Author Topic: Gene Tierney  (Read 10056 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Gene Tierney
« on: November 18, 2018, 11:12:29 PM »
Remembering Gene Tierney on her birthday, November 19, 1920. I'm a couple of hours early, though wanted to start a thread so others can add images on her birthday if they want and share their favorite roles she played.  I'm partial to The Ghost and Mrs. Muir as that's the first time I saw her via TV classic movie night on PBS.  I was very happy to buy this 1940s English personality poster of Ms. Tierney in the EMP personality poster auction a couple of months back.  I've always loved the photo of her from which this poster is based, and did not know this poster existed until the auction.  Please share your Tierney images and favorite movies!  My best, Okie
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:53:07 PM by okiehawker »

Offline redman

• Collector
Re: Gene Tierney
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 06:41:05 PM »
i predict GT! funnily enough i thought the english one of hers was one of the nicest there but i will guess you are the lucky owner of the US one (just as great of course)
thumbup i was close, but glad i was wrong. super jealous ;D
no GT posters from me i'm afraid. my favourite film of hers is Heaven Can Wait, but theres quite a few of hers i've still to see. just remembered i saw a comedy of hers with henry fonda  recently - Rings On Her Fingers - and that was good

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 10:04:18 PM »
thumbup i was close, but glad i was wrong. super jealous ;D
no GT posters from me i'm afraid. my favourite film of hers is Heaven Can Wait, but theres quite a few of hers i've still to see. just remembered i saw a comedy of hers with henry fonda  recently - Rings On Her Fingers - and that was good

Hi Redman! Yes, you were hot on the correct trail!  Thanks for the advice on Rings on Her Fingers as I haven't seen it.  I just watched again after a very long time Leave Her to Heaven (wow, GT was very spooky as the really dark and obsessively destructive Ellen Berent).  Also, for the first time we watched GT and Tyrone Power in That Wonderful Urge.  There were some entertaining antics between the two actors.  Chill Wills shows up in both movies as well.   Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 10:09:07 PM »
Speaking of RINGS ON HER FINGERS, (And, Okie, be sure to check it out, its fun and funny), here's a US OS I picked up a few years ago for it.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 10:13:35 PM »
Nice Rings poster, Jeff! I like the nice large image of GT.  Looks like maybe "bracelet on the ankle" as well!  Okie

Offline Ba517401

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »
That Rings On Her Fingers is a stone litho, I think.  Great movie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 08:27:33 PM »
Speaking of RINGS ON HER FINGERS, (And, Okie, be sure to check it out, its fun and funny), here's a US OS I picked up a few years ago for it.

Hi Jeff, Ba votes stone litho on your Rings poster.  Can you confirm?  Thanks, Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 09:30:16 PM »
Yes..thumbs up on it being a stone litho.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 11:29:22 PM »
Yes..thumbs up on it being a stone litho.

Most excellent, Jeff!  Looking forward to seeing it in person perhaps one day?!  Okie

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 02:51:03 PM »
Remembering Gene Tierney on her birthday, November 19, 1920. I'm a couple of hours early, though wanted to start a thread so others can add images on her birthday if they want and share their favorite roles she played.  I'm partial to The Ghost and Mrs. Muir as that's the first time I saw her via TV classic movie night on PBS.  I was very happy to buy this 1940s English personality poster of Ms. Tierney in the EMP personality poster auction a couple of months back.  I've always loved the photo of her from which this poster is based, and did not know this poster existed until the auction.  Please share your Tierney images and favorite movies!  My best, Okie

I was so gonna buy this. But unfortunately I had other things to buy at the time.
Congrats. Nice to see a Gene thread. I have a huge collection of her stuff.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 09:40:04 PM »
I was so gonna buy this. But unfortunately I had other things to buy at the time.
Congrats. Nice to see a Gene thread. I have a huge collection of her stuff.

Hi Timeless!  I know I'm looking forward to seeing your Tierney goodies!  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 06:58:50 PM »
Just discovered this thread while taking a break from Christmas craziness.

