Author Topic: Poster restorers in the UK - current  (Read 12157 times)

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
Poster restorers in the UK - current
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:42:57 AM »
I have a Polish poster that is falling apart and needs some major restoration doing on it. Can anyone advise me if there is a good restorer in the UK. The last one I used some years ago for a backing did a fair job backing it but didn't event match up the 4 tear properly, They could have put the two parts together better than they did - IMHO - so don't want to use them again. The damage to this poster is substantial but I would like to rescue it otherwise it will go in the bin. I know the restoration can cost a lot so I also got to work out whether it is actually worth it or can I get a replacement for less cost.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Poster restorers in the UK - current
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:53:12 AM »
I always use Poster Science, in Deal, Kent.

http://www.posterscience.com/

If you do your searches here, you will see this chap has his historical detractors while he was living in London.  But now that he has shifted to the coast since five years, the stress of London has fallen away.  And, most importantly, his output and communication has immeasurably improved.

Best of luck with your restorations.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 07:56:05 AM »
I always use Poster Science, in Deal, Kent.

http://www.posterscience.com/

If you do your searches here, you will see this chap has his historical detractors while he was living in London.  But now that he has shifted to the coast since five years, the stress of London has fallen away.  And, most importantly, his output and communication has immeasurably improved.

Best of luck with your restorations.

Thanks mate, I will have a look at his site and make contact.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 07:59:14 AM »
Tell him yours is a referral from Simon Firth.

There's nothing in it for me, but it might ensure something, connections being what they are.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 04:49:35 PM »
Thanks mate, I will have a look at his site and make contact.

Before you leave your posters with that guy, perhaps this thread will offer additional "insight" into his work habits and behaviour:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6336.0.html

-Jeff

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »
what is the Polish poster? don't bin it, send it to me ;D
i read the thread yesterday that erik made a link for. after reading it i doubt i would use that guy but that's just me.
maybe send your poster to simon and he can send it to them pretending it is his ??? ;D
or if possible just fix separations as best you can yourself with acid free tape and put poster in a A1 polyester sleeve (assuming it's not large polish)

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »
Ha ha, off course you can have it Redman?

I read through that post as well and sure it doesn't sound encouraging for me to go with this guy... Are there any other backers or restorers recommended in the UK?

The problem is I think the poster has gone way past using tape to repair it. It has some big tears in it including paper loss and some major separation that goes  half down one of the folds.

Where do I get the tape and do you use glue of some sort. I have always resisting using anything to stick tears together - how do I do it?

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 03:16:44 PM »
some help here
if you tape it you will at least sort of stabilize it and prevent things getting worse. you will probably be suprised and pleased with the result

edit - just seen eriks post and i would buy that. in fact i am going to buy some myself as i have some repairs to do as well

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 03:40:46 AM »
Erik, and alternative tape that I can order in the UK. That one is 30$ to ship to the UK.  I searched for that male on amazon.co.uk and it’s £70 before postage.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 07:13:20 AM »
^ preservationequipment.com is a uk company, also available on amazonuk for less than £20 including postage

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 07:29:35 AM »
Before you leave your posters with that guy, perhaps this thread will offer additional "insight" into his work habits and behaviour:

As a UK collector I have previously visited his studio. I prefer my very occasional linen-backing to be done in the US/Canada.

Mark

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 11:28:17 AM »
As a UK collector I have previously visited his studio. I prefer my very occasional linen-backing to be done in the US/Canada.

Mark

That Alain Bourgouin would also hold people's posters "hostage" to the point that some collectors either threatened or actually DID call the police to get involved, so they could get their property back, as well as his known drinking problem, I think any and all would be wise to stay away from this character. Other tales included him NOT even answering his door, when a collector came to gather posters, that, at times, were either hastily or only partly finished.

And if I recall, he re-located, too, as part of all his mess in handling people's posters. Almost like he was hoping to put his less-than-unprofessional past behind him, when he moved to Kent.

I have no doubt he carried his linen, wheat paste and cognac with him to his new locale, too.  :P
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:31:20 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 09:43:42 PM »
That Alain Bourgouin would also hold people's posters "hostage" to the point that some collectors either threatened or actually DID call the police to get involved, so they could get their property back, as well as his known drinking problem, I think any and all would be wise to stay away from this character. Other tales included him NOT even answering his door, when a collector came to gather posters, that, at times, were either hastily or only partly finished.

And if I recall, he re-located, too, as part of all his mess in handling people's posters. Almost like he was hoping to put his less-than-unprofessional past behind him, when he moved to Kent.

I have no doubt he carried his linen, wheat paste and cognac with him to his new locale, too.  :P

Sounds a nightmare - definately off him. Anyone any other good suggestions in the UK?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 06:57:15 AM »
I know postage isn't cheap these days, but I think you're better off sending to one of the guys in the US/Canada like Dario. Whenever this question comes up, I'm yet to see anyone in the UK that is recommended.

