Author Topic: New forum administrators  (Read 17232 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
New forum administrators
« on: February 18, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »
Holiday and I wanted to inform you all the Tob (Tob) and Jason (jedgerley) are now forum administrators.

They will be in charge of new members and all administration duties and we couldn't be happier.

This forum needs a little boost, and they are the right people for the job.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Charlie

• Collector
Re: New forum administrators
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »
I might have to frequent this place more often...

Congrats Jason and Tob!

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 12:22:07 PM »
Great news. Good luck guys!

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 01:59:56 PM »
Yes, happy to have Tob and Jason on the admin team :)

Thierry and I have thought of shutting the place down because it seems like the world continues its infatuation with social media.  Truly, though, if I spend 15 minutes a day total on ALL social media, that would be an exaggeration.  Though, social media can be a useful too for those not ruled by that shit.

Tob and Jason were willing to step up to stave off that possibility, at least for awhile.  Things change, people - like me - grow away from collecting, and the world shifts to new distractions.  For the core that remains there though, we will keep plugging along for a time :)

When we started this place, Thierry and I, we did so to get out from under that shittard Andy and his censorship.  There was a price to pay, though, because Theirry and I have for the most part refrained from censoring anyone unless you turn into a hateful asshole. As a result of the light hand, folks have left rather than deal with the trolling.  it gets old, and life is too short to suffer schmucks.

Anyway, I'm gonna get off the soapbox for the wood is needed elsewhere.  My invitation remains, play nice, play team, and have fun with the hobby :) 

Thanks again to Tob and Jason for stepping up :)

Holiday
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 03:17:16 PM »
And Jeff?
Chris

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 05:31:21 PM »
And Jeff?

“...I know he's been having some family health issues so I'm sure when they've been sorted he'll be back...”

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 05:34:17 PM »
Nicely done. No wonder they made you!

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 05:53:33 PM »
On another note, thanks T and Holiday for keeping this going despite the social media thing, which I hate, by the way.  I actually make a point of being as old school as possible, no Instagram, no Facebook, etc. Just a few online forums (MiRC anyone) and 32 bit videogames. I bought my daughters walkmans for christmas... and tapes.  Tapes! Fuck everything after 1996 I say. 

What I mean to say, again, is thanks.   cheers

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 06:11:23 PM »
Ditto that comment! I don't use much social media either - normally just to enter a poster competition!!
Good luck Tob & Jason!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 07:47:59 PM »
Thirded. I only have a FB and insta account due to my business. I use them approx 0 minutes a day otherwise. I love that this place still kicks it old skool.

Congrats on the promotions fellas! 

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 03:32:21 AM »
I've not been on these forums for as long as many of you on here, I only joined a couple of years ago approx. but, I can honestly say it's been an enjoyable time on these forums whenever I'm reading posts or posting things myself, this is the ONLY! place I talk about posters and post my collection.

I'm sure nearly every one of us who visits these forums has learnt something about poster collecting that they did not know before joining, I for one hope the forums stick around for many years to come.

All the best to the two new admins notworthy.gif

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 06:32:45 AM »
I'm very pleased that Tob and Jason have stepped up to help give this forum a shake up. I don't have much time for social media either - the great thing about forums like this is the wealth of information contained in earlier posts.

Mark

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 08:24:41 AM »
Thanks all, happy to lend a hand to a forum I'm very fond of.

I use a couple of social media platforms, but agree with the sentiments above - forums like this are hard to beat as a repository for useful information. Trying to search a group on Facebook is not usually very productive (even if it has been well organised by admin with tags/categories).

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 09:12:16 AM »
And Jeff?

Hi Chris.  Jeff is no longer an admin.  I haven't heard from him since December.  I hope he is ok.  I know some folks have some unfinished business with him, and I hope that when he sorts what it seems he may be going through, that he will clean things up.  I had this happen to me years ago when my brother died, and that was the watershed moment for me that led me away from APF - it blew up my world to be sure. 

And to the rest of you who commented about social media and the forum, thanks for your input. I agree that social media has really devolved (if it was ever evolved) into a platform for people to obsess over being liked by others.  I review it only to stay connected with my people, and to share things like my photography and my life coaching practice.  Sometimes I even let people know I practice law too :)

H
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 10:44:03 AM »
Good luck guys.

