Author Topic: Propstore just got a major upgrade  (Read 1430 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Propstore just got a major upgrade
« on: September 26, 2022, 05:03:26 PM »
Don't know if others get emails from them, but this was a welcome sight today:

Propstore Welcomes Grey Smith as Director of US Poster Auctions

Industry-leading Expert, Formerly with Heritage Auctions, Brings 40+ Years Experience Into Propstore to Build the Best in Poster Offerings!

Propstore, one of the world’s leading film and TV memorabilia companies, announced today that Grey Smith, a noted industry expert and lifelong collector, is joining the company to lead their United States poster auction offerings. Smith was previously the founding consignment director for the rare poster division at Heritage Auctions. 

"We are thrilled to have Grey join the Propstore team, given his extensive industry experience and track record of curating some of the most successful poster auctions in the world,” Propstore CEO Stephen Lane said. “Grey brings with him over 20 years of experience producing auctions, including more than 65 sales that included some of the most valuable posters ever sold. Grey has a reputation for consignor satisfaction, and we know he will drive Propstore’s Los Angeles-based poster auction program to new heights. We look forward to expanding on our offerings in this exciting collectibles category and growing into one of the premier destinations for poster collectors and dealers."

Grey began collecting movie posters as a child and the thrill of finding the rarest examples has never left him. Throughout his youth, he was regularly buying, trading, and selling some of the best pieces in cinema history. When Smith completed college, he entered the film industry and worked in production for twenty years while continually searching for poster rarities during his travels.
In 2001, wishing to have less time on the road away from his family, Smith pivoted his hobby into a career when he took a position at Heritage Auctions to produce and develop their poster auction program. He subsequently left Heritage in 2022.

“Grey’s knowledge of film and posters is encyclopedic, and his enthusiasm for the field is incredible,” stated Brandon Alinger, Propstore COO.

Grey Smith states: “I couldn’t be more excited than to join a team of great professionals, who have a fierce passion for the auction industry as well as a wonderful reputation for their knowledge and ethical handling of the best in motion picture props,” Smith says. “I look forward to contributing at Propstore with my intimate knowledge of auctions, posters, and movie history. We are planning our first major U.S. poster auction for early 2023.”

Propstore is accepting consignments for future poster auctions now. Contact Grey Smith, Director of US Poster Auctions, at grey@propstore.com.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Propstore just got a major upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 05:08:15 PM »
I have never bid at Propstore (can't afford their stuff unfortunately) but I noticed this from Grey: "as well as a wonderful reputation for their knowledge and ethical handling of the best in motion picture props".  Is that a criticism of Heritage?

T
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 07:54:41 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 05:24:39 PM »
Congratulations on the new role, Grey! Your wealth of knowledge will surely be a huge asset for Propstore.

It'll be interesting to see how the US v UK split at Propstore works - I quite liked having a polished auction house in the UK who are capable of marketing a poster auction well for consignees, I hope that continues.

Also, Grey emailed the forum inbox earlier to request a new user account here, so I'm sure he'll be back posting with some information in due time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 05:29:03 PM by Tob »

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
    • Director of US Poster Auctions
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 06:14:27 PM »
Eatbrie, that is not any kind of criticism of Heritage as I haven't anything negative to say about the company I proudly worked with for many years.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 07:57:34 PM »
I stand corrected then and good luck at Propstore.  I’ll watch from a distance.

T
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 08:34:08 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)