Author Topic: 14x36 Insert packaging?  (Read 174 times)

Offline morphine

• Beginner
14x36 Insert packaging?
« on: April 15, 2024, 02:02:41 PM »
Hello all.

I cannot find a specific post on packaging inserts, so thought I would ask here.

I've been collecting for a long time but my collection is all one sheets.

I have bought some inserts locally, and I am wondering how people ship them.

I assume rolled, not flat, which would be expensive to ship.

How tightly do you roll them? Similar to a one sheet?

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
Re: 14x36 Insert packaging?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 10:45:08 PM »
Yes roll them, but make sure not tightly or it will become permanently rolled and possibly creased.  Use at least a 4 inch diameter, sturdy tube.  Roll the insert with some Kraft paper (or something similar) that is wider than the poster itself, and when you put the poster in the tube do NOT let it expand until it is flush with the tube, but instead slightly narrower.  This will protect the poster if the tube is somehow dented.  To keep the poster from bouncing around just keep it suspended in place by chuffing the ends of the tube with plastic bags or something up against the poster/Kraft paper.   

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 01:32:32 PM »
Yes roll them, but make sure not tightly or it will become permanently rolled and possibly creased.  Use at least a 4 inch diameter, sturdy tube.  Roll the insert with some Kraft paper (or something similar) that is wider than the poster itself, and when you put the poster in the tube do NOT let it expand until it is flush with the tube, but instead slightly narrower.  This will protect the poster if the tube is somehow dented.  To keep the poster from bouncing around just keep it suspended in place by chuffing the ends of the tube with plastic bags or something up against the poster/Kraft paper.

That's a good point.  I have a couple 40x60s that apparently were tightly rolled at some point.  Despite having them stored flat with weights on top of the boards they were sandwiched between for several years, they would still roll up as soon as I removed them from the storage boards.  It's not a big deal, just a little annoying when handling them.

Offline morphine

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 12:31:57 PM »
Thank you both.

I figured my plan for shipping was good, and you've confirmed my thoughts on how to do it.