Author Topic: Cool story about lost Tarzan sequence from 1936's Tarzan Escapes!  (Read 4792 times)

Bruce

A few weeks ago I sold an original Czech poster to Tarzan Escapes to a collector, Ron Hall, who told me he had a very "special" interest in the movie.

He won the poster, and now he has revealed what that interest was, which is that it shows a large image of Tarzan fighting vampire bats! Unknown to me, the movie was actually filmed in 1935, and there is a major subplot involving Tarzan, pygmies, and vampire bats, basically making it a horror film! The studio hated the movie, and hired a new director to re-film it in 1936, and they junked all of the 1935 movie EXCEPT for the major vampire bat scene, and they made drastic changes to the plot (no apes, no Jane rescuing Tarzan at the end, etc)!.

The 1936 version opened, and mothers everywhere complained that the movie was too violent and scary for their kids. So in 1954, when the movie was re-released, they took out the vampire bat scene, and made some other cuts for violence.

But this is just a summary. You should read the collector's entire blog on this at http://caferoxy.blogspot.com/

And he is desperately searching for anyone who might have a print with the vampire bat scene, or have a lead on someone who does (apparently, no Tarzan collector alive has even seen that scene, except for the few who were alive in 1936! Also, the original 1935 version is also lost, except that there is a Big Little Book that shows 100 images from that movie, and they show how different it is from the 1936 version, and it would be great if someone could find the 1935 version!

Please read Ron's blog entry, and contact him if you have the slightest lead.

Dr Hackenbush

Re: Cool story about lost Tarzan sequence from 1936's Tarzan Escapes!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
Great blog and detective work by Mr. Hall  clap  I love reading stories about deleted scenes and missing/lost footage

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:31:32 AM »
Agreed, A very interesting story Bruce, I love this kind of thing.

One thing that gets me, the first couple of Weissmuller Tarzan's were quite violent any way. I don't think it would of been re-made just for that alone. It's more likely it was "silly" and they re-shot it?

I may have to dig deep myself on this one!
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:49:41 AM »
Paul

My take on what he wrote is that it was first re-made because the director botched it, and then the re-made movie was cut in 1954 for the re-release, and in the 1960s some bonehead at MGM managed to lose the uncut negative.

The main hope of finding the deleted scenes is in some non-U.S. archive, where so many great finds have been made over the years.

Bruce

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:06:42 AM »
Hello Bruce, Yes you are right. I have now read his article that you provided the link to, Very interesting. I have two versions of this film I must dig out and watch again. I do hope the guy finds the missing footage, it would be great to see.

I did read that there was a large amount of film found that, of all people Hitler had stashed away. He apparently had his own film library. These films were suppose to be on the way to the Library of congress, to be checked over. I don't suppose you know what happened to them?     
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 10:01:27 AM »
I never heard that story, but if true, it would surely be one of the oddest finds ever!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »
I seem to remember FJA running a still or two of the TARZAN vampire bats in Famous Monsters many years ago...sound familiar?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 03:57:05 PM »
Found this for sale on the web.. Italian Busta 18x25

Vampire Bat!!

Stew

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 04:22:53 PM »
Yeah, Stew. That's it...the photo I remember, in the swamp...
It would be great if they could restore that footage...