finally I got the chance to buy the ultimate Arsenal programme( only a few in existence) which was the very first game played at Highbury in 1913 v Leicester fosse, so i kinda felt flat after that purchase as that was it  so I started into film posters first with films that I loved and then at the artists and design which gets me excited  but these days  I just can't get excited with today's posters so I'm thinking of saving up and buying 1 cool item when I reach the amount or just continue buying posters from films that I like which I must admit there isn't 1 film I enjoyed for a long time   mind you Nobody was good .

sorry if I waffled on

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 04:09:57 PM »
Nice to see a fellow Gooner on here!
For what it’s worth, I tend to be motivated almost entirely by design rather than the movie. With one or two exceptions, if I like the design, I’ll be interested in the poster regardless of whether I have seen the film it’s promoting or thought it was any good. If I happen to enjoy the film as well, that’s a bonus.
As for what will make a future classic poster - I think it’s when all these things come together - great design/artwork and nostalgia/affection for the film it’s advertising. As Thierry (Eatbrie) said, at the moment the 80s stuff is having a real moment. Who knows whether that will last or if something else will become the next hot thing?
And as many collectors have said, buy what you like and you won’t go far wrong!

Offline joemehmet

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 05:22:55 PM »
hi there  Gooner. (in the nicest way I say it  )

yes. there's so many variables as to collecting film posters  and I agree with all contributors comments. thanks for your comments much appreciated

COYG

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 09:35:51 PM »
thanks for reply...you must have a lot of tubes mate   :)  :) 8) 8) 8) thumbsup.

At this point, probably 200 tubes, each with about 35 rolled posters.  It seems like a lot but it doesn't take a lot of room when you're organized.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline joemehmet

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 03:35:48 AM »
I'm in awe ,clicked onto your collection absolutely fantastic mate

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 11:59:03 AM »
Thanks, it's a fun hobby.

T
My Personal Collection