Author Topic: March 2020  (Read 17536 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
March 2020
« on: March 16, 2020, 01:06:14 AM »

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:21:11 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: March 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 01:24:20 AM »

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 01:27:03 AM »

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:30:03 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 01:28:41 AM »

Chris

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 07:24:47 AM »
^wow. amazing condition!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 07:28:46 AM »
Very nice, Chris. I've always liked that poster for The Hour Before the Dawn poster with the spotlights going across Veronica Lake's face.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 08:38:10 AM »
I think you must now have the biggest Aussie paper outside the country!  thumbsup.gif

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 10:31:45 PM »
That's the spirit, Chris!  Bringing late Aussie summer to Canada!  I especially like The Hour Before Dawn, The Big Clock, and Cyd Charisse! I have a very nice paperback for Party Girl if you would like it (PM me your address if you would like it and it's yours).  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 07:21:07 PM »
How was your HA experience?  Haven't seen any of the cool stuff you guys bought. 

I had a long list (5 posters) and failed to secure any of them.  They were folded but all went for too much, which is probably good after the massive hit I took in the markets. 

Then this linenbacked poster came along and I went for it out of spite.  It says it is in Very Fine + condition, so I'm assuming very little restoration hopefully.  I will still be looking for a folded copy.

That's all for me :( 

Post your gear.

T
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:23:28 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 11:57:25 PM »
Great poster T.

I remember being at a house in Miami in early 1993 and a guy opened a package in front of me that his brother in Cuba had gotten to him and out came 8 snow-white, never used 1-sheets on Forbidden Planet. Pretty impressive. I cherry picked one of the copies and traded him a Spider-man #1 for it.
If he still has it, he got the better end of that deal.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 06:06:40 AM »
Well, I managed to get something from HA.

It isn't a film poster but, as I mentioned to T last year, I spent two months living in Villefranche sur mer.  May and June.  I was working for a company that allowed and even promoted remote working.  So I went really remote.

I was looking for a travel poster for Villefranche but the only one I found did not really do it justice.

But, there is a chapel in Villefranche that was decorated internally and externally by the famed artist, Jean Cocteau.  And for which, there is a poster.

I only came across it because I also look up under the word Saint.  And there it was.

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 07:27:38 AM »
How was your HA experience?  Haven't seen any of the cool stuff you guys bought. 

I had a long list (5 posters) and failed to secure any of them.  They were folded but all went for too much, which is probably good after the massive hit I took in the markets. 

Then this linenbacked poster came along and I went for it out of spite.  It says it is in Very Fine + condition, so I'm assuming very little restoration hopefully.  I will still be looking for a folded copy.

That's all for me :( 

Post your gear.

T

Beautiful

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:08 AM »
My only purchase at HA this time was this 3-sheet for House of Horrors.  It's unfortunately linenbacked, but I decided to buy it anyway since it's really rare in this format, and it's the best paper for this title (I own a folded copy of the one sheet, and it's nowhere near as good a composition as this one).  Besides, I make the occasional exception to my "folded copy only" policy when it comes to large paper these days (I still refuse to buy any linenbacked one-sheet).

On that topic, I know I sound like a broken record, but there really were too many linenbacked items this time around.  I would have bought more stuff if there had been more folded paper available.  I hear you T, it took me a while to find a folded Forbidden Planet OS in excellent condition, but I finally got one at Bonham's last year, so be patient, one will turn up for you.   

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 12:09:18 PM »
I purchased this Animal House Advance one sheet at the HA auction. I attended the University of Oregon where this was filmed and still live nearby so this is a poster I've desired for a while.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 12:33:00 PM »
I would have bought more stuff if there had been more folded paper available.  I hear you T, it took me a while to find a folded Forbidden Planet OS in excellent condition, but I finally got one at Bonham's last year, so be patient, one will turn up for you.

I agree w u 1,000%.  Way way too much linen stuff in this sale.  The Forbidden Planet was not even on my list.  It just happened to be there and I was annoyed after missing a few pieces.  From their description, it seemed like it had been untouched by the restorer so I went for it.

I will look for a folded copy.  The only problem is that I will end up with 2 posters since I will not sell, like it has happened so many times before.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 10:35:21 PM »
I made a second place run at the Scarlet Pimpernel 1935 one sheet at Heritage hoping for what I thought might be a good deal.  Maybe it will come around a second time one day with luck and patience.  Maybe not as it is crazy rare, eh?  I did end up getting in Bruce's recent regular auction another Merle Oberon rarity: The Dark Angel one sheet from 1935.  Oberon was nominated for Best Actress for The Dark Angel. I really like Merle Oberon and was sure glad to get it!  Congrats T, Simes, Eric, and Antoine on some cool posters, too!  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 11:05:41 PM »
The fun thing for me is that HA hasn't sent me anything in almost a year.  I think they forgot about me  ;D 

So now I'm going to have them send everything at the same time and it will be like Christmas.  I'm getting stuff like Barbarella Italian, Jedi 12sht, Star Wars Concert...  I'm excited!  I hope they haven't lost anything.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 11:25:26 PM »
Great poster T.

I remember being at a house in Miami in early 1993 and a guy opened a package in front of me that his brother in Cuba had gotten to him and out came 8 snow-white, never used 1-sheets on Forbidden Planet. Pretty impressive. I cherry picked one of the copies and traded him a Spider-man #1 for it.
If he still has it, he got the better end of that deal.

Hi Crow, I was told a story about the Snow White one sheet stack when they were found.  Do you recall how many were in that find?  Okie

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 12:00:29 AM »
That Dark Angel one sheet is gorgeous. Congrats on picking that up!!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 12:24:50 AM »
That Dark Angel one sheet is gorgeous. Congrats on picking that up!!

Thanks, Starling!  I'm looking forward to putting it on the wall for awhile.  Okie

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »
i remember seeing that Dark Angel 1sh and thinking 'that looks v.nice'. it looks better than its condition grade. not seen the film but i like herbert marshall so will try and see it

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 06:31:05 PM »
i remember seeing that Dark Angel 1sh and thinking 'that looks v.nice'. it looks better than its condition grade. not seen the film but i like herbert marshall so will try and see it

I agree, Redman. I'm excited to see it in person.  I may leave it au naturel if the water stain seems as light as it appears in pictures.  Okie

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 06:50:19 PM »
Congrats on your Dark Angel pick-up Okie, I saw it in Bruce's auction and it caught my eye.  I almost made a bid for it even though it falls outside of my typical collecting interest (horror/sci-fi/film noir) because it's such a stunning poster.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 07:17:33 PM »
Congrats on the HA and EMP wins, chaps! Lovely posters all round.

May I cheapen the thread up a bit with some modern ones I recently had time to take photos of?

The Neon Demon, US One Sheet. This style seems uncommon, it's a DS poster and it has a really nice glossy finish.

The Scarlet Empress, Japanese B1. This release is from the 90s, I thought it was a really good image of Marlene Dietrich.

Fargo, Japanese B1. I've always liked the simplicity of this design.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 07:53:16 PM »
Fargo, Japanese B1. I've always liked the simplicity of this design.

Congrats on the Fargo B1.  A damn tough poster to find in that size!