Author Topic: September 2021  (Read 9382 times)

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
September 2021
« on: September 03, 2021, 07:40:42 PM »
I am so, so very excited to share this one! This poster is like a dream come true for me. I searched and searched ever since I began my poster collecting journey. I could find ZERO evidence of this poster ever existing. I asked with many different sellers, checked different auction sites. Nothing. The only clue I had that a poster might exist was a picture* on IMDB that *looked* like it might be a one sheet, but I couldn't be sure because it was very low quality. I checked eBay every day for so long, kept tabs on auction sites. I was almost ready to give up hope and buy the only (cheap looking) 11x17 reproduction print I could find....and then it happened! I FINALLY managed to get my hands on an original one sheet for 1983's "The Vals"!!! I am a huge fan of the film, which seems to have largely been forgotten to time. I have so much memorabilia from the film, the script, a marketing guide, press photos, several different tapes from the US and different countries...but this was one thing that kept eluding me until now. So...here it is...the extremely rare one sheet for one of most underrated and forgotten films of all time!

I will never, ever give this one up for anything...it means so much to me, and to have it in person finally? It still feels so unreal. I can't wait to get it its own frame and put together a special spot for it along with all my other memorabilia from this film.
It's just crazy how this one sheet didn't seem to exist ANYWHERE until now. Not even any foreign posters for it are available, that I know of. This film just seemed to have so much bad luck surrounding it with the companies supporting it/releasing it going bankrupt the same year it was out. It makes me wonder just how limited the theatrical release for it was, since no other one sheets seem to have survived for this film anywhere.

*Here is the IMDB picture in question that gave me hope a one sheet might exist, but as you can see it looks nothing like the one I have. I have to wonder what the source for this picture is...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: September 2021
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 07:58:51 PM »
It's a lot of fun to finally get something you've been after for so long.  I haven't had this feeling in a very, very long time, but I remember it well.  Kudos to you!

I had never heard of this movie, so I searched it on wikipedia and it doesn't even have a page.  You should create one, if only to make sure it is not completely forgotten.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 05:29:30 AM »
Congrats on your special poster pick up Heather.

Hold my hands up I'm the same as "T" and have never heard of this film, which is kind of a surprise as I see it's from the 80's, usually heard of most films from that period even if I've never seen them, do know some of the actors though.

As T already said it's always a nice feeling if you can find a poster that you've been after for a long time, I also have not had the feeling for quite some time as I've been going through a major dry spell over the last year or so, anyway nice find thumbsup.gif

Online bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 08:57:06 PM »

Got these back from linenbacking. Haven’t been buying much recently as prices gone crazy and not a fan of the eBay GSP program. So I decided to get some posters linebacked and ready for frames.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 11:42:02 PM »
Those look great Mike!  Did you get them backed here in Canada?
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 11:45:35 PM »
Long time coming but very happy to finally add this one to the collection!  ;D

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 11:54:47 PM by CSM »
Chris

Online bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 07:58:08 AM »
Nice addition as well Chris. Yes, backed in Canada by Dan.

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 01:23:15 PM »

Love the look of that!  Awesome pick up

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 01:59:49 PM »
Got these back from linenbacking. Haven’t been buying much recently as prices gone crazy and not a fan of the eBay GSP program.

I’m with you here, not on the linen backing but on the crazy prices.  I think I’m buying about half of what I was buying 3 years ago.  Not much out there, Bruce once a month, HA out of reach, and the rest extremely overpriced.  I see posters that I bought 5 years ago go for 10 times what I paid for.  Not exaggerating.  It’s insane.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 03:13:24 PM »
I picked these up on Ebay yesterday. Trimmed sadly, but just of their blank borders. From the 1939 Roadshow release!

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 04:31:22 AM »
I’m with you here, not on the linen backing but on the crazy prices.  I think I’m buying about half of what I was buying 3 years ago.  Not much out there, Bruce once a month, HA out of reach, and the rest extremely overpriced.  I see posters that I bought 5 years ago go for 10 times what I paid for.  Not exaggerating.  It’s insane.

T

Hey! T,

So well said mate, you are so right about the crazy prices these days, in the UK some dealer websites are basically taking the pi** with the prices of certain posters, I've been pretty much priced out of the market for the most part, and in truth even if I had money to burn I don't think I'd be prepared to pay some of today's asking prices, there has to be a sensible limit IMO.

