Author Topic: March 2022  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
March 2022
« on: March 03, 2022, 12:43:19 PM »

Here's a US One Sheet for 1983's BMX Bandits. I'm happy I was able to get this one as it doesn't seem to be very common. I absolutely loved this movie when I first saw it and I remember trying to hunt down a copy of the film's rare soundtrack for the longest time and being so happy when I got my hands on it. I wasn't actively looking for this one sheet (it was on my list) but I knew I had to have it when it popped up! I have to admit I'm more of a fan of the film's other posters, but this one is still pretty good looking overall. :)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: March 2022
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 09:27:03 AM »
Cool art on that one! I don't remember the film...I do vaguely remember 'Rad', another 80s BMX film. The synopsis on IMDB sounds fun, I'll have to hunt it down...

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 01:35:38 PM »
Another Boris Vallejo piece that I did not know existed until recently.  Spanish language one sheet for Paradise Alley.  The French paper carries an edited (color edited) version of this art, but the English language one sheets are a photographic Stallone bust.  This is the only piece of Boris movie art I have seen that is unsigned.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 01:54:45 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 01:36:05 PM »

Here's a US One Sheet for 1983's BMX Bandits. I'm happy I was able to get this one as it doesn't seem to be very common. I absolutely loved this movie when I first saw it and I remember trying to hunt down a copy of the film's rare soundtrack for the longest time and being so happy when I got my hands on it. I wasn't actively looking for this one sheet (it was on my list) but I knew I had to have it when it popped up! I have to admit I'm more of a fan of the film's other posters, but this one is still pretty good looking overall. :)

I have always been a fan of that one!
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 02:26:05 PM »
I like that Vallejo piece.  I don’t think I own any posters on the title, because I must have seen it to collect it.  Is it a movie worth watching?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 03:08:27 PM »
I like that Vallejo piece.  I don’t think I own any posters on the title, because I must have seen it to collect it.  Is it a movie worth watching?

T

Thanks buddy!  If I didn't know it was Boris, I'd have pegged it as a Casaro.  And, I got it because of the artist and no other reason.

Honestly, it is a pretty mediocre film.  It isn't anywhere near some of the terrible films from the late 70's and early 80's, many of which were so bad they are fun to watch now or had some amusing schtick.  At the same time, it definitely isn't what anyone would call good.  Unless you are a wrestling (WWF, WWE, etc) fan (it has some of the old school wrestling personalities), Paradise Alley sits squarely in the purgatory 'meh' zone.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 04:08:57 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 08:28:05 PM »
Another lost Boris Vallejo Piece.  Wu zi tian shi (1978).  The official English title for this film is The Phoenix.  However, almost every non-Asian poster has film titled War of the Wizards.  I am honestly not 100% positive where and why they used the War of the Wizards vs. Phoenix titles.  However, my belief based on what I have seen for sale and where they come from is that War of the Wizards is equivalent to the 'domestic' title and The Phoenix is the 'international'.  Interestingly, the twi titles had similar but different Boris Vallejo art.  This is the only one sheet I have ever seen with The Phoenix title. 

« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 08:30:10 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
My Poster Gallery

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 10:14:14 PM »
Cool art on that one! I don't remember the film...I do vaguely remember 'Rad', another 80s BMX film. The synopsis on IMDB sounds fun, I'll have to hunt it down...
I finally got a chance to watch Rad when it released on Bluray last year - it was fun and had a great soundtrack although I think I prefer BMX Bandits myself. Definitely recommended - last I saw it was free on Shout Factory TV streaming.
I'd love to own a Rad One Sheet as well to pair it with, but those are a bit more pricey and I'm not a fan of the art used so it's not a priority at the moment.

These next two posters I haven't actually seen the films yet - but they've been on my "need to watch" list for a long time since I love '80s sex comedies. I ordered the VHS tapes and they are on the way so that will change soon - and I'm sure I'll love them.
They only reason I put them off for so long was because of how rare and expensive the tapes are - and they aren't on Bluray/DVD.

I'm not a fan of the theatrical poster for "Lets Do It" just because of the odd choice of placement/color scheme of the characters...it's just strange and doesn't really help tell you what the film is about. The VHS tape had MUCH better artwork, but I don't know if a poster for it exists.

"Goin' All The Way" had two different theatrical release posters with completely different artwork. I only have this one for now, but I will definitely get the other when I have a chance. (I prefer this one though - it's much more hilarious to look at.)
I've owned this film's soundtrack for ages so it's long overdue that I watch the movie itself!

Online bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 08:35:59 AM »
Has been awhile for me getting any posters. But had to get this one…

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 02:26:57 PM »
I got this 'Alice in Wonderland' character poster recently. I hadn't seen this version before and presumed it was a fan made poster or fake because it wasn't printed with the other posters. There were a few issues such as a different design to the logo and the fact that the character also looks completely different from how he appears in the film.

Anyway, I did some research and it seems this was a concept poster that must have been created while the film was in production. I found some production paper work with a similar version of the logo and a behind the scenes photo showing this was the original look for the March Hare.

Anyway, not sure why I'm posting all this because I'm sure it's boring to most but I'm really happy to have it and it was fun tracking down its origins.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 03:02:24 PM »
Nice! I love the detective work that goes with a piece like this - that's really cool you found the logo design on the production paperwork.

