Author Topic: Lobby Cards?  (Read 5664 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Lobby Cards?
« on: March 06, 2020, 07:32:31 AM »
Hey! guys,

Just wondered what the general feeling is like towards Lobby Cards on these forums?

Do you think they are worth picking up and do you consider them as collectable as film posters etc.?

So far.. I've never bought any Lobby Cards myself, but, clearly they are usually a much cheaper option than posters so it would certainly be easier to build a good collection more quickly than posters.

Any thoughts?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Lobby Cards?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 08:26:48 AM »
I've got heaps of Mexican lobby cards, for cheap and for desirable films and I think they are great, easy to put in a display folder. I like em and that's what counts

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 10:06:07 AM »
I've been collecting them.  To me, they work hand in hand with posters.  So if I like a movie, I want both.  I don't have a lot of them, but enough.  Some sets can be very expensive, though, sometimes more than posters.  I collect US, French, Italian and Spanish LCs and ONLY full sets.  Here's my US collection: https://moviepostersgallery.com/us-lobby-cards/

T
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:07:20 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 01:48:07 PM »
@50's Appreciate the feedback cheers

@T Yes, I've noticed before when checking out your website that you have quite a few full sets, I actually like the way you put your comment that "they work hand in hand with posters" if you like the movie, that's actually a pretty good way of looking at it, I'll have to look through my current poster collection and see if there's any decent sets around to match up with my poster of whatever film.

One thing that always put me off of looking into lobby cards to much is I thought it would be much easier for there to be reprints if your not 100% up on what your looking for due to lobby cards being much smaller size, I'd guess they'd be easier to fake, so I'll certainly have to read up on them a little bit before I buy any sets myself as I'm a total novice in this area :-[

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 05:05:27 PM »
Title lobby cards are the way to go.  Quite often the same artwork as Style A half sheet
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 05:21:01 PM »
If buying from Bruce, I’d stay clear of anything post 1980 labeled Good to Very Good.  It means pinholes!!!!!  Yuk!!!  I hate pinholes on LCS.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 11:26:22 PM »
Then you shouldnt buy vintage german LCs : ph's AND sometimes trimmed  :-\

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 11:59:03 PM »
I started out collecting lobbies. They're easier to display, take up less room than one sheets, and foreign sets can be much less expensive than US sets, although they're usually on much flimsier paper rather than US card stock. The idea of collecting sets appealed to me - then I discovered how frustrating finding full sets of some films could be. Trying to piece sets together one card at a time almost never works. If only I had bought a complete 2001 set a few years ago...

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 09:16:51 AM »
If buying from Bruce, I’d stay clear of anything post 1980 labeled Good to Very Good.  It means pinholes!!!!!  Yuk!!!  I hate pinholes on LCS.

T

I was actually quite surprised to see just how many lobby cards seem to have pinholes, I would have thought being that they are small and easy to frame this would have been a big help in stopping pinholes, but, I guess some people over the years have not been fussed or worried about keeping them in good condition so have just pinned them up on wall/board without even a second thought hmmm.gif

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 01:12:02 AM »
I'm like Steve.  I buy what images I like. Chris mentioned title cards and by golly they do often times have great images.  I've bought lesser condition hard to find lcs when I really enjoy the image.  Mine are mainly 1950s and earlier, though a few newer ones have snuck in like Love at First Bite, Highlander, and Something About Mary.  Buy what you like and have fun, Test!  Okie

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 12:46:35 AM »
I love lobby cards.  Theoretically they would've been displayed along with posters in theater lobbies, so they're about as close to a poster as you can get for me.  Plus foreign lobbies for some films can be extremely rare, and it's nice to hunt and occasionally find a rare gem.  For example, I collect a lot of Hammer Films-related material, and although French and German lobby sets of the early '60s often were comprised of more than 20 cards, in my nearly 20 years of collecting there are some films for which I've only found about a handful. 

Italian lobby cards, known as fotobuste, or anglicized as photobustas, should qualify as posters because of their size (some are about as big as a one-sheet), and the type of poster paper they are often printed on.  The artfulness they went into some of these should most definitely qualify as "poster art." 

I also agree with Dr. Bill that lobbies are easy to display.  Because of their size, US lobbies are also very easy to store in archival Itoya 11 x 14 art portfolios.  It always gives me joy to flip through my lobby card portfolios and reminisce about when I collected each one.   

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
Hi Stefano,  I agree with you on photobustas.  There are some I've really liked, though so far I don't have one. Reminiscing about how certain collectibles came into the collection sure can be fun, too. Bummer is I can't remember from where some were found now.  Lost to time and all that.  The old flea market and antique store finds tend to stick in my memory the best.  Okie

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 01:07:30 PM »
I was actually quite surprised to see just how many lobby cards seem to have pinholes, I would have thought being that they are small and easy to frame this would have been a big help in stopping pinholes, but, I guess some people over the years have not been fussed or worried about keeping them in good condition so have just pinned them up on wall/board without even a second thought hmmm.gif

The pinholes for the most part came from the original theater display.  Owners would dedicate a one sheet case to lobbies and 8x10 glossies and either staple or thumbtack them to a backing board.