A halfway house is to use Antikbar's relationship with Poster Mountain - details on how that works is on their site:

https://www.antikbar.co.uk/poster_restoration/

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 07:30:08 AM »
^ preservationequipment.com is a uk company, also available on amazonuk for less than £20 including postage

I looked on this site, could you tell me which one to buy as not sure, different types of tape, different prices. I want one that is obviously not permanent - ie you can remove it safely without ripping the poster (you know how delicate old polish posters are.)

https://www.preservationequipment.com/catalogue/results.aspx?search=conservation+tape

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 08:02:13 AM »
I know postage isn't cheap these days, but I think you're better off sending to one of the guys in the US/Canada like Dario. Whenever this question comes up, I'm yet to see anyone in the UK that is recommended.

A halfway house is to use Antikbar's relationship with Poster Mountain - details on how that works is on their site:

https://www.antikbar.co.uk/poster_restoration/

Good suggestions. Antikbar is a trusted intermediary I have previously used and Poster Mountain know what they are doing. However, you will most likely have to factor in the cost of some restoration which can soon add up. And, as Tob suggests, Dario is a great option also for one sheet/quad size posters or smaller. He does great work and is very communicative, fast and reasonably priced.

Mark

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 10:11:52 AM »
Good suggestions. Antikbar is a trusted intermediary I have previously used and Poster Mountain know what they are doing. However, you will most likely have to factor in the cost of some restoration which can soon add up. And, as Tob suggests, Dario is a great option also for one sheet/quad size posters or smaller. He does great work and is very communicative, fast and reasonably priced.

Mark

Is poster mountain the company run by guy I think is called John Smith??

I had something done with them once , did a good job but didn't have restoration done as it was just too expensive for me for a poster that is only work a 2 or 3 of Hundred pounds.

This  intermediary seems ok at a £100 base cost but with £75 an hour for the restoration I reckon it could take a few hours to do my restoration so  I just wonder if its worth it for a cheapish poster - that I could maybe get another copy (if one comes up at Emovie one day).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 10:23:37 AM »

I had something done with them once , did a good job but didn't have restoration done as it was just too expensive for me for a poster that is only work a 2 or 3 of Hundred pounds.

This  intermediary seems ok at a £100 base cost but with £75 an hour for the restoration I reckon it could take a few hours to do my restoration so  I just wonder if its worth it for a cheapish poster - that I could maybe get another copy (if one comes up at Emovie one day).

PM's owner is John Davis.

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 11:46:13 AM »

Antikbar is quoting the sterling equivalent of Poster Mountain's charges which I think are inclusive of shipping charges both ways.

Mark

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 01:50:28 PM »
I looked on this site, could you tell me which one to buy as not sure, different types of tape, different prices. I want one that is obviously not permanent - ie you can remove it safely without ripping the poster (you know how delicate old polish posters are.)

https://www.preservationequipment.com/catalogue/results.aspx?search=conservation+tape

i am going to get the Neschen Filmoplast® P - for mending paper as linked by jeff
this is because the tape is clear. i plan to tape my repair from the front, making sure it is perfect ;)
then i am going to turn the poster over and tape the repair (it will be all lined up due to above)
next i will probably remove the tape from the front (it says it is invisible but i doubt it, i will wait and see what it looks like)
don't worry about messing up as the tape will be easily removable with lighter fuel + tweezers

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 03:54:25 PM »
Hmmm I didn't know Filmoplast had a transparent tape.  Might need to look into that!
Chris

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 05:43:47 PM »

i am going to get the Neschen Filmoplast® P - for mending paper as linked by jeff
this is because the tape is clear. i plan to tape my repair from the front, making sure it is perfect ;)
then i am going to turn the poster over and tape the repair (it will be all lined up due to above)
next i will probably remove the tape from the front (it says it is invisible but i doubt it, i will wait and see what it looks like)
don't worry about messing up as the tape will be easily removable with lighter fuel + tweezers

Wouldn't the lighter fuel damage the poster print?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »
Wouldn't the lighter fuel damage the poster print?

Lighter fluid dissolves tape residue and then evaporates cleanly from poster (or any) paper, leaving no mark, stain, or "ring." It's a well known solvent for tape adhesives of various types.  thumbsup.gif

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,11963.0.html

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2010.0.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:05:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 10:08:42 PM »
Redman, another alternative to taping the front of the poster to hold it together is using the adhesive part of post it notes. I've used this method before and the sticky part of the paper is light enough to hold the paper together but peels off easily with absolutely no damage to the front of the poster. A pad of them should be enough; I just tear off the non sticky section and throw them into the recycle paper bin.