Author Topic: July 2021  (Read 11188 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
July 2021
« on: July 03, 2021, 08:25:10 PM »
Happy 4th of July to all of of you 'Mericans!

I guess I have kinda started buying a bit lately. I am not sure if I am getting heavy back into the hobby or just came across some things lately that I like.  Either way.........

This puts me one closer to finishing the Boris Vallejo collection.  I wasn't sure if this actually existed in poster format.  Heritage sold the original art a few years back for near what I could pay but more than I wished to at the time.  I had seen the art on the DVD cover, but none of the big auction houses had ever auctioned a one sheet nor was there even an image of a one sheet available online.  I was convinced after all these years that it never receveid a theatrical realease, so I was legitimately shocked to see this one show up for sale!  I wonder how many theaters showed this film in 1986.

Also, has there ever been a better tag line (specifically referencing the sneaky one at the bottom)?

Robot spiders, thieving ninjas, an undead wizard named Lee Chuck, and Angela Aames/Melanie Vincz.  It is a TERRIBLE movie.

And completing the Mother Lode trio...an Aussie one sheet.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 03:02:57 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: July 2021
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 09:57:37 AM »
Schan is back in action! Fun painted poster art!  Okie

Offline bogusthumper

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 07:19:53 PM »
First post. New to collecting. Got this Martin poster. Yet to be framed. And half this COAHTR half sheet on its way in the mail.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 07:46:57 PM »
Beautiful Cat on a Hot Thin Roof!!!   notworthy.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 09:52:58 AM »
Beautiful Cat on a Hot Thin Roof!!!   notworthy.gif

T

What he said!
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 01:54:10 PM »
Always been a little envious of your Vallejo collection but that is something else - outstanding! Never seen this one before at all. And yeah, that tag line is funny!

I guess I have kinda started buying a bit lately. I am not sure if I am getting heavy back into the hobby or just came across some things lately that I like.  Either way.........

This puts me one closer to finishing the Boris Vallejo collection.  I wasn't sure if this actually existed in poster format.  Heritage sold the original art a few years back for near what I could pay but more than I wished to at the time.  I had seen the art on the DVD cover, but none of the big auction houses had ever auctioned a one sheet nor was there even an image of a one sheet available online.  I was convinced after all these years that it never receveid a theatrical realease, so I was legitimately shocked to see this one show up for sale!  I wonder how many theaters showed this film in 1986.

Also, has there ever been a better tag line (specifically referencing the sneaky one at the bottom)?

Robot spiders, thieving ninjas, an undead wizard named Lee Chuck, and Angela Aames/Melanie Vincz.  It is a TERRIBLE movie.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 03:03:48 PM by kovacs01 »

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 10:28:13 PM »
Well...I ended up losing two auctions that I really wanted to win...I thought I set high enough max bids and the listings ended at a time I wouldn't be available.
I was trying to get my hands on the Savage Streets Australian one sheet and the License To Drive Australian video promo poster.

So instead of those two I ended up getting a poster I had my eyes on but wasn't going to go out of my way to win. I placed a bid with no maximum bid and just let it play out...and the poster ended up selling for much less that I thought it would. There seemed to be a lot of interest and I thought it would go for more. It's the Sleepaway Camp video store poster. I'm not really a fan of the poster's design, but I love the movie and its soundtrack so owning this poster is another way to show my love for it. I also own the Shout Factory poster so it's great to have one more to go with it. This is another I didn't even know existed until it showed up on eBay, but I'm happy to be its owner now. Hoping to be able to get my hands on the posters for the other two films someday. :)

Here's one that I am really happy with. It's the original one sheet for Friday The 13th. The first film had a much better poster than any other film in the franchise as most were just text with no artwork. I'm also just a huge fan of the first film and the franchise in general!
I've wanted to own one of these for a while now, but in the last few months the price on this one seems to have jumped up from just over $100 to the $500+ range, at least from listings I see on eBay. I just couldn't justify spending that much, but I was able to get this one at a pretty great deal!
The poster has definitely seen some love over the years as it's not in perfect condition (you can still see where the poster was hung up in the theater from leftover tape/pin holes) but it looks beautiful in person and in a frame. The picture I took does not do it justice! (It looks stained, but that's just lighting/shadows in the picture.)
I'm going to meet Adrienne King and Ari Lehman next month and I'm going to have them autograph this one for me, which was one of my main motivations for getting one now!
Someday I'll collect the rest of the posters I need for the first eight Friday The 13th films as they seem to be more reasonably priced compared to this one and it'll be great to display them together!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 02:02:13 AM »
Lose some, win some, eh Heather Mason!  I clicked on your Friday the 13th image and along with seeing your poster, there was a wedding gift idea ad of a front door mat that said "The Lake House" and the wedding couple's name.  Fantastic! Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 11:35:08 AM »
Great posters, Heather Mason!  I'd really like to get the theatrical one sheet for Sleepaway Camp, but only in mint condition and it sells for too much, so it might not be for me :(  Nice to see that video one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 04:08:35 PM »
Thank you okiehawker and eatbrie!
Sometimes it is hard to say where you draw the line on price of a poster - rarity and condition definitely come into play as well as how much you really want it. Some I regret letting go as they may never show up again, and others I know I can live without.

