Author Topic: New Guy from Australia  (Read 8268 times)

MDrumm

New Guy from Australia
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »
Hi all, Finally got my registration sorted so thought I'd start posting, I've had various posters on my walls over the years but as new ones came along the old ones got tossed in the garbage - Wish I'd had the foresight to keep them...Anyway only just recently started to get into collecting as a hobby after purchasing a mounted double sided original from America, I loved the way it looked so decided from now on I'm going to buy only originals as opposed to the single sided reprints I usually get and mount the ones I keep to display, I'm hoping to build up my collection over time since I'll probably need to buy them from America given the impossibility of trying to buy them here, Apparently once they finish at the cinemas here they vanish because I can't find anyone who sells them here - Anyone got any contacts or businesses to direct me to?

Another reason for joining this forum is I'm seeking advice on long term storage of posters so that they are in optimal condition should I decide to display\sell them in the months or years to come, Anyone got hints\suggestions?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Matt  :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: New Guy from Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:30:04 PM »
Hey Matt,

Welcome to the forum.  Glad to have u here.

A few questions:

1) When you talk of mounting posters, do you mean framing, or gluing to a rigid backboard?
2) What era do you collect?  A lot of people on the forum will be able to help you find the appropriate seller, but first we need to know your collecting choices.
3) Storage depends on weather.  If you live somewhere humid, you will have to take additional steps to protect your collection.  You will not be able to stack up posters for they might stick together over time.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:00:25 PM »
 welcome1 Matt!
You've come to the right place for your poster mania!

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:02:51 PM »
Welcome!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:16:11 AM »
Aloha,
Theres a few Aussie members here (myself included) who can possibly help you source locally, if need be, regardless with the aussie $ strong against the US$ these days buying from USA has never been better for us.

Ari
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

MDrumm

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 01:00:44 AM »
Hey Matt,

Welcome to the forum.  Glad to have u here.

A few questions:

1) When you talk of mounting posters, do you mean framing, or gluing to a rigid backboard?
2) What era do you collect?  A lot of people on the forum will be able to help you find the appropriate seller, but first we need to know your collecting choices.
3) Storage depends on weather.  If you live somewhere humid, you will have to take additional steps to protect your collection.  You will not be able to stack up posters for they might stick together over time.

Thierry

Aloha,
Theres a few Aussie members here (myself included) who can possibly help you source locally, if need be, regardless with the aussie $ strong against the US$ these days buying from USA has never been better for us.

Ari

When I say mounting, I mean gluing to the board, I know it can potentially devalue posters if you re-sell them but since I don't intend to mount anything I don't want to keep that shouldn't be an issue. And I also think mounting looks better than framing plus it is 50% cheaper(At least around here).

I live in Canberra so it can get fairly humid in Summer but it isn't usually too bad but then again I've never stuck posters together to see how they faired after 3 months either!

As for what era I want to collect with a few exceptions I'm trying to focus primarily on 1990s - Today

@Ari That's one of the reasons I've decided to get into collecting now to take advantage of the fairly good exchange rate but if I had a local source it could help expand my collection quicker, Plus I hate waiting for international mail it always seems to take forever!

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far.

Matt  ;D

Matt

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 03:40:55 AM »
WTF, I'm going to be talking to myself.

Two Matt's from Australia don't make a daybill.

BTW, Welcome Matt :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 07:16:12 AM »
Another Matt?  Wow...what's with you Aussies? Maybe I should change my middle name to Matt since I am 1/2 Australian?

Oh and welcome...as Ari said there are quite a few great Aussie collectors here so you'll feel right at home...
Chris

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »
Welcome Matt2!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 11:26:31 PM »
When I say mounting, I mean gluing to the board, I know it can potentially devalue posters if you re-sell them but since I don't intend to mount anything I don't want to keep that shouldn't be an issue. And I also think mounting looks better than framing plus it is 50% cheaper(At least around here).

I live in Canberra so it can get fairly humid in Summer but it isn't usually too bad but then again I've never stuck posters together to see how they faired after 3 months either!

As for what era I want to collect with a few exceptions I'm trying to focus primarily on 1990s - Today

@Ari That's one of the reasons I've decided to get into collecting now to take advantage of the fairly good exchange rate but if I had a local source it could help expand my collection quicker, Plus I hate waiting for international mail it always seems to take forever!

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far.

Matt  ;D

Matt, if you collect post 90s posters, you should not have to mount your posters.  You can frame them without mounting.  Mounting doesn't depreciate the value of your posters, it eliminates it.  Frame your posters as they are and you will be able to save them.  Mel is our expert framer :)  Unfortunately, he's taking a little vacation from poster collecting (or is he?)  He should be back in a couple of weeks with all the info you need about framing.

Now, since you collect post 90s posters, I strongly recommend Dale Dilts's Ebay auctions.  If you can't find something you're looking for, email Dale, he keeps thousands of unlisted copies aside: http://shop.ebay.com/ddilts399/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=50&_sop=10  His posters are always originals and in mint condition.  Plus, his shipping is top notch.  And he is a member of this forum.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

MDrumm

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 11:47:24 PM »
Matt, if you collect post 90s posters, you should not have to mount your posters.  You can frame them without mounting.  Mounting doesn't depreciate the value of your posters, it eliminates it.  Frame your posters as they are and you will be able to save them.  Mel is our expert framer :)  Unfortunately, he's taking a little vacation from poster collecting (or is he?)  He should be back in a couple of weeks with all the info you need about framing.

