Author Topic: December 2021  (Read 7674 times)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
December 2021
« on: December 01, 2021, 10:40:29 AM »
Got my package from Heritage today, so even though those posters were technically purchased last month, I'm including them in December.  I've been looking for a nice folded copy of The Devil Commands (1941) for a while (it tends to turn up every once in a while on linen, so I always passed on it), and I love Karloff's ominous face in the artwork. Same thing for The Uninvited (1944), which is an early example of the classic ghost story that has stood the test of time and is still very enjoyable (I also have the large French poster for that movie, with different artwork by the great Boris Grinsson).  I also got a title card for The Undying Monster (1942), a format that I typically don't collect since I prefer larger-sized paper, but I made an exception this time since I think it has superior graphics (I also have the insert for that same movie, which I recently posted here).
All 3 are fun, atmospheric flicks in my book. 

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: December 2021
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 10:30:22 AM »
Love the TC sir!

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 10:57:59 AM »
Nice stuff Antoine,
and you are correct - the TC and Insert are the two pieces to have from Undying Monster.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 07:54:33 PM »

Shared these last month when I won them. They just arrived fresh from Heritage!

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 10:22:56 PM »
Wow, they look incredible in person! Lucky guy :)

You'll have to share the final pics when they are framed and on the wall!

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 10:30:39 PM »
Wow, they look incredible in person! Lucky guy :)

You'll have to share the final pics when they are framed and on the wall!

Thank you!
I will 100% post final pictures next month when they are ready!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 12:01:38 PM »
Antoine: Patience pays off again, eh?!  Very nice condition on your great choices.

Riley540: The GWTW beauties arrived!  Yeah, I agree with Starling on looking forward to seeing them framed on your wall.  Nice.

Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 05:47:00 PM »
So Christmas arrived a little early at the Eatbrie household. 

A few months ago, someone on this forum (can't recall whom) posted a copy of the French Forbidden Planet and I was like, I need this NOW!  Well, it took a little time (I was really aiming for a folded copy) but I finally got one, albeit linenbacked.  It is in absolute mint condition, though, which is a must. 

Same with this French Gone With the Wind.  What makes this one cool, though, is that it could very well be the only 1949 copy in existence.  All French GwtW posters are from the 1953 re-release, reprinted from the original, and look quite awful.  Different colors and tones.  This one is from the very first release, signed Grinsson (and not D'Apres Grinsson), never been sold before.  Quite unique.  Really stunning in person.

The last two are fillers.  I collect Grace Kelly and Hitchcock, so they were no brainer.  To Catch a Thief and Green Fire.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 06:14:26 PM »
Hubba hubba, those are some special posters. Especially Forbidden Planet. The colours are gorgeous, so vivid. Congrats!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2021, 05:20:01 AM »
As ever, I just Love the Boris Grinsson works.

Sublime.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2021, 02:07:34 PM »
Sure is nice to see the Forbidden Planet on display, T!  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 05:56:26 PM »
Sure is nice to see the Forbidden Planet on display, T!  Okie

Hahaha You're funny about your obsession of displaying posters.  You know it's not my thing.  This one will be up for a few months until a better one comes around.  What will it be???  That's what the fun of collecting is all about.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 05:25:50 AM »
Absolutely love that Gone with the Wind French poster. Grinsson sure was a genius.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 02:35:32 PM »
Absolutely love that Gone with the Wind French poster. Grinsson sure was a genius.

Thanks :). I also like the idea of owning the only known copy of something.  It makes it a little more special.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 09:28:24 PM »
Better one, T?  I'm thinking you can also add "new one" and "equal one" in those choices.  When you get super beautiful posters like you do, are there many "better ones"? Okie

Hahaha You're funny about your obsession of displaying posters.  You know it's not my thing.  This one will be up for a few months until a better one comes around.  What will it be???  That's what the fun of collecting is all about.

T

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 02:19:43 AM »
There is always a better one.  The better one is the one you don't yet own.  The one to come.

T
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2021, 01:28:33 AM »
There is always a better one.  The better one is the one you don't yet own.  The one to come.

The true collector's motto - like the Bond family crest "The world is not enough"

Posted these in the Uni Horror thread, but they should be here also: The first lobbies in my twin sons collection.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2021, 08:58:38 AM »
My final purchase of 2021, one I have been after for quite a while.

Story of Star Wars picture disc poster

Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 11:03:04 PM »
Congratulations, Undead!  I hadn't seen your Star Wars poster before. What are the poster's dimensions?  Okie

My final purchase of 2021, one I have been after for quite a while.

Story of Star Wars picture disc poster

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 02:15:18 PM »
Thanks, it's 18" x 36". I have only seen a handful over the years come up for sale, maybe half a dozen or so. Three of those came up likely from one seller sending them to EMP.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 05:18:49 PM »
Love the Forbidden Planet. That GWTW is a beauty as well. Congrats.

So Christmas arrived a little early at the Eatbrie household. 

A few months ago, someone on this forum (can't recall whom) posted a copy of the French Forbidden Planet and I was like, I need this NOW!  Well, it took a little time (I was really aiming for a folded copy) but I finally got one, albeit linenbacked.  It is in absolute mint condition, though, which is a must. 

Same with this French Gone With the Wind.  What makes this one cool, though, is that it could very well be the only 1949 copy in existence.  All French GwtW posters are from the 1953 re-release, reprinted from the original, and look quite awful.  Different colors and tones.  This one is from the very first release, signed Grinsson (and not D'Apres Grinsson), never been sold before.  Quite unique.  Really stunning in person.

The last two are fillers.  I collect Grace Kelly and Hitchcock, so they were no brainer.  To Catch a Thief and Green Fire.

T