I for one, should post more in the forum. Life's been pretty hectic for about a year now and for the last few weeks I've been making an effort to post a bit more.

One point to I'd like to bring up though:

I see dealers who post here who offer nothing to any conversation except their promotions.

How does that sit with other people?

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 11:12:32 AM »
I don't judge it.  Folks contribute in their own way, and I think it helps us to have their interest enough to put their wares up for sale - keeps us connected after a fashion.

And, the invitation is always there for them to participate beyond posting for-sale adds.

I will say that I imagine there are a lot who do not participate (dealers and other folks alike) in order to stay out of the conversations that sometimes get a little nasty.  Part of increasing participation among everyone involves everyone working together to create a space that nurtures participation, rather than creating fear for doing so :)

H

Good luck guys.

I for one, should post more in the forum. Life's been pretty hectic for about a year now and for the last few weeks I've been making an effort to post a bit more.

One point to I'd like to bring up though:

I see dealers who post here who offer nothing to any conversation except their promotions.

How does that sit with other people?

Marc
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 04:01:39 PM »
I couldn't agree more Holiday.
I've never really understood the need to get "nasty". Nothing wrong with a good argument but keep it to the point & it's not life or death so no need to get personal either.
I joined this forum because I collect posters. It was the best place to chat/get information /meet like minded people then & it is still now. It just needs a bit of tweaking.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 09:30:12 PM »
Hot Dog!  Congratulations Tob and Jason!  This is the only forum I'm on and I'm not a member of any social media.  Thank goodness I found APF. And, thank goodness Holiday and T created it and are letting it continue.  Hooray!  Okie

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 12:00:24 AM »
I've only been a member for the last couple of years and haven't been too active, but I've certainly enjoyed my time around here.  Looking forward to what the future holds here at APF.  Onward and upward! 

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 10:16:36 AM »
I don't judge it.  Folks contribute in their own way, and I think it helps us to have their interest enough to put their wares up for sale - keeps us connected after a fashion.

And, the invitation is always there for them to participate beyond posting for-sale adds.

I will say that I imagine there are a lot who do not participate (dealers and other folks alike) in order to stay out of the conversations that sometimes get a little nasty.  Part of increasing participation among everyone involves everyone working together to create a space that nurtures participation, rather than creating fear for doing so :)

H

I agree - sometimes it has got a little bit nasty in here and that does put people off from posting and I speak from experience.

It's a great forum with some incredibly knowledgeable people.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »
Zowie! I don't look for a few days and...changes! Changes!  CHANGES!  Great idea bringing Jason and Tob into the admin fold. Bravo, Holiday and Thierry for doing so and CONGRATULATIONS to Jason and Tob for their new roles.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 02:42:56 PM »
Hi Chris.  Jeff is no longer an admin.  I haven't heard from him since December.  I hope he is ok.  I know some folks have some unfinished business with him, and I hope that when he sorts what it seems he may be going through, that he will clean things up.  I had this happen to me years ago when my brother died, and that was the watershed moment for me that led me away from APF - it blew up my world to be sure. 

And to the rest of you who commented about social media and the forum, thanks for your input. I agree that social media has really devolved (if it was ever evolved) into a platform for people to obsess over being liked by others.  I review it only to stay connected with my people, and to share things like my photography and my life coaching practice.  Sometimes I even let people know I practice law too :)

H

Thanks Holiday.
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2020, 05:25:59 PM »
Congrats to the new admins.

Request: can we please unlock the forum so guests can read all threads, not just members? Would entice more member growth and would help the hobby overall I feel. Thanks in advance.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 05:50:01 PM »
Congrats to the new admins.

Request: can we please unlock the forum so guests can read all threads, not just members? Would entice more member growth and would help the hobby overall I feel. Thanks in advance.

Great idea. I second that! I've tried to send others here, but they can't see much so they don't bother.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2020, 04:33:08 AM »
Many thanks both.  And to both new admins.

Sorry to hear of Jeff's woes.

Yeah, social media.  I too do not partake aside from professional needs for LinkedIn.  And even that is presence-based as opposed to any day-to-day involvement.

All the best,