Funny enough (since you mention weddings) I was planning on proposing to my now fiance at Camp Crystal Lake before the pandemic hit, but our visit got cancelled because of it and instead he ended up proposing to me!

Offline snapshot

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 08:15:14 PM »
First posters finally arrived, I'll definitely have to figure out display options soon.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 08:24:11 PM »
Nice ones, snapshot. I hadn’t seen that second Luca poster before, I need to get one now!

Offline snapshot

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 08:38:59 PM »
Thanks, there's apparently a third one out there as well. Also I noticed that these say "in cinemas soon" instead of "summer 2021" Does that mean I'll have to go find more variants if I want them all?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 08:59:16 PM »
It's hard to tell these days.  Some movies went straight to streaming services in the US, so all the posters say Coming Soon with no specific dates since they are released at different times internationally.  Others, like Luca, were supposed to come out theatrically in the US and then Disney decided to have it go straight to Disney +.  If you look at my collection of animated movies below, you'll see the blue Luca poster with a summer release that never happened.  So this specific poster does exist.  The 2nd international you posted, I don't think exists with a US date, but I could be wrong.

https://www.moviepostersgallery.com/animation/

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2021, 12:56:14 PM »
Dont think the Luca final ever released in the US theatrically unfortunately. That said, it might still pop up on Disney rewards, so might watch that.

Offline snapshot

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2021, 06:50:39 PM »
Dont think the Luca final ever released in the US theatrically unfortunately. That said, it might still pop up on Disney rewards, so might watch that.
Thanks, I'll grab one if it does show up.

So this one I got off of ebay. Original listing here and I'm a little disappointed with the condition. The back is blank but the description did say double sided. What should I do in this situation, contact the seller?

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2021, 07:16:25 PM »
I would ask Ebay for a refund as the item was not as described and I wouldn't want it. The seller should also pay your return shipping with a prepaid label. I have done this before - I think you have 30 days to make the claim.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 07:18:42 PM by ealingmovieposters »
Regards

Ian

Offline snapshot

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2021, 10:53:43 PM »
I would ask Ebay for a refund as the item was not as described and I wouldn't want it. The seller should also pay your return shipping with a prepaid label. I have done this before - I think you have 30 days to make the claim.

Thanks, I submitted the request and was issued a refund. Now to go hunt for a copy that's not damaged.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 11:08:28 AM »
Schan is back in action! Fun painted poster art!  Okie

The man has good taste. I love Amazons.  ;D

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
Nowhere to Go - Ealing Italian 2p - 4 Fogli
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 03:24:31 PM »
You guys have turned me onto Italian posters and I am really pleased with this (Nowhere to go) addition to my Ealing collection.
It is in two pieces for a total of 55x78 inches - It is all there and displays really well.

Regards

Ian

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 08:11:48 PM »
Great pieces.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2021, 06:53:38 AM »
Very cool, Schan...those Boris Vallejo posters are superb, I love his style.

Here are 3 I got relatively recently (I am really behind with taking photos of new stuff)...

Japanese B0 for 'Perfect Blue'

Screen print for 'The Handmaiden' by Tula Lotay for Mondo

Screen print for 'The Lost Boys' by Frederick Cooper. This is printed on red foil paper, so the title/credits, vampires' mouths and eyes reflect when they catch the light. It's a nice effect that is hard to photograph, so I've tried to capture it (badly) in a little video...sorry for filming in portrait mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onzg8ycjgB0
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 06:55:15 AM by Tob »

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2021, 09:06:22 AM »
Nice posters Tob (love the reflecting effect on the Lost Boys!). 

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2021, 10:25:48 AM »
Yup Lost boys poster looks awesome  bed1

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2021, 10:47:59 PM »
Never seen the Lost Boys, now want one... Thanks
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!