Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
Hi!
« on: March 10, 2021, 07:49:14 PM »
Hey everyone!
I've been into collecting movie posters for a little over a year now. I think my interest in it first began when I started ordering movies from Shout Factory and they included posters. I loved their artwork and proudly displayed my "Ninja 3 The Domination" poster, my first one ever! Oh boy, did I not realize what I was getting myself into!

After getting a few more from Shout Factory, I decided to try my luck with original theatrical posters...my first of which was for "Where The Boys Are '84"! I was in love with the soundtrack for the film (and Russell Todd!) and knew I just had to have it after getting my hands on a sealed copy of the original vinyl soundtrack!

From there I started checking out a few of my other favorite 80s films. Unfortunately, I did end up buying one poster from bradburied and one from tloceposters...and this is when I learned how unforgiving this hobby could be. I'm almost sure both posters are fakes, and I started to do some research of spotting fakes/known bad sellers from that point on. I'm still not confident in my skills at spotting fakes so it worries me every time I pay for posters, especially the pricier ones.

After some time of focusing on theatrical posters, I found that my focus shifted to video store posters. I know that a lot of collectors don't see them as valuable, but I love them. It might be because I'm nostalgic for those old video stores though as I miss them. Someday I'd love to have a room designed in the style of a video store!
I'd say a good chunk of my collection now consists of video store posters, some of which are more valuable.

Despite how difficult it can be at times to determine whether or not a poster is an original, and how much I can end up spending on some posters, I've enjoyed gathering what I have.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 08:08:44 PM »
Hi Heather and welcome.

Being a newbie at anything can be a perilous experience, and collecting movie posters is no different.

My advice to you would be to stick to reputable sellers of original material until you feel you can distinguish originals from reprints.  It might take a little time but you will get there.

I would suggest someone like Dale Dilts on Ebay (https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ipg=50&_ssn=ddilts399&_sop=10 or auctioneers like Emovieposter.com and HA.com.  The last 2 have weekly or semi weekly sales.

Sorry you had to go thru the likes of Bradburied or Tom Loce.  Their stuff and prices look enticing at first but yeah, a lot of it is fake so stay clear.

We're all here to help but I would suggest private messaging should you need help with authenticating a poster.  Advertising your wants on a public forum would not be wise.

Good luck,

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 09:46:21 PM »
Thank you!
Luckily I didn't spend ridiculous amounts on the two posters I bought from them, and I'll eventually track down additional copies from reliable sellers.

Since then I've found at least two sellers that are more reliable and have given me the real thing, and I'm definitely purchasing more from them in the future as they have a good selection available.

Thanks for the recommendation! They seem to be more focused on modern posters though and I'm mainly interested in stuff from the 80s - but there are a few more modern posters I might have interest in so I'll check with them first!

Places like this have definitely been helpful so I'll be sure to check in for help on authenticating anything I might be after in the future.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 09:54:56 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation! They seem to be more focused on modern posters though and I'm mainly interested in stuff from the 80s - but there are a few more modern posters I might have interest in so I'll check with them first!

If you like the 80s, my favorite decade, you should check my collection.  It might stir your memory.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 10:36:05 PM »
If you like the 80s, my favorite decade, you should check my collection.  It might stir your memory.

T
I took a peek at it earlier! Very impressive and definitely a few titles in there I'll have to check out!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 04:58:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Heather! (Is your username related to Silent Hill?)

I think buying some dodgy posters from bradburied and/or tloceposters is a rite of passage for most collectors! I got stung by tloce in my early days too (although he did refund me at least).

I'm also fond of video posters and have a few in my collection for films I like. I worked in my town's video shop for a few years when I was in (high) school. It was a small shop where I was the only employee, I'd sit behind the counter and watch films all evening as it was usually very quiet (unless it was Friday - Sunday)...so I have really fond memories of films from that time period (early/mid 90s), as well as the poster images. I'd take my favourite posters home and stick them to my wall. I had a nice nostalgia trip a few years ago when my parents moved house and I went through them whilst clearing our my old bedroom - unfortunately all were either ruined by sun bleaching or blue tac marks/torn corners, but it was fun to see them again.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! I like the sound of your collection so look forward to seeing some images if you decide to share!

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 01:49:49 PM »
Thanks!
Yes, I did get my name from Silent Hill!
It's been my go-to username for years now so I've kind of just stayed with it!

I bought Tomboy (1985) from bradburied and Reform School Girls (1986) from tloce.
As soon as I saw the strange silver markings on the Tomboy poster I knew it couldn't have been an original. Other than that though, both were pretty good fakes to an untrained eye like mine.
I kind wish I asked for a refund, but both were very friendly when I asked questions and I'm not the confrontational type and don't like dealing with returns! Now I know to avoid stock pictures and other warning signs!

My aunt worked at a video store when I was a kid, and I would frequent the local stores up until my early teens. They started to disappear by the time I started high school so I missed my chance to work at one, unfortunately! Never got a chance to work at a theater either, but I did apply to one at some point.
It's a shame about your old posters - but at least you did get to see them again!

A lot of my posters are currently stored away while I get proper frames for them, but I do swap them out from time to time! I'll be sure to post pictures of more when I get the chance!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 04:15:12 PM »
Home Video posters can be great, especially when they use different designs than the theatrical ones.  Nothing wrong with collecting them, especially since they don't exist anymore.

