Author Topic: Digital camera recommendations?  (Read 10566 times)

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
Digital camera recommendations?
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:10:19 PM »
I've just bought (and returned) a Panasonic Lumix FS30 camera because it took worse pictures when photographing posters than my very old and simple Sony DSC-P100. I wondered what you guys were using for best results? I don't want a digital SLR or to spend a fortune, just a digital compact camera that's a good all rounder.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: Digital camera recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 04:37:37 PM »
I have a Canon SD1100IS and have been very happy with it.  Its very compact, and seems to work well for most kinds of photos, and the batteries last.  It replaced an Olympus that went through batteries faster than a lonely nympho on Valentines Day.  Other than those, and a very old skool Kodak, I have limited experience with digital cameras.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:40:06 PM »
I use a Canon G-10 and it's fantastic
Canon doesn't sell it anymore as it was 15megapixels and was cutting into their high-end business

it was $500-600 and you can find them on fleaBay in that range.

alternately get the Canon G-11 or G-12 (each 10 megapixels), unless you want to spend $900 and get a Canon SLR with 15-18megapixels

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »
I still use my now-old Canon Rebel xti - 10 megapixels, which was a lot at the time.  Now, I bet this one could be bought for a few hundred here and there.  Awesome camera with all the megapixels needed unless you plan on printing huge poster sized images.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 09:37:07 AM »
I'm with Rich on this one.  The Canon G10 produces beautiful images and was my main camera before I purchased a Nikon D700.  It's new version, G12, has HD video and is great in low light situations.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 09:48:11 AM »
I use a Canon SLR as well, remote shutter release and eye-fi card saves me a crap load of time when shooting a bunch of posters.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 11:15:17 AM »
We have a Canon 5D and we love it.  My wife has actually been selling some of her pictures.  Here's one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »
Couldn't agree more that's an excellent photo. Do you have any others you can post?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
Brilliant photo T, was there any post production on that?

on the Subject of camera's i purchased a Panasonic Lumix G2 Micro 4/3rds camera and am totally happy with it. Great HD movie capability with it too!

PS tried to upload a stupid pic but it told me the upload folder was full?

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 04:00:35 PM »
Thanks for all the advice so far. Great pic T, we use 5Ds at work, but I can't afford one for home use. I am going to have to up my budget though I think.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »

on the Subject of camera's i purchased a Panasonic Lumix G2 Micro 4/3rds camera and am totally happy with it. Great HD movie capability with it too!

If you want something compact, cheap and that has interchangable lenses... you would be hard pressed to find a better deal than the Olympus E-P1 refurb for $370.  It is in the same family as the G2 mentioned above (micro43 lenses) but this on is the first model. The focus speed on the newest m43 cameras has improved considerably, but this on will still be faster than a point and shoot. The only hang up on this one is no flash... But I prefer that for regular shooting anyway (especially if you get the EXCELLENT Panny 20mm 1.7 compact prime which does great in low light). Also due to the lack of mirror and therefore short register distance, there are also cheap adaptors available for nearly every past camera system. If you are comfortable shooting manual focus you can pick up some incredible old glass for a pittance on eBay.

I would think manual focus and no flash would be no problem for shooting static posters anyway as you'll want side lighting to avoid reflections. And you'll end up with a very fun and competent street shooter as well. If you like a dslr form factor and want a viewfinder/flash... check eBay for the old Panny G1 as well. I'm sure it can be had cheap.

Hope this helps!  I got an Oly EP2 and love it.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »

I love that photo too, and I know for a fact that there is NO post production on it. That's exactly what Julie shot in the wee hours on a Paris street.  That is why the photo is so wonderful.  I'm fortunate to have a signed copy in my happy possession :-)
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »

Gotta use offsite photo storage now -- I use photobucket -- then drop the  link into the post here.  Costs too damned much to increase storage for the forum.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments.  I will forward them to the power that be.  Yes, there are other pictures, a lot of them actually, but I can't display them without authorization, and since she doesn't even know I posted this one, I'd be in a lot of trouble.

