Author Topic: April 2020  (Read 15355 times)

Online Starling

• Collector
Re: April 2020
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2020, 05:04:13 PM »
Great pick ups Matt! Class all the way  bed1

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2020, 12:51:30 PM »

From Bruce’s recent auction for my “strong women characters in early cinema*” collection.

*Catchier name recommendations appreciated.

I’m late, but those two pick ups are lovely. That collections sounds very interesting...are you going to exhibit/share more one day please? :)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2020, 12:42:55 AM »
These are 2 stunning pickups, Okie!  Congrats!

I didn't buy anything in that auction because everything was linenbacked.  Otherwise, I would have made a bid for Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman.  I would also have bid on The Big Clock, as I love that movie and recently read the book on which it was based. As a side note, this is something that I've lately been doing to occupy myself during confinement due to Covid19: I started reading books that were the inspiration for some of my favorite films, such as Night of the Hunter, In a Lonely Place, Double Indemnity, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Rebecca, Psycho, Village of the Damned, etc... It's been really fun!

What did you think of the book Night of the Hunter, Antoine?   Okie

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2020, 10:58:25 AM »
I’m late, but those two pick ups are lovely. That collections sounds very interesting...are you going to exhibit/share more one day please? :)

None of my "collections" are very well defined and rarely are they thought out ahead of time.  Just kind of feelings I go with over time...

That said, with this "collection" I've been driven by the realization that early film had some amazingly strong women characters.  Many of them straight up women action heroes!  Instead, with the rise of the studio system in the US and Facism in Europe after WWI, women were relegated to damsels in distress for much of the rest of the history of film.  Sure, there were strong women in Film Noir, but only if you were a bad girl.  You could maybe argue Barbarella was the start of the change.  But it almost wasn't until Ripley in Alien that you get back to where film was already at 100 years ago!  Can you imagine if little girls had role models like these to look up to for the last 100 years?  Sigh.

Offline Seckin

• Beginner
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2020, 01:36:40 PM »
Matt,

I have a similar collection about women of cinema, not limited to very early cinema (though have posters from the era) but certainly does not include post 1970, and two of my favorites are these Rene Peron maquettes (Frau im Mond is a very recent pick up) for these two classics.

Congrats on the new pieces and good luck collecting more!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 01:43:20 PM by Seckin »

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2020, 01:56:33 PM »
Okie, the book Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb is excellent, a great work of fiction even apart from the fantastic film that it inspired.  I highly recommend it.

Harry, love those early posters featuring strong women you have!

Seckin, those maquettes by Peron fascinating.  I love that artist by the way, especially his Art Deco poster for the style B of the first French release of King Kong. 

Offline Seckin

• Beginner
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2020, 02:10:51 PM »
Thanks my friend, I am a big fan of that King Kong poster, too. Great art deco graphics.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2020, 08:50:08 PM »
Thanks my friend, I am a big fan of that King Kong poster, too. Great art deco graphics.

Wow, Seckin, those maquttes are really great!  Cool poster designs. Okie
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:51:52 PM by okiehawker »

Offline Seckin

• Beginner
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2020, 03:17:27 PM »
Hello Okie,

Thanks. Peron was a great designer and one could only wish if a poster copy of either of these could be found. That would be great.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2020, 09:27:43 PM »
Always love to see new posts from Sami - thanks for sharing!
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Seckin

• Beginner
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2020, 05:40:22 PM »
Thank you my Crowzilla, thanks a lot. :)