I have very few Gene Tierney posters, prob a dozen or so.  My 2 favs are for Laura, which happened to be one of my favorite movies.  A 3sht and a French.  Both quite hard to find, or so I've been told.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 07:55:51 PM »
Both Lauras are great but the French one is off the scale gorgeous.

Mark

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 09:40:38 PM »
Like Mark, I like both of your Lauras, T!  I can see why Mark likes the French with the cool lighting, city scape, and melancholy colors.  Okie

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 09:40:43 AM »
That French Laura is super rare indeed.

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 02:40:57 AM »

Okie, a quick update on this poster. I found a UK campaign book for Ghost and Mrs Muir last week and took a look inside when it arrived and your poster is in there.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 07:23:10 PM »
Okie, a quick update on this poster. I found a UK campaign book for Ghost and Mrs Muir last week and took a look inside when it arrived and your poster is in there.
Wow, Timeless!  That is super exciting news!  Would you mind posting an image of that page?  I would sure appreciate seeing it.  I'd enjoy having the campaign book, if you happen to find another one or would want to sell yours one day.  Thanks for the great news!  Okie

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 09:04:31 AM »

^English trade advert. not seen a release poster so don't know if it is similar
i like how it mentions 'The Lubitsch Touch' - i've read Billy Wilder go on about this but never realised it was used in his lifetime

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 11:46:10 AM »

^English trade advert. not seen a release poster so don't know if it is similar
i like how it mentions 'The Lubitsch Touch' - i've read Billy Wilder go on about this but never realised it was used in his lifetime

Thank you for posting this trade ad, Redman! I had not seen it before.  I'm a big fan of Gene Tierney, though your post also reminded me of the mega-talented and versatile Don Ameche as well.  Several "golden touches" in that talent pool, eh?!  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 12:28:22 AM »

Hi Marc,  Resurrecting your find on the UK campaign book.  Would you do me a big favor and post the page that has the Gene Tierney personality poster?  I would really enjoy seeing it.  My very best, Okie

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 06:13:08 AM »
Hi Okie,

I'll see if I can get some pictures up of it in the next few days. I have a few other pieces I want to share as well (notably the French first release of Sundown) It's a beauty!

Best regards
Marc

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 10:17:44 PM »
Hi Okie,

I'll see if I can get some pictures up of it in the next few days. I have a few other pieces I want to share as well (notably the French first release of Sundown) It's a beauty!

Best regards
Marc

Hot dog!  Looking forward to it, Marc!  Okie

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 05:01:45 AM »
I don't have the same opinion on the large French poster for 'LAURA'.

I find it doesn't really represent the mood of the film. I don't recognize Gene Tierney at all on the 'Grinsson' artwork.
In addition, I have the impression looking at the illustration, of a submissive woman without character, nothing to do with the fact that the detective is captivated by the Laura's portrait...

So, in my opinion, this poster is certainly beautiful but too much smooth and not representing the film ...
On the American poster, we can see that Laura has character and that she 'dominates' men. That the detective is fascinated by Laura (and hatred from Vincent Price). We can feel it with these eyes contacts.

On the other hand, I like much more the other French poster, medium size, with the interogatory's scene. Here again I like this eyes contact where Laura is highlighted and she doesn't intimidated.

The most beautiful poster, in my opinion, is without context, the 6Sheet.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2021, 04:05:28 PM »
We're all different.  I personally do not like Contantin Belinsky's art on anything.  Out of more than 2,500 French affiches in my collection, I own only 3 Belinsky designs versus something like 150 Grinssons.  I had 2-3 opportunities to buy the affiche moyenne of Laura, and passed because high price and so-so design (imo of course) did not align.  I obviously only had one opportunity to buy the grande affiche since only 2 copies have surfaced so far.  I love it.  The colors are absolutely stunning.

Which takes me back to my opening: we're all different, and that what makes this hobby so interesting.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 01:35:51 PM »
Okie, how did TI miss this thread? Believe it or not, I've NEVER seen a Gene Tierney movie. I HAVE "Laura" on BluRay to watch...just have not gotten to it yet. Your fine collection makes me want to get to it sooner than later.  thumbsup.gif
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!