Author Topic: Japanese poster size  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
Japanese poster size
« on: March 26, 2021, 01:41:51 PM »
Hi, I bought a Japanese poster for Thunder In Carolina thinking it was a tatekan. Now the odd thing is that it's a one-piece poster measuring 33x62". As an experienced moneythrower to posters the last 25-30 years my first thought was fake or repro. Still can be of course, but the back with Japanese writing and rather rough paper (somewhere between regular and half sheet paper) it looks worn enough and I mean it's for Thunder In Carolina not Casablanca. Who'd make a 33x62 inch fake? Anyone here heard of this size for a Japanese poster. The seller calls it "western style-poster" for what it's worth.

Wim

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
Re: Japanese poster size
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 05:55:03 PM »
Photos?

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 09:31:59 PM »
Sounds like it is a B0 to me. Sizes for them can vary but although 33x62 sounds a little narrow to me for one I do not think it is outside the realm of reason.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 03:34:40 PM »
Heard from a very reputable source that it is called a "kingsize" and that it is a rare size.

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 01:37:45 AM »
Hi there,

Anyone knowledgeable about Japanese posters or dealt with Exoticoriginals (Google for it)?  A bit puzzled by the quantity of posters offered, especially extremely rare - as per sale pitches - being available again and again, sometimes in set of 3, most at half price of market price.  May be I miss something, may be pre-70s poster were printed in large quantity??   
Ref. Marquee warned us - http://marqueeposter.com/authentication-beware-of-japanese-bootleg-posters/
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 03:30:14 AM »
Hi there,

Anyone knowledgeable about Japanese posters or dealt with Exoticoriginals (Google for it)?  A bit puzzled by the quantity of posters offered, especially extremely rare - as per sale pitches - being available again and again, sometimes in set of 3, most at half price of market price.  May be I miss something, may be pre-70s poster were printed in large quantity??   
Ref. Marquee warned us - http://marqueeposter.com/authentication-beware-of-japanese-bootleg-posters/

Which posters specifically?

I think his wares are legit, but like most dealers, his prices are above ‘market value’ (from what I can see, he seems to source his posters from places like Yahoo). Some of his sales pitches on Instagram can be full of hyperbole, so take with a pinch of salt about rareness and market value.

I think he does also sell repros, but under a different account.

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 09:13:55 AM »
Thanks Tob.    Unlike JapanPosterUK, there is no picture of the back so it is hard to say.
Totally agree, the all sale pitches is overkilling me... so is the tone. And come again and again.... He lives in Bangkok so yeah he must definitely sell repros imo :)  a bit murky indeed.

I was looking for a revenge-movie poster, with Meiko Kaji the better... or mild pinku-revenge....
Should I understand from what you say that Japanese posters from the 60s-70s - even classics such as Irezumi (1966) - are actually plenty?

I am interested to hear where I can source some at fair price.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 02:11:03 PM »
Anyone knowledgeable about Japanese posters or dealt with Exoticoriginals (Google for it)?  A bit puzzled by the quantity of posters offered, especially extremely rare - as per sale pitches - being available again and again, sometimes in set of 3, most at half price of market price. 

Are you serious? I just looked at his instagram and the only way you would even think those are anywhere close to market price is if you only used Japanposteruk for a reference.
I happen to think Japanposter prices everything at double or higher market value - great example they are asking $12,500 for a War of the Gargantuas tatekan like the one that just sold for $1560 at Heritage.

A quick look at Emovieposter results will let you figure out Exoticoriginals.
But no reason to think he is selling repros.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 01:19:18 AM »
Are you serious? I just looked at his instagram and the only way you would even think those are anywhere close to market price is if you only used Japanposteruk for a reference.

I admit, I only used the other one as a reference.   Typical anchoring bias :p

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 06:50:03 PM »
simple math

Exoticoriginals = numbnuts

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2023, 02:24:48 AM »
 ;D ;D