Author Topic: Academy Awards Nominations  (Read 5541 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Academy Awards Nominations
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2023, 01:18:28 AM »
I have been getting a lot of screeners for voting purpose, but this year is a little different.  The studios finally realized that DVDs are obsolete, who owns a DVD player these days, and they are now sending codes.  Smart!!! 

Thank you for this - we enjoyed Wonka tonight  ;)
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2023, 09:56:12 PM »
Thank you for this - we enjoyed Wonka tonight  ;)

How did y'all like it compared to the original?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 10:14:20 PM by Neo »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2023, 11:12:24 PM »
How did y'all like it compared to the original?

I liked it better, thought it was quite enjoyable
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2024, 08:10:52 PM »
I know the nominations are not until tomorrow, but I think these are as safe a bet as it gets.

Here are my posters so far by alphabetical order.  Still expecting a dozen more, especially Oppenheimers.  I will add them when I get them.

T
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 08:29:57 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2024, 03:41:11 PM »
Interesting to see some of the posters for the highly possible nominees.  Thanks for sharing.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2024, 03:45:41 PM »
No mistakes.  They are all nominated.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2024, 03:53:32 PM »
I see the articles now - 100% accuracy on predictions for best picture nominations. cool1 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2024, 05:20:23 PM »
Really simple.  Except for Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie, which I think were huge omissions, everything else was expected.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2024, 10:37:05 PM »
I haven't seen Barbie but it has some impressive numbers - highest grossing film in Warner Bros. ' 100-year history; the highest grossing film ever from a female filmmaker at the domestic box office; and is the largest worldwide film release of 2023. from PR Newswire

I was reading something earlier that basically said:
Greta Gerwig didn't get nominated for best director, Margot Robbie didn't get nominated for best actress.  Ryan Gosling got nominated for best actor.  This is literally the plot of Barbie. girly2.gif

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2024, 11:55:10 PM »
Really simple.  Except for Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie, which I think were huge omissions, everything else was expected.

T

Im curious, who in Best Actress and Director would you replace with Gerwig/Robbie?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2024, 12:22:04 AM »
Easy, and personal preference of course.  Jonathan Glazer in directing and Annette Bening in acting.

I think the main issue here, and I know a lot of people are pushing for it, is that if you have 10 movies, you should have 10 directors.

T
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 12:24:13 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2024, 12:53:36 AM »
Eh, I would kick out Lily Gladstone, even though she will probably win.

As for Glazer, The Zone of Interest is my favorite movie of the year, so hard disagree haha. So happy the Academy got it right with this one and gave it so many noms. Wish Huller would be up for supporting and kick out Ferrera (insane nomination imo), but count me as one of the baffled on Barbies success. It was enjoyable, an ok summer movie, but come on, Best Picture?!? Insanity.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2024, 01:15:49 AM »
I loved Barbie and truly believes it deserves a spot.  I think I've seen it 5 times now.  Lily Gladstone was exceptional and deserves all the accolades imo.  Zone of Interest was great and deserves to be there, but not its director.  So we'll agree to disagree I guess.

T
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 01:17:01 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2024, 08:32:20 PM »
I added a few posters to the list above.

At this point, it's all already written.  The only question mark left is best actor.  Cillian Murphy might have the edge, but Paul Giamatti has the heart.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2024, 09:37:01 PM »
What did y'all think of the winners?  Oppenheimer won so many, Poor Things came in second overall, Barbie got one - best song.  Personally I haven't been keeping up with new films as much since COVID and rarely going to theaters anymore, but most of the winners were deserved IMO.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2024, 09:57:23 AM »
I'm slow this year, I've only see Past Lives, Oppenheimer and Barbie. I really loved Past Lives and Oppenheimer. Barbie was fun. Hopefully I can find time to see the others in the next few weeks (Maestro probably the only one I'm not that keen to see, mainly as I don't love biopics and I'm not that familiar with Leonard Bernstein).

Good to see all those posters, T. I sometimes struggle keeping up with what has been printed and what is digital only, so it's good to have actual evidence of what exists!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2024, 06:57:51 PM »
What did y'all think of the winners?  Oppenheimer won so many, Poor Things came in second overall, Barbie got one - best song.  Personally I haven't been keeping up with new films as much since COVID and rarely going to theaters anymore, but most of the winners were deserved IMO.

I think everyone deserved it.  A little sad for Gladstone and what it would have meant for native Americans.  It was a great opportunity to move on from Sacheen Littlefeather.  But Stone was great and also deserved it.  I think everyone got his/her due.  It was a good year.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2024, 09:25:09 PM »

Good to see all those posters, T. I sometimes struggle keeping up with what has been printed and what is digital only, so it's good to have actual evidence of what exists!

Yep.  Very helpful and fun to see each year.

I think everyone deserved it.  A little sad for Gladstone and what it would have meant for native Americans.  It was a great opportunity to move on from Sacheen Littlefeather.  But Stone was great and also deserved it.  I think everyone got his/her due.  It was a good year.

T

Yeah it could have gone to either justifiably IMO.  The Native American aspect is interesting.  Such an underrepresented demographic in film.  When Smoke Signals was brand new in the late 90s I was in college and in a film course and we watched it, learned about the film, etc.  It was such a different film, to be so popular and critically acclaimed with Native American cast.  Things are still the same nowadays.  Hopefully Native American people will be more represented in film in the future.