Author Topic: Academy Awards Nominations  (Read 5150 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Academy Awards Nominations
« on: March 15, 2021, 06:57:30 PM »
Every year, I like to collect as many posters as I can from Academy Awards best picture nominees.  This year has proven to be really difficult, since most of these movies had short theatrical runs before streaming.  At least I have one of each.  I actually wonder how many posters were printed compared to the normal output.

All OS DS and bus.  When I couldn't find the OS, I went to quads.  Still searching...

Two that I thought would make the cut but ended up with representation in the acting categories.

T
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:00:49 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Academy Awards Nominations
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 09:23:18 AM »
Loved One Night in Miami and Trial of the Chicago Seven.

Really want to see Promising Young Woman.

Good luck with the search T.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 11:18:44 AM »
Yes, this is actually a very good crop.  There is not a movie I didn't like.  Obviously, Nomadland will win it all, but the others are great.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 12:18:11 PM »
Checked out from the Oscars since 98 when they screwed Saving Private Ryan over for Shakespeare in Love. Such a scam.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 04:58:51 PM »
That Imax poster for Nomadland is really very nice. Haven't seen the movie yet, but there definitely seems to be a decent slate of nominees this year in the Best Picture category. Thought Judas... was very good.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 05:17:43 PM »
That Imax poster for Nomadland is really very nice.

Agreed - Is that a one sheet Thierry?

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 06:00:46 PM »
It's a bus shelter.  The only one I've encountered and my favorite poster of 2020.  It reminds me of early 80s posters like Used Cars.  So much stuff to look at.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 08:58:28 AM »
La Boca have released a limited edition print for Sound of Metal. I quite like the design and I'm looking forward to the film, but the Amazon logos seem a bit intrusive/large which put me off ordering it.

https://www.labocashop.co.uk/product/sound-of-metal

https://www.instagram.com/p/COLkZhgBjFk/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 10:00:14 AM »
Yes, it's not bad.  I got it.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 05:31:14 PM »
Yes, I'm one of those crazy people who enjoys collecting modern posters, something I know is being frowned upon on these esteemed parts.  But I like it.  Getting Academy Awards nominated posters has been difficult, especially streamers like Coda, Tick Tick Boom, Power of the Dog, Being the Ricardos...  I don't know how many posters they print, but not a lot.

Here are my winnings so far...

And on my website: https://www.moviepostersgallery.com/academy-awards/

T
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 09:19:03 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 04:14:33 AM »
Such dedication.  Fair play.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 08:56:31 PM »
Good luck hunting those modern rarities, T!  Have you figured out how many posters on some of those were actually released?  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2022, 10:18:56 PM »
Good luck hunting those modern rarities, T!  Have you figured out how many posters on some of those were actually released?  Okie

I think what I have there is pretty much it, design wise, except maybe for Drive My Car, which has a couple more designs which I will get later on.  Getting those posters is becoming as difficult as getting 1940s posters.  Being the Ricardos, Coda and Tick Tick Boom especially.  All one sheets DS.

It's fun!!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 04:33:23 AM »
For Parallel Mothers, there is another poster out there, designed by Javier Jaen, which proved so controversial it got temporarily banned by Instagram - it depicts a close-up of a lactating nipple.

I've seen original Spanish one-sheets go for several hundred dollars but you can get a large format (roughly one-sheet size) print of the poster from the artist's website for 100 Euros + shipping.

https://www.shopjavierjaen.com/product/madres-paralelas

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2022, 10:48:44 PM »
Yeah, I know, I've actually passed on this poster a couple of times because it's so gross.  Also, the artist doesn't seem to number his copies, which is a big no-no for me.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2023, 09:12:42 PM »
This year's noms through my posters.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2023, 07:45:19 PM »
I have been getting a lot of screeners for voting purpose, but this year is a little different.  The studios finally realized that DVDs are obsolete, who owns a DVD player these days, and they are now sending codes.  Smart!!! 