Hey Ho-boy, I didn't know you were into signed shit.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments.  I will forward them to the power that be.  Yes, there are other pictures, a lot of them actually, but I can't display them without authorization, and since she doesn't even know I posted this one, I'd be in a lot of trouble.

Hey Ho-boy, I didn't know you were into signed shit.

T

Only if the signed shit comes from your wife!

;)
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 04:12:38 AM »
I use a Canon 7D with different lenses. I chose the 7D over the 5D for its enhanced video capabilites. If you want to take good shots of your posters, even in not so good lighting conditions you will need a good camera, the right lens, some decent lights (don't have to be very expensive) and a tripod. Canon recently introduced the 60D, which is not as expensive as the 5D or the 7D and got good reviews. Maybe you want to check that one out.

Here are a few shots I took with the 7D and varying lenses. I did some additional colour correction in Photoshop, but no retouching.

Armin

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 04:37:10 AM »
Armin, I've been looking into the 60D & 7D
one question:
does your camera attach to your computer via usb cable for remote operation via the Canon camera utility?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 04:57:42 AM »
Rich,

I have not tried to control the 7D via the computer but maybe you want to check the manual for more details (http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300002580/02/eos7d-im2-en.pdf). When I take photos of posters I set up the camera on a tripod and use a handheld wireless remote (ca. $25) to activate the camera, so I just need to change the posters and don't have to stand up all the time.

Armin

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:20:36 AM by Posteroid »

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 09:55:08 AM »
Check out my Flikr photostream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/louiedespres/show/

95% of these were shot with the Canon G10.  A bit of color correction, but I don't have photoshop.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »
Armin, I've been looking into the 60D & 7D
one question:
does your camera attach to your computer via usb cable for remote operation via the Canon camera utility?

I tried the computer control through the software using my rebel xti, and while it was fun for a bit, it ultimately was a pain in the ass.  Armin's right - I also use the wireless remote and it's much quicker, plus it avoids any movement of the camera when shooting. Then I just attach the camera after, import the pics and we're good to go.  It's just as easy to pull the memory card and plug that into the computer if you have the capability to do so.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »
If you want something compact, cheap and that has interchangable lenses... you would be hard pressed to find a better deal than the Olympus E-P1 refurb for $370.  It is in the same family as the G2 mentioned above (micro43 lenses) but this on is the first model. The focus speed on the newest m43 cameras has improved considerably, but this on will still be faster than a point and shoot. The only hang up on this one is no flash... But I prefer that for regular shooting anyway (especially if you get the EXCELLENT Panny 20mm 1.7 compact prime which does great in low light). Also due to the lack of mirror and therefore short register distance, there are also cheap adaptors available for nearly every past camera system. If you are comfortable shooting manual focus you can pick up some incredible old glass for a pittance on eBay.

I would think manual focus and no flash would be no problem for shooting static posters anyway as you'll want side lighting to avoid reflections. And you'll end up with a very fun and competent street shooter as well. If you like a dslr form factor and want a viewfinder/flash... check eBay for the old Panny G1 as well. I'm sure it can be had cheap.

Hope this helps!  I got an Oly EP2 and love it.

Not to keep chatting up these new "mirror-less" cameras, but all of the following shots were taken with my Oly EP2, which is more or less the same as the EP1 I mentioned above -- minus the option of a clip on electronic viewfinder.  If you don't mind composing on an LCD screen... it is a heck of a value for $370.

I'm still new to photography... I only picked it up after quitting the forum in March to focus on finishing my PhD.  I quickly realized that I needed a creative outlet so I wouldn't go insane!  These shots are mainly to show the capability of the camera... not my (hopefully improving) ability as a photog.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 01:56:25 PM »
Wow, theres some really cool shots in this thread. They're really giving me some inspiration, just need to pic a camera!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 02:21:22 PM »
As stated, time saver here - http://www.eye.fi/

No longer have to take the camera off the tripod.