Author Topic: 60 Members in 2 Days!  (Read 36394 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: 60 Members in 2 Days!
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2009, 10:02:16 PM »
The head honchos have weighed in so I'll keep it brief.  The principle is simple: While online, people should adhere to the same standards of behavior that they follow in real life.  

As far as my tagline, that's a jokey quote from Westley aka Dread Pirate Roberts in Princess Bride, a PG movie (and IMHO a Top 10 comedy).  I put a link next to that quote to clear up any confusion.

P.S. I'm looking for the quad from that movie (for a not unreasonable price of course):

I do agree with this.  I have never said anything in any online forum, whether it be this one, MPF, NS4 or Mopo, that I would not have said in real life.  When I'm writing, I always write as if real people are standing before me overlooking what I'm writing, including the people involved in the writing if that's appropriate.  It's not something that I mutter to myself -- "real people are here...real people are here"  it's just the way I think. 

I've said before and I'll say it again -- I'm a true believer in the concept of the "marketplace of ideas."  Censorship is not the right path.  Dialog is.  Nothing that has been said here is wrong or, for that matter, right.  They are statements of what each of us believes.  I may not use the "c" word, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to tell someone else they cannot.  But, like some others have said, there is an art to making a point firmly without using expletives.  Calling someone a dumb c@#t is blunt force when a razor may be something like saying the person who uses the phrase "dumb c@#t" is, in fact, intellectually vapid.

Overall, this kind of banter is EXACTLY what online communities are all about.  I don't ever want to be part of a community that forbids speech in any regard, except that, as Thierry said, and to expand on it, racial, ethnic, gender slurs and other hateful language will not be countenanced, regardless of whether that language relates to posters or not.

Anyone who does not get this is not only intellectually vapid, but is a dumb c@#t.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2009, 08:31:18 AM »
Can I start a new fight to celebrate reaching 75 members?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »
I have that quad, but it aint for sale.  It took me too damn long to track it down in the first place.  :P :P
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2010, 03:27:16 AM »
Came across some stats for movieposterforum.com
Don't know how accurate they are.
http://siteanalytics.compete.com/movieposterforum.com/?metric=uv
It indicates about 1717 unique visitors for Jan 2010, though how many of those are actual members rather than non members, cant determine from this. I'd guess a third, so I would say they would have about 600 active members, where active means members visiting the site each month, not necessarily posting.

I could be completely wrong too...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2010, 07:43:52 PM »
Also, those unique visitors include spambots, webcrawlers and other various and sundry non-human apparitions.  Don't expect that we'll ever know the real numbers, but then again, I'm with Ari - I don't care.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.