Author Topic: Posters printed on photo paper  (Read 2381 times)

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
Posters printed on photo paper
« on: December 07, 2021, 09:44:06 AM »
Does anyone own any posters printed on photo paper?

These posters are normally from the design process, so even before going to a proof, they may be printed in very small numbers. I'm trying to verify some info regarding some posters like this and it would be really useful to know the kind of paper they used to print them on.

If you have one like this it will normally have small text running through the paper identifying the paper stock, like Agfa etc...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: Posters printed on photo paper
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 04:33:31 PM »
Hi Matt

The only one I know for certain is the Donnie Darko Toronto Film Festival poster which is printed on Kodak Professional Digital paper. The Virgin Suicides Premiere poster looks like photographic paper but is unmarked. I'm sure I have others but I can't think of the titles.

Mark

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 06:31:04 AM »
I have a pair of one sheet size posters for Wanted that are printed on photographic paper. They have a serial number on the front in the bottom left and are very glossy. I think they had the paper stock on the back, but I'd need to pull them to be sure.

Hi Matt

The only one I know for certain is the Donnie Darko Toronto Film Festival poster which is printed on Kodak Professional Digital paper. The Virgin Suicides Premiere poster looks like photographic paper but is unmarked. I'm sure I have others but I can't think of the titles.

Mark

Do you have an image of that poster for The Virgin Suicides, Mark? I'm curious to see the design. Thanks.

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 11:21:54 AM »
Thanks both for your input. I had assumed that this method of printing was only used for the design process to show concepts to execs etc.

It’s interesting to hear they may be used more widely. Perhaps they are used in very short print runs, as would be suggested by your Premier/Festival  examples Mark.

I’m not sure Tob if your Wanted posters were printed and used more widely, or if they are concepts only? Either way very nice!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 04:27:30 PM »

Here you go Tob.

Mark

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 04:45:42 PM »
Thanks Mark! Much appreciated. I hadn’t seen that before, I like it a lot.

I’m not sure Tob if your Wanted posters were printed and used more widely, or if they are concepts only?

I’m not sure either - I wonder if they were promo giveaways? Might explain how they ended up on eBay if a competition winner flogged them.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 04:25:22 PM »
This one:

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 10:41:04 AM »
Haven't seen that one before Dale. I assume that is also for a limited engagement?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 09:13:00 AM »
Correct, only see it for sale twice.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2021, 01:45:02 PM »
This one is:

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2021, 02:06:32 PM »
Nice. Does that one have the text such as Kodak printed across the back or do you just know that it’s photographic paper? I can understand Mark’s and Dales’s being printed on that type of paper but isn’t this one the wide release poster?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2021, 07:26:24 PM »
I believe it is Fuji or Fujifilm on the back.  I have ever seen another one of these, either for sale or in a collection.  I think it was for a one off premier of Letters From Iwo Jima that was shown as a double bill with Flags of Our Fathers.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 12:51:27 PM »
That's interesting, I've seen 1 copy offered before on Yahoo JP but I'm sure it's not an easy poster to track down. Maybe  the 1 I saw is the 1 you purchased?!?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 01:35:18 PM »
That's interesting, I've seen 1 copy offered before on Yahoo JP but I'm sure it's not an easy poster to track down. Maybe  the 1 I saw is the 1 you purchased?!?

I'm not sure.  I have had that one since '09 or '10
Schan
My Poster Gallery