T
My Personal Collection

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 05:18:17 PM »
Home Video posters can be great, especially when they use different designs than the theatrical ones.  Nothing wrong with collecting them, especially since they don't exist anymore.

T
It's definitely a nice bonus when they have new artwork!
Off the top of my head the only ones I have with alternate artwork/variants are the releases for Prime Risk (US/UK), The First Turn-On, The Manhattan Project, and Poltergeist III. A lot of the others just have the same poster with a "now on video" added on. I have quite a few put away right now but there might be more.
I also believe my video poster for Slumber Party Massacre II has a different photo than the theatrical release from the only image I've found online, but I can't confirm!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 09:04:49 PM »
I took a peek at it earlier! Very impressive and definitely a few titles in there I'll have to check out!

Check the 80s sub-galleries if you have time to kill.  For instance, 1984 has 586 posters listed.  I add new stuff on a daily basis.

T
My Personal Collection

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 12:38:08 PM »
Check the 80s sub-galleries if you have time to kill.  For instance, 1984 has 586 posters listed.  I add new stuff on a daily basis.

T
Will do! There are sill many 80s movies I have yet to watch, and the posters always give me a good idea of whether or not I'll have interest.
Like just recently when I saw the poster for The First Turn-On for sale I knew I just had to watch the movie...and even purchased the poster before doing so!

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 02:04:46 PM »
Welcome, Heather

Your poster display looks a little different than what I usually see here, you are missing some posters with decapitated heads or humans turning to insects, that type of thing  :)

Your plan for a video store theme will be interesting, I was in Fort Bragg CA a couple of years ago and they still had an authentic video rental store - Figueiredo's. I think it might still be there, not sure with COVID, but I am planning to go there this summer so if it is there I will take pictures and post them.

Next week, somewhat ironically, Netflix will be streaming a documentary about the last Blockbuster store in Oregon.
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-blockbuster-documentary-on-netflix/

I liked the Video\DVD stores as quite often you could get in a conversation with the employees or other customers about various movies\actors etc.

Regards

Ian

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 06:36:25 PM »
Welcome Heather! Golly, it has been a while since I looked at this page...and you and several other newbies have arrived. How nice to have fresh blood on the forum.

I agree with Thierry 100% when he said "I would suggest someone like Dale Dilts on Ebay (https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ipg=50&_ssn=ddilts399&_sop=10 or auctioneers like Emovieposter.com and HA.com.  The last 2 have weekly or semi weekly sales." Emovie and HA know their stuff ---and don't sell fakes. Emovie is my favorite of the two and a lot more reasonable. (HA has been tacking on fees that can cause the final price to be quite a bit higher than you'd expect, but I still shop both.) Dale is a marvelous seller. I just bought from him again earlier this week. Ha!

I saw your post about your SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE collection/wall. Very nice. I do understand buying video posters. I do like them if, as T said, they have different art than the theatrical one sheet. (I prefer the video poster over the US one sheet for SANTA SANGRE, for example.) They are also great if you love a flick and it went straight to video or the one sheet is impossible to find. Video posters have their place. There's no shame in them. I just wish I had realized that years ago. I  stupidly turned my nose up at so many of them back in the day. I could kick myself now. (The same thing can be said with foreign posters. UGH! They used to be soooo CHEAP...but I let them go a lot of times because even though they were stunning, they were not in English and/or one sheet sized. So DUMB on my part...)

Anyway, welcome!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 08:40:49 PM »
I saw your post about your SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE collection/wall. Very nice. I do understand buying video posters. I do like them if, as T said, they have different art than the theatrical one sheet. (I prefer the video poster over the US one sheet for SANTA SANGRE, for example.) They are also great if you love a flick and it went straight to video or the one sheet is impossible to find. Video posters have their place. There's no shame in them. I just wish I had realized that years ago. I  stupidly turned my nose up at so many of them back in the day. I could kick myself now. (The same thing can be said with foreign posters. UGH! They used to be soooo CHEAP...but I let them go a lot of times because even though they were stunning, they were not in English and/or one sheet sized. So DUMB on my part...)

Anyway, welcome!

Thank you!
I've been in the same situation, but not with movie posters! There have been several collectibles I've wanted for my favorite games that used to go for reasonable prices, but now are going for ridiculous amounts...but I doubt anyone actually buys them because I still see them listed from the same seller.
The opposite is true as well though, stuff that was once more on the expensive side has lowered giving me an opportunity to actually purchase those things. :)
Sometimes it's just down to luck I guess!

Your plan for a video store theme will be interesting, I was in Fort Bragg CA a couple of years ago and they still had an authentic video rental store - Figueiredo's. I think it might still be there, not sure with COVID, but I am planning to go there this summer so if it is there I will take pictures and post them.

Next week, somewhat ironically, Netflix will be streaming a documentary about the last Blockbuster store in Oregon.
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-blockbuster-documentary-on-netflix/

I liked the Video\DVD stores as quite often you could get in a conversation with the employees or other customers about various movies\actors etc.
I've seen some great set-ups on YouTube that inspired me, so hopefully someday I have the money and resources to do so! It would be like a dream come true and so much fun browsing and picking out a movie like the good old days!
I'll definitely have to check out that documentary - thanks!