Author Topic: Advice for Novice Collectors in Learning How to Recognize Fakes  (Read 5045 times)

Offline airgoose21

• Beginner
Hi everyone, I'm really glad to be part of the community and I'm excited to start building my collection. So far I've bought a few one sheets on eBay and I'm concerned about the possibility of buying fakes. The posters I've copped so far haven't been extremely sought-after ones (a Marvel Black Panther teaser, Revenge of the Sith, etc.) but I worry nonetheless. I feel bad about posting pictures of all my posters on here to make sure they're original, especially when I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. I'd like to learn how to start recognizing fakes for myself.

I've done a little bit of research and know that the fakes are most common with the more popular posters. I definitely don't plan on buying any prominent posters like Jaws or Pulp Fiction from eBay, but what about less-prominent ones? I'm curious how the big boys like Bruce, Heritage, and other reliable auctioning sites are able to check for authenticity of these smaller-scale posters that don't really have any authentication guides online. I'm sure a huge part of it is experience holding and looking at countless posters, but are there any tell-tale signs of fakes that can be conveyed in words that beginners should be aware of when buying posters from places like eBay?

I'd really appreciate any advice. I'm just honored to be part of the community.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
Re: Advice for Novice Collectors in Learning How to Recognize Fakes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 07:15:00 PM »
"I'm curious how the big boys like Bruce, Heritage, and other reliable auctioning sites are able to check for authenticity of these smaller-scale posters that don't really have any authentication guides online."

I can only speak for eMoviePoster.com. We have sold more of those "smaller-scale posters" than anyone else, and we study every poster to see if it has any tell-tale signs of being a fake, from odd paper quality, to fuzzy or mis-cropped printing, etc.

And we alone have a LIFETIME GUARANTEE as to originality on all we auction. If we EVER discover a poster was from a different release than we thought it was (or an outright fake), then we offer a 100% refund, including shipping, even YEARS after the sale. And we alone track down the past buyers so that they don't have to discover it themselves.

Of course, we try hard to never make errors, but with 1.7 million auctions, it does happen, and we have offered several thousand refunds over the years (usually because we discover a non-U.S. poster we thought was first release was actually a re-release.

Bruce
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline airgoose21

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 10:57:09 PM »
Thanks for the response Bruce! I absolutely love emovieposters.com and spend all my spare time browsing it. I can tell you guys are the real deal. My question definitely only applies to purchasing from other, less reliable sources. Do you guys come across very many fake U.S. posters that people try to consign? If so, what are the usual signs that they're fake? For example, in what way is the paper quality odd? I guess my main question is if you could elaborate on some of these tell-tale signs.

I understand that question might be hard to answer in a forum, and it might ultimately come down to experience handling millions of posters. If that's the case then no worries. Probably every collector has to have a few run-ins with fakes.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 11:21:10 PM »
That's actually an interesting question, and one I don't have an answer to.  Typing this makes me realize how much I've learned collecting posters for the last 20 years.  What I would advise, since you seem to be collecting modern posters, is to stick to sellers you trust.  Otherwise, I would say it comes from having handled so many, obviously the size, the printing quality, the paper thickness, the backside and the smell.  Yes, the smell.  Also, as you said, only some popular titles have been reprinted and most are undersized.  I would also advise you not to buy from Asia, unless you know the seller.  A few are reliable, but most of them are not.  Finally, going forward, I would tell you to buy the posters as soon as they hit Ebay and not a day later.  The sooner you buy new posters, the less you will be dealing with potential reprints,

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline airgoose21

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 11:58:37 PM »
Thank you so much Thierry, your advice is gold. I figured it's kind of a nuanced question. But I really appreciate it. Thanks for looking out for us little guys!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 01:42:24 PM »
If something on ebay looks right and priced where you want it to be, pull the trigger IF the seller has a no hassle return policy. Only thing you lose is the hassle of a return trip to the post office. Pay close attention to feedback re: packaging/shipping info...if nothing is listed, drop the seller a quick note and see how they package, what tubes they use (ask for yazoo for example), if they roll the poster loose enough to breathe, if the poster is in a bag, and so on. So many sellers roll something up and drop it in a flimsy tube and you are screwed right out the gate even if the poster is OG...by the time you get it, you cannot get the poster out as it has expanded on the inner tube walls and has taken some dings due to the cheapo tube.

