Author Topic: Greetings from Ian  (Read 3300 times)

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
Greetings from Ian
« on: January 26, 2021, 06:29:29 PM »
Ian here, I have started commenting and posting some of my collection already and enjoy reading others' advice and interests on this hobby/passion/profession.

I actually lived in Ealing (UK) in the late eighties and began collecting movie (film) posters at that time. I had a goal of building up a significant collection of the Ealing classics, but even back then they were hard to come buy and relatively expensive (although nothing like today). Anyway, I knew of dealers, there were poster fairs in London back then, that had some and they would trade so I placed an ad in the ‘Exchange and Mart’ (An old UK nationwide classified ads newspaper), something like ‘private collector buys any and all pre-1970 film posters for cash’. Back then the market was a little ‘grey’ and I would find myself going around the country on the weekend with empty boxes and filling them with hundreds of posters (all quads), nothing that valuable but enough to trade for the ones I really wanted.

At some point I had around 3,000 quads, mainly from the 60’s and 70’s and about a dozen Ealing posters.

When I came to the US, mid 90’s I sold most of the collection to a dealer as I was ‘starting a family’ and the cash came in handy, also they were stored at my parents house in the UK and they told me to ‘get rid of them’.

Fast forward 20 years, kids have grown up, and I started getting the ‘bug’ again for movie posters.

I am mainly thinking about ‘poster preservation’ these days and I have turned my attention to the sad blight of the fragile acidic Mexican posters from the 40-60’s, so I have started acquiring them and I will be reading, with interest, posts on preservation and archiving.

Yes I am now on a mission, so any non-Ealing (or non-Mexican) poster you see me post will be for sale at a competitive price (all for a good cause).

Regards

Ian
Regards

Ian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Greetings from Ian
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 06:53:05 PM »
Hi Ian, and welcome.

I have a question for you.  It might sound stupid, but I am French, I moved to the US 20 years ago (and never looked back!) and I've been collecting since I moved here, so 20 years.  I have never heard of Ealing posters.  Can you elaborate for the stupids of the world?

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 08:12:24 PM »
Thierry, Ealing was a studio based in the UK, responsible for producing some of the best British films of the mid-20th century.  I'm surprised you have never heard of them, but surely you have heard of some of their movies, and probably even seen one or two.  Among the most famous are The Man in the White Suit (1951), Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949), The Ladykillers (1955), and The Lavender Hill Mob (1951).  Alec Guinness was a familiar face in a lot of those films.  The UK quads for some of those titles are quite rare and as a result, quite collectible.

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 08:17:36 PM »
Thierry,

Antoine beat me to it, I would just add:-

Coming from the UK I wanted to collect posters of UK (not US) origin and living in Ealing I specialized in that studio, I also liked their poster art work - check out 'Dead of Night', the one with the Griffen like creature on it, that is my dream poster to own (I don't have it yet) but one day it will be above my mantle piece!!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:19:45 PM by ealingmovieposters »
Regards

Ian

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 08:35:38 PM »
Ian, Dead of Night is indeed a great poster for an absolute classic.  Good luck finding it!  I've been looking for that quad myself for years too.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 08:43:38 PM »
Don't be surprised, Antoine.  I don't know anything.  They say ignorance is bliss :)  Thanks for the info.  My 25 year old nanny told me today that she has never seen a black and white movie, so at least I know more than her.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 08:58:01 PM »
Thierry, I'm sure you've heard of The Ladykillers, it was remade in 2004 by the Coen brothers under the same title, starring Tom Hanks.  In any case, you should check out the titles I mentioned, those movies are true classics and a lot of fun.  Dead of Night is the granddaddy of all horror anthologies, and still one of the best.

I can't with people who claim not to watch any black & white movies, lol! 

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 07:04:59 PM »
Ian. Welcome! I am rather embarrassed I had not noticed your post here earlier. (I really thought I checked this page far more frequently. Oops!) I'm really glad Thierry asked about ealing posters and Antoine answered, as I am just as clueless about them as Thierry was. It's great to have you join the site. CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!