Now, since you collect post 90s posters, I strongly recommend Dale Dilts's Ebay auctions.  If you can't find something you're looking for, email Dale, he keeps thousands of unlisted copies aside: http://shop.ebay.com/ddilts399/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=50&_sop=10  His posters are always originals and in mint condition.  Plus, his shipping is top notch.  And he is a member of this forum.

T

Thanks for the recommendation to Dale, I actually purchased my latest poster from him which is how I found this site I'm just waiting for it to arrive, Any idea how long UPS takes to get posters to Australia from the states?, I get what you're saying about mounting v framing but unfortunately to get a 27x40 poster framed here(At least the local framing stores near me) is about $300 and I very rarely if ever have that sort of money laying around so I really have no choice but to mount them since the last few I got laminated were essentially ruined and framing is usually out of the option, But as I said the ones I mount I don't plan to sell so not overly concerned about recouping the money I spend on them at this stage I simply want them to look good on the walls which is another reason to start a collection for re-sale at a later date.

I've done a bit of research the last few days and still haven't found a good local source(Any ideas????) Though I have noticed so good ones in Dale's store and I'll need to contact him once my current order arrives.

On the other hand I've also researched long term storage and found a few helpful hints as to keeping them flat in sleeves inside a folder or rolled in tubes etc. Since you guys have been at it longer than me I'm hoping you may have some views on what is best and how to accomplish it, So please let me know if you do.

Thanks again to all who have replied your help will be invaluable as I start my collecting

Matt

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 03:27:43 AM »
I want a % of the Ddilts Co.  I have recommended so many people over the years, it's ridiculous. 

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 07:43:56 AM »
Hi all, Finally got my registration sorted so thought I'd start posting, I've had various posters on my walls over the years but as new ones came along the old ones got tossed in the garbage - Wish I'd had the foresight to keep them...Anyway only just recently started to get into collecting as a hobby after purchasing a mounted double sided original from America, I loved the way it looked so decided from now on I'm going to buy only originals as opposed to the single sided reprints I usually get and mount the ones I keep to display,
Matt  :)

Matt, I'm a little confused.  I definitely agree with Thierry that you shouldn't be mounting any of your posters.  Also buying and shipping mounted posters from the US is prohibitively expensive.  Just buy some 27"x40"/41" frames and rotate your existing posters.  For Australian metric posters (700mm x 1000mm) you can buy relatively cheap frames from IKEA.  Here are some example frames:

Linen-backed Pulp Fiction (I'm assuming this was originally folded) in 40" frame:

Rolled Return of the Jedi in 41" frame:

Folded Downhill Racer (worth $250) in 41" frame:

Folded Legend of Frenchie King (metric size Canadian poster) in IKEA 1000mm frame (about $30):

You'll "get used to" the folds in older posters after a while.  If they continue to bother you, you should opt for linen-backing.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 06:17:42 PM »
How much does dry-mouting devalue a poster?  Here's a test case - a dry-mounted Attack of the Crab Monsters on Heritage.  It normally goes for $1500+. 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 06:38:55 PM »
Well, I can speak to dry-mounting a bit...

I bought a Niagara that was dry mounted for either $150 or $200 (I can't remember exactly now).  Regardless, this poster normally sells for $700-$1200 at auction so dry mounting clearly tanked its value.

I had it removed from the foam core, remounted properly to linen and then restored.  However, when removing it from the foam backing, it was apparently a giant pain in the ass and I lost a lot of paper, including some from the *front* of the poster (not just the back).  Also, just the removal from the foam core cost more than the linen-backing and restoration combined.

I think it turned out good, but if you look at the poster off-axis (even on the screen... tilt your screen and look from a low angle) you can see a lot of bright white spots throughout the poster.  Those are the places where the front of the poster was damaged and had to be touched up.

If it wasn't this valuable of a poster (or something like the Crab Monsters Mel posted) it would basically be more cost than it is worth.  So if you do decide to dry mount your posters, keep in mind you will be deliberately bringing their value to $0. 

I would strongly recommend against dry mounting.

My $0.02.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 07:53:12 PM »
The Niagara as hell is a lot more vivid and alive now that its been properly backed but I have to ask Harry - do you ever regret not just leaving it alone and enjoying as is (given the damage that occurred and expense involved)?
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »
Well, live and learn I guess.  I knew before I bought it that posters can (usually) be removed from foam core backing, but I had never experienced it myself so I didn't realize that the poster face could also be damaged.  Also, even though I bought it primarily as an investment, I really wanted to do the right thing and I thought having it removed, linenbacked and restored was indeed the right thing to do for the poster's longevity.

That said, I will probably never buy something that has been dry mounted again.  I didn't end up losing money on it, but its definitely not worth the hassle...