Also agree that posters that were reasonable prices just a few years ago are now crazy priced and most certainly out of reach for many collector's because of it, so you are quite right "insane" pretty much sums up the way things have headed in recent times.

In the UK it seems as though practically "everything" has gone up in price since all this Covid, even essentials like food shopping etc. have gone up with no sign of things slowing down or getting any better, basically everything seems expensive today :'(

Online bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 06:55:34 AM »
It's like everything and every hobby had price increases.
I am also into classic cars. What I don't understand is that people will try to sell rust buckets at extremely high prices (at least some decent prices in the US still). Where parts of the car are rotted/rusted. Custom panels, etc, would need to be made. and they are demanding high dollar when they have no idea how much money would go into it. You can find one done for less money.
Remember when you could get your kids into the card hobby for fun. Now some hobby packs/boxes go for $3000 lol..

Back to the posters.
I remember me and T bidding on this poster pre Covid. It's something that hardly comes up and I really wanted it in my collection. And I still don't have it. Pre-covid or early covid it finally comes out at auction. I was outbid, and this other bidder came on outbid all of us.. I want this poster in my collection, not sure if T found one yet either? (I'm not saying the name here as guests may watch and draws attention and they put it on their radar too) haven't seen it on your website yet. But now, I'm terrified to see the price when it comes up now and what it may sell for...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 11:02:52 AM »
Ha!  Not really a classic car but I drive a 50 year old Bronco and that thing is costing me so much when it breaks.  But it's so fun to drive :)

Not remembering what poster you're talking about.  PM me.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 02:36:06 PM »
Nice addition as well Chris. Yes, backed in Canada by Dan.

Thanks Mike!  Looks like Dan did another nice job - congrats
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 03:01:01 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about that poster Mike, and I still want it.  Not looking for it though, I don’t do that anymore, but if it shows up again, I’ll go for it again.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 08:26:59 PM »
Ha!  Not really a classic car but I drive a 50 year old Bronco a

T

I didn't know that T!  I have a '74 myself.  It isn't so much when it breaks, but the 10.5 mpg that gets me!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 09:10:44 PM »
Starling: Pretty cool that you found these on eBay!  Looks like the South rose again out in Californ-I-A! 

HeatherMason: Congrats on finding The Vals! I think a young Nicolas Kim Coppola would be proud!

Big Mike: I'm a fan of the first movie adaptation of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend featuring Vincent Price.  It's quite creepy and timely today as well.  Nice poster. 

Okie
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:24:36 PM by okiehawker »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 09:12:22 PM »
Hot dog, Chris!  Very cool!  Okie

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2021, 04:41:43 PM »
So pleased for you, Chris. I love the Body Snatcher, Karloff at his best..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »
Thanks Starling, Okie & Paul!!
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2021, 05:20:24 PM »
Here is one that actually makes me happy :) so I'm posting it.

Its a French billboard (8 pieces, 118x156in). 

I was 9 when the movie came out in Paris, and I remember going to my grandmother's apartment after school and seeing this huge poster plastered to a wall alongside this little train station in the 16 arrondissement.  How could I not, right?  This is, to my recollection, the first time I ever noticed a movie poster.  So I bought it just for pure nostalgia.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2021, 05:30:00 PM »
I didn't know that T!  I have a '74 myself.  It isn't so much when it breaks, but the 10.5 mpg that gets me!

True, not the best gas mileage, but my wife drives a Tessla, so between the 2 of us, I figured we're within California regulations hahah

Here's my toy car :)  Let's just say that it doesn't go unnoticed.

T
My Personal Collection

Online bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2021, 08:05:23 PM »
Wow. Nice Shining Poster! and nice Bronco T!

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2021, 08:41:54 PM »
Thierry, I can relate to your story about seeing the poster for The Shining while being a kid in Paris, since it came out when I was about the same age as you were (7 to be exact).  I remember seeing that huge poster on the concave walls in various Metro stations and thinking that the movie looked terrifying, lol.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2021, 10:07:45 PM »
Mine was at the top of boulevard beausejour at la Muette :)

T
My Personal Collection