Ultimately, T is right, find the legit sellers and stick with them.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 02:34:43 PM »
This thread got me thinking about how little physical contact, with people or posters, is involved in transactions these days. I remember back in the 1980's buying posters from cinema employees (either at their home or the actual cinema) and sifting through hundreds of posters before buying some or all. I soon got used to the smell, size and touch of posters from the 50's and later. I also enjoyed chatting to the sellers about movies, actors etc. Currently I use mainly emovieposter for major sales and purchases but you might want to consider 'craigslist' or similar local classified ads. I have made two purchases in the past six months from my local cragislist. The first was from a guy who just wanted Peter Sellers posters and had others to sell. The second was from a guy who had was selling his son's modern posters, as he had 'grown out of them'. Anyway I really enjoyed meeting these individuals, looking through their posters and chatting with them, you can also get an idea of where they acquired the posters to judge authenticity but candidly I would only buy cheaper posters so put it down to experience if they turn out fake. In both cases they let me have the posters really cheaply, although it wasn't my intention to beat them down in price it turned out they just wanted to get rid of them quickly. So you might want to give the local classifieds a try for the lower valued posters, more for the experience and coming into contact with sellers and posters.
Regards

Ian

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 10:48:09 PM »
This thread got me thinking about how little physical contact, with people or posters, is involved in transactions these days. I remember back in the 1980's buying posters from cinema employees (either at their home or the actual cinema) and sifting through hundreds of posters before buying some or all. I soon got used to the smell, size and touch of posters from the 50's and later.
I wish I would've had an opportunity like this.
As someone new to collecting, it's definitely much harder for me to know what's real and what's fake, so I have to trust that the sellers I'm buying from are being honest.
It doesn't help that so many authentic ones can feel/look different than others. I have a few that came from the same theater (they definitely have that "smell" to them), but there's a difference in how they feel/how thick they are/etc.
I'm always worried that I'm paying good money for fakes, but I guess that just comes with the hobby.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 11:39:22 AM »
Assume it is original. This goes against what people are probably preaching, but full sized, double sided reproductions are not cheap to produce and unless a box office smash or a cult classic, not worth the time or effort to reproduce.

Find sellers you can trust, and stick with them. Unfortunately, 90% of ebay sellers absolutely cannot get a poster from point A to B in good shape. There are titles that are tough to come by for the smaller film companies that you may have to roll the dice on, but major studio releases, stick to those you trust or prepare to be disappointed over and over again. In addition, over grading is a serious problem on ebay.

Dont buy inserts (14x36) from the 80's unless you buy from Bruce, Dave, Kirby, Peter, Rich or one of the other guys that have been around a long time and have had enough of these to know the tells on these.

Reproductions normally can be spotted quickly, wrong paper, size, printed on large format so paper has a texture, pixelated image etc.

Dont buy French posters unless you buy from someone that knows what they are doing. TONS of rerleased stuff, often advertised as original release and incorrect.

Single sided posters are still printed, that does not mean they are fake. Canada still does a lot of single sided stuff, normally 27x39 though in size.

Rolled posters exist for most titles post 80s and likewise folded still existed into the 90's.  Pre 88 rolled will bring a premium, likewise post late 80s folded will take a major value hit.

Dealer sites, prices are retail, some even over inflated, but there are costs involved with running these operations, so dont be shamed from buying from them. You just need to be comfortable with the price regardless of the poster police telling you what a value should be.

learnaboutmovieposter.com is your friend, still hard to navigate, but useful information for beginners and quite a bit of back story on the hobby as well.

Reference the bad seller list on the board, there are some you absolutely should not buy from, period.  Some 50/50, personal judgement, but a useful tool to reference.

Have patience, unless you are a universal horror collector, posters will come up for sale again, so dont be afraid to walk away from a bidding war.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 07:48:39 PM »
^

This is a good list!!!  Should be pinned somewhere.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 08:33:01 AM »
Agree, that's really good advice Dale. Great post. Dale's too humble to include himself in that list of trusted sellers, but here's a link to his store - http://www.ebaystores.com/Movie-Posters-4U

Dale - one day when you're bored, any chance you can take a video of how you roll posters for shipping please? Specifically how you get 3 or 4 one sheets to all line up together perfectly? I probably should know how to do it after so long! But I'm a bit cack handed.

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 08:46:15 AM »
That's a great question Tob. I've often wondered what's the best method for rolling multiple posters, say in rolls of up to 40, for storage. I can never get them to line up like the pros do.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 12:59:40 AM »
I can see how newer paper could be challenging.  There's a distinctive smell to much older paper that once it's in your scent memory, its distinctiveness sticks with you. You know it when you smell it.  It gets trickier sometimes when posters are washed, restored, and linen backed. A trusty powerful flashlight can help backlight restored linen backed posters so you can see original folds etc.  Happy hunting, Okie