Author Topic: Thunderball help  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Pelham

• Beginner
Thunderball help
« on: October 28, 2021, 09:40:19 AM »
Hi all,

A few years ago at a book collectors fair I picked up a handful of trade adds that appear to have been cut from Kinematograph Weekly. Among them was this Thunderball one. Unlike the rest, the Thunderball one is single sided with nothing printed on the reverse. The others all have Kinematograph related printing on the reverse and are a few millimetres shorter width wise (probably where they were trimmed from the magazine?). Other differences are the paper seems to be of a very slightly better weight and feel with better print colouring and glossier blacks (just visible on the second pic). Layout wise, it’s the same as other UK trade adds but this one has no border or is specific to any cinema. It’s 8 1/2” by 11”.

Any help in identifying what it is would be most appreciated.

Regards,

J

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Thunderball help
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 11:51:24 AM »
I have no idea but I have sent this link along to a couple of people who may have an idea.

Offline Pelham

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 06:04:19 PM »
Thanks Simes, any info appreciated. Been banging my head against a wall with this one. Wondering if some of the images I’ve seen of other trade adds have been backed, hence the border, perhaps. Still, seems odd there’s nothing printed on the back.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 05:17:02 AM »
A couple of opinions.

From Germany, "I know that some cinemas printed flyers / hand-outs for TB. Example below"

From the US "Everything about this item screams "fake" to me. It looks to be in perfect condition, no folds, pinholes, foxing, or fading at all. It looks a little too perfect. The colors are very deep and bright, a little too bright to my eye. Also a blank backed magazine ad? Never happened. Unless I'm way off the mark, it smells of repro to me."

We may never know.

Offline Pelham

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 08:50:29 AM »
Thanks for doing some leg work on this Simes, always good to get a few opinions. I’ve taken a few more pics of it alongside a trade ad from Kine that’s the closest I have in release date to Thunderball (by a year or two I believe). Most of the others I have are from the 50’s. To me, the condition and print quality are on a reasonable par. I’ve taken the reverse side of each and a couple of closer print/colour comparisons. Hopefully this may be of use to someone in identifying the print. They’ve been stored away since I got them in the mid to late 90’s and forgot I had them until recently.

J

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 06:30:26 AM »
Ok, fair play.

I will chuck the link back to them.  Maybe we pay more attention to the first opinion...?

All very interesting sir.  Thanks.

Offline Pelham

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 08:01:05 AM »
A bit more digging about and found this one on eBay which has the same borderless printing and similar colour work but does have a Kine front page on the rear (with some lovely Cul-de-sac artwork too).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393110213712

Still doesn’t answer the query on mine though. Ah well.

J