Author Topic: Very cool article on the impressive fake movie posters of Tarantino's latest  (Read 4685 times)

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
There were a number of "fake" posters created for the new Tarantino movie, to look like Italian 60s movie posters. Also items from the director's own movie poster collection were used throughout the film. MUBI has the story.

https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/movie-poster-of-the-week-the-real-and-fake-posters-for-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 12:07:23 PM by rumble »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Interesting.

Also, a quote from the article...

One side note: In trying to figure out which poster Sony was using for marketing, I visited the two biggest multiplexes in Times Square that are showing the movie—the AMC Empire 25 and the Regal E-Walk—the day before the opening. Neither had a single poster in their lobby for the film. In fact, the few posters that there were (maybe 7 or 8) seemed sad and unprepossessing, dwarfed by the vast space they were in. Although key art is alive and well on the internet it seems that actual printed 27" x 40" posters are rarely seen—wildposting in New York City being generally a thing of the past—and even in theaters they seem like an afterthought. Much as I love the printed one sheet, these Times Square theaters would be better served with enormous digital screens displaying all the posters for the films they are playing rather than a few dog-eared posters behind glass.

More signs that the printed poster's days are numbered.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
I don't think printed 1-sheets are going anywhere anytime soon. Out in the wilds of New Jersey the movie poster is alive and well. The  digital poster displays are in use mostly at the larger theatres in malls, etc. The smaller neighborhood theatres still use paper 1-sheets.

And how sad is it that the fake posters are so much better than the real ones used for promoting the movie? Photoshop sucks!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Those posters fooled me for a minute as old originals, Rumble! I was scrolling up before I saw your written explanation.  Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
And how sad is it that the fake posters are so much better than the real ones used for promoting the movie? Photoshop sucks!

Yes.  Another good point.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
Yes several of the “Italian” posters were painted by Renato Casaro who did lots of iconic posters in the 60s and 70s - they really look authentic!

Offline sederic68

• Beginner
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123865558699

What's up with these on ebay? Original or not?
Eric

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
Hah, I was going to say that Rick Dalton looks a bit like Leo DiCaprio, however out of place!  Only to search the movie to find the DiCaprio actually plays the lead. 

I never got into Tarantino films (maybe one day...) but he sure seems to have a great appreciation for the kind of Italian cinema that I love, right down to poster design.