I was always a bit surprised the hare didn't get his own character poster, so it's pretty apt that such a dedicated Burton collector does now have the hare in his collection.

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 09:02:07 PM »
I got this 'Alice in Wonderland' character poster recently. I hadn't seen this version before and presumed it was a fan made poster or fake because it wasn't printed with the other posters. There were a few issues such as a different design to the logo and the fact that the character also looks completely different from how he appears in the film.

Anyway, not sure why I'm posting all this because I'm sure it's boring to most but I'm really happy to have it and it was fun tracking down its origins.
Don't say that! It was actually really interesting reading about this poster and your research! Also what matters most is what this one meant to YOU! :)
Glad you got it in your hands!

I apologize in adavnce for the long post but I went a bit crazy buying and checking things off my list!

"Small Soldiers" from 1998, single sided. There are a few other variations of this one sheet, but this is my first! This was a childhood favorite of mine, I remember watching the movie so often! Definitely going to get the rest at some point, but it's a start!

"Summer Job" from 1988. Here's another where I own the soundtrack and poster but haven't actually seen the film. The VHS arrives tomorrow and it's a sex comedy, so I think I'll definitely enjoy it when I get the chance to watch it soon!

"Senior Week" from 1987. Another typical '80s teen sex comedy, fun to watch with some good laughs. Also bought the video store poster, which is the same thing but with a different tagline.

"Rebel High" from 1987. I bought a sealed VHS of this a while back and the video release poster. I remember it being a fun film that had me laughing all the way through. Much better than I expected since it was a blind buy.

1983's "Porky's 2: The Next Day". I have to admit I haven't seen this one yet, just the first. I own the VHS, but it's not on my immediate watch list. Thought I'd go ahead and buy the poster anyway since it was all in the same auction as the posters above.

1982's "Girls Nite Out", a slasher. This one has been on my list for a while and I believe there are two(?) Variants of this poster and someone else on this forum has one as well. I remember seeing quite a few of these for sale for a while but then they all just disappeared so I thought I'd go ahead and buy the one I could find. I love slashers but haven't seen this one. I pre-ordered the new blu ray so I'm looking forward to finally watching it! It will also compliment my other slahser posters that feature female leads.

1983's "The Dorm That Dripped Blood". Another slasher, although not the most memorable. I really like the artwork for this one, but I think I prefer its variant where it is known as "Pranks". That poster makes it seem more like a comedy! It had two posters under the name "Pranks" I believe, although I don't own either one yet. This one came from Canada and has a partially ripped Canadian "Horror" sticker, but it's fine because I got a good deal for this one compared to the asking price of the others for sale.

1982's "Sweet Sixteen", another slasher. It's a strange poster, but I loved the film's theme song ("Melissa") and I own the soundtrack as well. It was definitely entertaining, even if it's not the best or most memorable slasher out there.

1981's "Happy Birthday To Me", another slasher (no surprise there!). I have to admit I didn't remmeber much about this one other than the fact it had a crazy ending and a slow start but I love the ending theme song by Syreeta. I listen to it a lot!

I'm keeping all of these folded and stored for now since I'm out of room but a lot of them were long overdue for me to check off on my list!

"Where The Boys Are '84" video store poster. I already own the one sheet, which I believe was the first original movie poster I purchased! I just had to have this one as well because I adore the film so much. I spent my spring break watching it since I couldn't really have a spring break this year. Hoping to change that next year and see this famous "Fort Lauderdale". ;)

"The Big Bet" from 1987, a sex comedy. Haven't seen it but I own the tape so it is on my list! With a tagline like that, the film is setting up high expectations so it better not disappoint!

1987's "Dudes". My fiance and I love '80s punks so this was right up our alley and did not disappoint! Immediately bought the one sheet, soundtrack, and blu ray after watching on Tubi. It helped that it had two actors we like!

1982's "Beach Girls", sex comedy. I think my fiance enjoyed this one more than I did! Another fun film with a great soundtrack and cast and getting this was also long overdue! So happy to have it!

There are a few more posters I never got pictures of and are currently rolled/folded and stored away that I bought this month but I think I've shared enough! It was a good month and I bought WAY more than I thought I would! :)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 06:44:01 PM »
Wow, some really cool stuff there.  I have never heard of half of these flicks, but I certainly dig the posters.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
Great pickups all. 

Well done HM.  The 80s stuff you share here is always cool to see.  cool1 

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2022, 07:29:39 AM »
Thank you Tob and Heather. I have to say Heather, your enthusiasm for the posters you collect is really nice to see. This forum has become a bit of a ghost town so it's always nice to see a post like yours.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022, 10:47:29 AM »
Don't say that! It was actually really interesting reading about this poster and your research! Also what matters most is what this one meant to YOU! :)

Just read this and couldn't agree more.  I have stopped posting my new acquisition because I have a website and it would be redondant, but if I do, like I recently did in the Bardot thread, I know that it will be of zero interest to most, save maybe one or two,  Such is the nature of the beast.  We are all different and collect different stuff.  It's still fun to see though, at least to me ;)

T
My Personal Collection