Author Topic: Hello all! I'm a little new to the hobby, but looking forward to learning!  (Read 4211 times)

Offline mazeboy13

• Beginner
Hello everyone! My name's Andy.

A little bit about myself, I now live in Japan and I love collecting anime and video game related posters. I been collecting as a light hobby since I was in high school, but have only recently gotten into truly investible / collectible pieces.

Since I've had a little bit of time on my hands as of late, I've decided that I'd like to try to turn my hobby into a small business by starting a website where one can purchase authentic anime and video game related posters, especially those that are "not for sale" or only available here in Japan. Nothing serious, just on the side, at least for the time being.

So recently I've been purchasing posters that I hope to make available to others in the near future and have come to the point where I need to put some serious effort into authentication, knowing that there are so many fakes out there. 

In my pursuit of this, I found this forum. I've already learned A LOT from the collective knowledge of this place, especially the authentication thread, and hope that I might be able to ask some questions and share information with everyone here!

Also, if anyone is looking for something in Japan, or just has some questions about it, please let me know! I'd be happy to have the opportunity to learn a little bit more in the process!

Glad to be here!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Hi Andy! Welcome to the forum!  welcome1

Do you have a link to your website? Or still in the build phase?

I like some of the art on Japanese video game posters (particularly the Street Fighter series and anything by Hideo Kojima), but stopped short of buying any in the past as I spend enough on film posters as it is! Have you seen any posters for 'Last of Us' or 'Last of Us Part 2'? I saw Kojima did some art for Part 2, but it looks like it was digital only.

Offline mazeboy13

• Beginner
Hey Tob! Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm still in the building phase of my site at the moment, but hopefully I'll finish it in the next month or so.  The site itself is already done, but I'm trying to authenticate my stock (only about 100 posters) before I put it all on there.  I'll let you know once I get it up and running if you'd like!

I'm actually a big capcom and Kojima fan as well!  I even purchased a nice Capcom vs SNK piece last week.  As for the Last of Us artwork, I've seen it as well.  It was drawn by Yoji Shinkawa from Kojima, but after some research, it seems that you're right and it was only available digitally.  Oddly enough, I haven't been able to find a single poster or promotional piece originating from Japan for the last of us series here, although I did find some imports from the US.  It seems like they didn't do any print advertisement at all!

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
Welcome Andy!  Looking forward to seeing your site :)
Whereabouts in Japan are you?  I'm in Aichi prefecture  welcome1

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Welcome Andy!  I spent a few years in Japan myself.  It is a fun place to collect..........look forward to seeing your site.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Hello, Andy!  I wanted to also wish you well on your venture. Good luck to you and thanks for joining the forum.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline mazeboy13

• Beginner
I have to say, I've been a member of this forum going on 4 or so days now, and this is the nicest forum I've even been a member of!

Welcome Andy!  Looking forward to seeing your site :)
Whereabouts in Japan are you?  I'm in Aichi prefecture  welcome1
Thanks! I'm in Kochi at the moment, but heading to Osaka in a few months.  Super excited about it, there are no poster shops here!  I thought it was strange that you had been giving so much advice about Japanese posters around here. 

Welcome Andy!  I spent a few years in Japan myself.  It is a fun place to collect..........look forward to seeing your site.
Thanks! It is a great place to collect things, I think.  People here tend to be so meticulous!

Hello, Andy!  I wanted to also wish you well on your venture. Good luck to you and thanks for joining the forum.
Thanks, I'm really happy that I found this place!  Turns out it's a great place to be!