Author Topic: Bummer (or Praise the Lord?)  (Read 3693 times)

Bruce

Bummer (or Praise the Lord?)
« on: November 11, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Bummer (or Praise the Lord?)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 01:24:31 PM »
Thanks for posting that Bruce I didn't know Dino De Laurentiis had died. I still say his King Kong was better than Jackson's poor attempt.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 02:30:13 PM »
I still say his King Kong was better than Jackson's poor attempt.

Now ya did it....ya really pissed me off, Waines.
                                                          We all know the greatest Kong was Toho's.....  puke2

Time for you to re-watch Jackson's 2005 remake...   pcorn

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
Now ya did it....ya really pissed me off, Waines.
                                                          We all know the greatest Kong was Toho's.....  puke2

Time for you to re-watch Jackson's 2005 remake...   pcorn

Now I cannot argue with that, I love the Toho Kong, but Jackson's remake. puke2

I will watch it again, but I'm not promising to like it any less................Jack Black as Denham, Come on. nono 

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
Jack Black was a poor casting choice.  That being said, I really liked his version.  It may have run too long for many people, but I was used to it from watching the extended cuts of the LOTR trilogy.  On top of that, I think he shoots amazing action sequences.  The battle with the dinosaurs and on top of the ESB are things beauty.  The man knows how to keep a viewer on the edge of their seat or invoke a host of emotions with the angles he chooses

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 04:39:30 PM »
Best damn ape since '33...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 08:13:09 AM »
I will watch it again, but I'm not promising to like it any less................Jack Black as Denham, Come on. nono 

Oh, come on....Jack Black is a talented man....

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »
Jack Black is a lot of things, but Talented.................................... ............................er.............. .............................no.

That's an Excellent still of Kong, shame the movie wasn't that good. I do have a problem that I'm a huge fan of the 33 film, as I thought Jackson was. It's fine to put your own stamp on things, and even to up date, but Jackson fails. The driving force in the 33 Kong is Carl Denham. This character pushes the story along, if it wasn't for him there would be no film. What is Denham doing in Jackson's.........mmmm oh yes, nothing. He's part of the Scenery, I don't mean to bad mouth the tree's here as they did a fine job.
    Yes a couple of scenes are good, but this does not make a good film. weak story, weak characters, poor actors, and in some place's very shoddy CGI effects. If I had the choice I would watch King Kong Escapes over Jackson's every time.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 02:28:24 PM »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion Paul, and I respect yours.
Jack Black was miscast, but the overall film rises far above his inclusion.
I thought the CGI effects were brilliant and Jackson did a fine job of developing the relationship between Kong and Anne Darrow.
I too -- like many of us -- have been heavily influenced by the '33 classic and I have winced many times over the years whenever I heard of some studio-or-another's plans to remake the original.
But, Toho's Kong better than Jackson's...what are you smoking?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 02:53:01 PM »
If I get time over the weekend I will watch this again, I have only seen it the once. It was not the remake I personally was looking forward to, which may have had some bearing on what I thought, plus J.B.s involvement.

I love all the Giant Ape films, along with the Godzilla stuff, they are a jolly wheez, but in a different way, if you know what I mean. Jackson's was a better looking Kong, he just didn't have the back up.

So Jim's out of the 3 stooges film ;)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:23:45 AM »
Watched Jackson's Kong again last night after the new Elm st film. I did enjoy it a bit more, though my opinion's are still the same. the worst of the CGI is the stampede though the canyon, and the Penisaurus bit in the Spider pit, most of the darker sequences they seemed to have trouble matching the light levels. Though I must say Naomi Watts give a first rate performance, as did Kong.

Bruce

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 10:39:25 AM »
Paul

I agree! I had heard so much about the incredible CGI, and that's why the stampede though the canyon was a massive disappointment to me. It looked like guys running in front of a blue screen showing dinosaurs, with next-to-no integration of the two.

There WERE other parts of the movie I found admirable, but I too thought Jack Black very miscast (and I really like him!).

I think when you make a re-make of a classic you need to be very respectful of your source material, and try to have it work as a movie, while avoiding the risk of seeming to parodying the original, and with King Kong this was a pretty thankless task, which is why the re-makes thus far have fallen far short of the original.

Bruce

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
Well said Bruce, don't get me wrong there are some parts in the film that run great, and the little tributes scattered here and there, all make it enjoyable ( in places ), but with the hype it got and following on the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which I loved. I thought this would be Fantastic, also knowing Jackson was a big fan of the 33 film. But 5 years later and I do still feel the same about it. All that Money, what a missed opportunity.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 11:27:37 AM »
Too bad for you guys. I loved every minute of it.

sm1