I personally love lobbies.  They tend to be less expensive than the one sheet, and as others have mentioned, they are easy to display.  I built a couple of coffee table books of better cards, and can show off a couple hundred cards with no wall clutter.  They also fit nicely in small bath spaces.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned that involves the hobby itself.  The majority of the sets have been broken up over time, especially by cretins who only want the title card (  :) CSM )  I get a collecting thrill from trying to build a set from individual cards at auction.  It is a real rush when you manage to find and win the final card to build up a set.  You don't tend to get that often from other sizes, except possibly for the completeist.
-Jay-

Offline giugno

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 06:00:17 PM »
Hi all, not sure if this is the most appropriate place to ask -- especially since it's regarding Mexican Lobby Cards. If there's a more appropriate thread to ask please point me in that direction.

I have gotten into buying some Mexican lobby cards lately, and most I have found printed in Mexico are on the larger size: 12.5" x 16.5" or approximately around there. I'm aware that USA printed 'photo'card for Mexican films measure at the standard USA size of 11" x 14".  Did Mexico itself print any cards in that size of 11" x 14"?

I have aquired some Santo cards for "El Baron Brakola" which say Impreso en Mexico, but are the smaller USA size of 11" x 14". All the language on the card is Spanish itself. and appears legit. I'm just curious if any of you have come across Mexican made Mexican lobby cards in this size? All others I have bought have been 12x16.

Thanks everyone

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2021, 07:26:29 PM »
I have seen the 11x14 (US standard size) sold as - Spanish International lobby cards - rather than Mexican lobby cards - so as to differentiate them from cards that were made to be displayed in Mexican cinemas (size approx. 12 x16) both being printed in Mexico, the former for export only.
Regards

Ian

Offline giugno

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2021, 07:50:01 PM »
That makes sense! Thanks for the speedy reply :) I probably have a million more questions about Mexican lobby cards! For instance, there's a few Mexican films I have two cards of for each film [Mujeres sacrificadas x2, and Pasaporte a Rio x2] -- with different artwork on each card. One Mujeres has a real colorful read/yellow border art, the other Mujeres is just a 1 color design. I don't believe either is dated, so I don't know which style is the "original" release, per se, and which may be a re-release. Or could there be multiple styles that are original/first release. I just don't know, or trust myself or people advertising as such, on the internet -- so much as it comes to "original".

Again, I've tried Googling a lot of questions but have come short with a lot of answers. Thanks for any input.

Pasaporte a Río, is in fact an Argentine film. So, maybe one of my cards is mexican and another Arg? I really don't know ha
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 07:51:28 PM by giugno »

• Beginner
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2021, 01:06:37 PM »
Giugno,

You need to research carefully if looking to buy a rare first release Mexican Lobby card as they are not dated and are re-released.

For example I have researched buying 'LOS OLVIDADOS' lobby cards as I like the poster (which I don't have).

My understanding, after some research, is that the first release in Mexico of ''LOS OLVIDADOS' is a duotone image and is quite rare:-

The more colorful version was also released in the 50's, but is not a first release.

There are other releases, 60's and 90's but typically it is the colorful version that is sold as 'original', although my understanding it is not the first release.

Regards

Ian

Offline giugno

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2021, 04:54:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply Ealing,

Is there anything based off the information provided in these 4 mex. lobby cards that could help me determine when about they were produced? Anything like the inclusion of the Distributor that maybe would indicate a specific period they were produced or re-produced.

I don't think either of these cards is from the same set, but I wouldn't know. I don't yet know the peculiarities, I suppose, that come along with Mexican lobby cards. I know it is only just two random, unpopular films, but just curious if there's anything to glean from some of the logos or markings. I appreciate any insight you might be able to give me!

• Beginner
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2021, 02:24:43 AM »
There is nothing that stands out on these images to indicate a release or re-release, that said there were sometimes two sets (A and B) issued at the original release. I have two Mexican posters for the movie 'MUJERES SACRIFICADAS' one of which is an alternative title -  'El recuerdo del otro', the image in the first lobby card  'MUJERES SACRIFICADAS' is the same image that is on the alternative title 'El recuerdo del otro'. My guess is these are from two sets issued at the original release of the movie, but other collectors might recognize them as release and re-release.
Regards

Ian

Offline giugno

• Beginner
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2021, 11:16:28 AM »
Again, thanks for all the information.

To be honest, I'm not toooo concerned with original release or re-releases, as long as I like the artwork and photographs. I think I'd only be upset if I were sold something deceptively as original, when it clearly is not. I'd like to protect myself against that if possible. I am just interested in increasing my knowledge about the cards in general, perhaps I should try to investigate some on the Spanish-speaking side of the internet (though my Spanish is about 70%).

But for the most part, these are fairly inexpensive items. Even looking at the history results on eMovieposter, they never have ventured tremendously high - even for some titles that I would think would command more demand. I particularly like Mexican, country of origin films, as opposed to Mexican cards of USA films. Though, there's plenty appeal about the artwork in all of the cards. Perhaps a lot of the Mexican films never being released in English or stateside has a lot to do with keeping the popularity down. Which is a shame, because Mexican cinema in general is amazing - from horror to noir to the melodramatic and rumbera films.