Like I said... FINALLY!!!   notworthy.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2023, 03:29:01 PM »
Lucky.  I haven't been keeping up with all the new movies.  It would be interesting to hear your predictions and thoughts on the nominees.

The fact that physical media is vanishing so fast makes me feel old.  The image quality and all are so much better with dvd,blu-ray etc., but I guess a lot of folks don't care as much about quality as they used to.

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2023, 05:40:25 PM »
Physically owning a copy of a movie is the only way to ensure you actually own the movie forever. The quality of a physical copy is so much better too. Streaming sucks for movies. Oh well.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2023, 08:52:10 PM »
I don’t know.  The image quality is totally fine on my streaming service.  I don’t need it better.  And owning a movie seems very old school to me.  I can see any movies I want at any time, even if I have to rent it.  I’m very happy with this streaming.  Less clutter.  I probably got 30 DVDs last year from studios and kept throwing them away as they came.  Such a waste.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2023, 09:08:09 PM »
In this case maybe streaming is better to avoid all the waste.  I've never been a big DVD collector, I mostly miss renting from Blockbuster and DVD.com.  :(

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2023, 02:22:54 AM »
It would be interesting to hear your predictions and thoughts on the nominees.

Btw, I don't have predictions but everybody knows that Oppenheimer, Barbie, Flower Moon, Poor Things and Holdovers will get nominations for best picture.  After that, Maestro, Anatomie d'Une Chute, American Fiction and Zone of Interest.  I still have to see May December, Past Lives and Color Purple.  The oscar will go to either Oppenheimer or Flower Moon.  I mean, it is not brain surgeon if you follow the awards schedule, Globes, AFI, NY and LA critics, etc...

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2023, 01:44:28 PM »
On the topic of physical media:
If you are fine with the selection streaming services offer and are willing to pay those monthly fees that seem to continue to increase each year, then yeah...physical media might not be for you. It's fine if you don't mind being limited to what they offer and like the convenience of just clicking/renting that way without having to deal with storage.

But for a lot of us, physical media is still very important. I think you all know that my favorite movies are 80s sex comedies...and sadly a lot of these have never made the jump to streaming....and if they are by chance streaming then the quality is often worse than VHS.
Sex comedies have been majorly neglected when it comes to releases on even DVD/Blu-Ray and the only way to watch them is to have that VHS. That aside, streaming as I mentioned before doesn't always offer what I want because you are left at the mercy of those distributors deciding when they want to have them up. Even when you "purcahse" something, it can be easily taken away from you. (I believe something like this is happening with Sony right now?)
If you own that tape/DVD/Blu-Ray then you always own it as long as that tape/disc continues to work and you have the player. It's very easy to pull it off your shelf and watch it again any time without worry of it being taken away.
Some of my VHS tapes even look a lot better than the streaming option.
So here's an example: I recently lost a lot of my digital music when my computer crashed and tried to get them back. Over the years I occasionally purchased some digital albums/songs on Amazon. I tried to get them back and even though Amazon still lists them as being part of my albums, they claim I no longer "own" them and want me to purchase them AGAIN. I'm not giving my money to Amazon again for stuff I already bought. I'm just going to get them off my CDs/records instead of paying for stuff I already bought before.

So yeah...with physical media I can at least have it with me instead of being at the mercy of whatever digital platform offers it.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2023, 04:17:22 PM »

....and if they are by chance streaming then the quality is often worse than VHS.

Yeah, many of those are unwatchable via streaming IMO.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 04:25:45 PM by Neo »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2023, 04:23:52 PM »

if you follow the awards schedule, Globes, AFI, NY and LA critics, etc...

Good point.  I used to watch a lot of new movies as soon as they were released, often on opening night, but I still avoid reading reviews and all before seeing them.  Maybe the lists of nominees for the different awards will inspire me to watch the movies now.