Author Topic: Source for acid-free paper?  (Read 7433 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Source for acid-free paper?
« on: November 05, 2010, 04:29:35 PM »
I think I finally need to get my flat file cabinet put to use -- I have posters everywhere!  Anyway, for those of you that store flat, what kind of acid-free or buffered paper do you use to interleave between posters?  Do you use sheets or a roll of paper and a cutter?  If so, what size roll?  I'm looking for something cheap-ish and convenient. 

Thanks in advance!

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
Re: Source for acid-free paper?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:31:46 PM »
I buy acid-free tissue paper from an art store near where I live. It's what I have between each of my Alamo prints to protect the inks and I also use it for particularly glossy posters or ones that have slight damage/marks on the back to protect the poster below.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
Here's a basic question:  Isn't acid tanning caused internally rather than externally?  I understand that movie posters are printed on acidic paper which causes acid tanning over time.  Does putting two acid movie posters together accelerate the tanning?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 03:56:28 AM »
I store quite a lot of my posters in plan chests, and don't put anything between the posters. Any damaged ones, or with old tape stains I store else where. I think these posters have lasted 50 years of abuse until I got them, I'm sure they will out last me.

The worst is cardboard, and poster tubes they are full of poster munching Acids, yet I have bought posters that were stored in these and they seen fine.

The main advantage is your not damaging the folds with the continuos folding/un-folding. They are stored flat, and as Thierry said over time they flatten out nicely.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 04:04:27 AM »
Here's a basic question:  Isn't acid tanning caused internally rather than externally?  I understand that movie posters are printed on acidic paper which causes acid tanning over time.  Does putting two acid movie posters together accelerate the tanning?

No, you would need to introduce a stronger acid source, or catalyst to accelerate any degeneration. It's like mixing vinegar with more vinegar, it's no stronger. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 11:34:10 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts.  As for the questionable benefits of acid-free paper, that is why I also included the option of buffered paper.... the difference is as follows:

Neutral enclosures (MY NOTE: i.e. typical acid-free), constructed of paper in the neutral pH range (6.5–7.5), do not contain acids that will damage photos stored in them, but have a limited capacity to neutralize acids from the environment or from paper deterioration. Buffered paper enclosures (pH 7.5–9.5) contain an alkaline material (such as calcium carbonate) that neutralizes acids as they form.

So while it may not necessarily accelerate deterioration to store one acidic poster against another acidic poster, there seems to be a definite benefit to having a piece of alkaline-buffered paper between the two.

There is also another benefit to having a piece of paper interleaved between posters, whether acid-free or buffered, that has not been discussed... and that is to minimize the transfer of compression lines from folds.  I have some posters that were stored flat for very long periods of time with other folded posters.  However, they must not have been lined up exactly as the slightly raised area of the fold lines pressed into neighboring posters leaving faint, but visible fold marks separate from the actual folds.  For folded posters against folded posters this transfer is probably negligible unless it was done for a very long time (several decades).  However, if you have folded posters against rolled posters (or say tri-folds) I think it would show up much sooner.  There could even be problems with rolled against rolled if one of the posters hand creases or crinkles you were trying to flatten -- which is the whole reason we want to store flat in the first place, to press out these imperfections.  In this case, either acid-free or buffered paper would be a benefit.

And make no mistake, I'm planning to store these posters flat for a very long time!

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 12:50:45 PM »
"I store quite a lot of my posters in plan chests, and don't put anything between the posters. Any damaged ones, or with old tape stains I store else where. I think these posters have lasted 50 years of abuse until I got them, I'm sure they will out last me.

The worst is cardboard, and poster tubes they are full of poster munching Acids, yet I have bought posters that were stored in these and they seen fine."

I think Paul is dead on with these comments. I have said for years (which earns me the anger of bag and mylar manufacturers everywhere!) that the climate and conditions where you store the items is far more important that what you store the items in. The very best condition paper collectibles finds were made in Canada and Colorado, and yet all those items were stored completely unprotected for decades. But both were in natural cold environments. By contrast, posters found in Central America and the Middle East are almost always in dreadful condition. Coincidence? I think not!

I think you can store your items unprotected (and save a fortune!), as long as where you store them is controlled as to temperature and humidity (and you don't want zero humidity). You also want no or little light on them. Most important of all, there must be protection from insects and vermin (such as mice).

Get this set-up going, and you will find that your collection shows next-to no sign of age (and as Paul says, even items stored poorly, like in tubes or in bags and boards, don't seem to age under these conditions).

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »
So back to my original question... If I were to use interleaved sheets between posters, does anyone know of a good source?  I would prefer an online source if possible. Thanks again.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »
I tend to agree with the comments already put forth, that if stored under the right conditions, you have little to worry about regarding your posters deteriorating. 

However, if you want to go down this path, I have not done this personally, but have researched it a little. 

You can go with paper that has a neutral ph or buffered paper which has a slightly higher ph.  Unless you see yellowing in the paper already, and you are storing the items under the right conditions, you should be fine with paper that is neutral.  Paper can be purchased in rolls or pre-cut sheets.  In general, it's not cheap.  Prices for pre-cut 30" by 40" sheets approach $1 per sheet depending on the paper. 

Here are several sources to consider. 

http://talasonline.com/

http://www.universityproducts.com/

Good luck!
John

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 12:57:08 PM »
Or here.  They ship from the US and UK