Author Topic: June 2020  (Read 14485 times)

Offline redman

• Collector
Re: June 2020
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 05:39:01 PM »
i have a few Bessie Love lobby cards and photos but never imagined i'd ever get a twenties one sheet of hers
the seller said it was owned by harrison ford himself (not that one starwarsfans ;D) which is kind of cool
it was framed and had had its white border trimmed off but i won't be getting it a new border (or linen backed!)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 08:39:24 PM »
Wow, Redman, that Rubber Tires sure is a rare treasure! A big congratulations are in order!  Bessie Love was such an important early actress.  It's a real pleasure too see. Very cool.  Okie

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2020, 09:52:46 AM »
^thanks. yes, i want to read her biography but i don't fancy spending £100 on a book which is cheapest i have seen it for
this interview from seventies UK tv is worth a watch if you've not seen it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md3ljrggTaY
sadly it is too brief - she must be mid-70s at least and still looks great
(if youtube blocks this in USA but you would still like to see it just let me know)

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2020, 01:40:47 PM »
I didn't know of her.  Thanks for sharing.  What a wonderfully positive outlook she had. 

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2020, 12:25:20 AM »
 Thanks for sharing the Bessie Love BBC interview, Redman.  I really liked her in The Lost World, especially.  Fun to hear her dad knew Tom Mix and the fates took over from there. I didn't know she had moved to England and worked in acting there later in life. Nice to learn new-old facts. Okie

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2020, 11:16:28 PM »
I haven't bought many posters lately, it seems that there aren't a lot of opportunities these days.  I just received in the mail this Italian 2F for The Land Unknown, which has some fun graphics based on the original Reynold Brown artwork done for the US 1/2 sheet and 3-sheet.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2020, 11:44:14 PM »
Great, bold colors on your The Land Unknown, Antoine! Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2020, 12:53:22 AM »
I haven't bought many posters lately, it seems that there aren't a lot of opportunities these days.

Same here, Antoine.  It's been super dry lately.  I buy 1,000 posters a year on average, and unless I buy 400 posters in the next month, I'll be 400 posters short  ;)  It hasn't happened since I started collecting, some 19 years ago.  Obviously, there are no new movies out there, but even with the older stuff, there is nothing.  Sad.

Nice poster btw.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline theegypt

• Beginner
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2020, 07:42:23 PM »
Since there are no posters to buy (a dry spell since the start of Covid), I decided to start collecting books hahaha...  And since I am a big Stephen King fan, I decided to start collecting all of his 1st editions.  I just started with Carrie and The Shining.  Man, true first printings aren’t cheap.  Most are in the thousands.  This is an education, because I know nothing about it.  It’s going to be fun!

Anyone else collects books?  I know Antoine and Holiday do.

T

check out the "Stephen King Rare Editions" group on facebook and thedarktower.org. They are great sources of info on Stephen King collecting. I collect signed/numbered books from small press publishers (subterranean press, centipede press, etc).