Author Topic: A new board....  (Read 3260 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
A new board....
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:53:30 AM »
I order from amazon a book called "Anime Poster Art - Japan's Movie House Masterpieces"  I collect a lot of Japanese posters, and I have a pretty detailed subset for anime posters.  I was therefore excited to get the book.  I was really surprised that it was published 2003 and I'm just getting to it now, because I previously didn't know it was around.

Not only to I collect books and other materials like this, but I really enjoy reading them, and I find them immense tools for understanding my own collection.  I've pretty much collected anime posters for several years based on what I like, and I find that about 70% of the posters in this "new" book are already in my collection, because they appeal to others apparently as they do to me.

Anyway, the point of this new topic is to gather in one board all such research materials, reference materials, books, pamphlets, websites, etc. that contain useful information to the poster collecting community at large.  I'm sure there will be a bunch of postings as the obvious stuff gets cataloged.  I would thing the really interesting stuff will occur after this first round gets over with. 

How about this?  I don't know what the complete run of Bruce's books is.  Also, I did not know until recently that many (all?) of them were published in hard cover too.  This kind of information is useful to the collector of the books themselves, as intrinsic collectibles on their own, as well as to complete that run as an informational resource.

I have about 50 or so books relating to posters.  I'll put them up soon, after I recover from two days of cooking and eating.  I think an image of the book should be posted too - it's always easier to browse images. 

I'm curious to see where this goes.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: A new board....
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 01:09:26 AM »
NS4 has a thread that was started a few years ago, for movie poster books, but which did not seem to get much traction.

http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/1279/t/Re-MOVIE-POSTER-BOOKS.html?page=-1

Phil's comments are good about id data.

To be clear, I'd like to see this thread go beyond what Phil started.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 07:22:08 AM »
Great idea.  Look forward to seeing how this thread develops pcorn

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:54:04 PM »
Sorry, I missed this thread while in China.  I think this is a great idea!  I love poster books as often they are the only source for info on rare posters that haven't made it to eMovie, HA, Christie's, etc...  Plus, I stare at computer screens all day every day for work... sometimes it is just nice to be able to flip through a good old fashioned book.

One more we might add is Dominique's catalogs.  She just published CATALOG 15.  If any of you have PDF copies of her older catalogs I would appreciate it if you could share them.