Author Topic: Could this be the first million dollar movie poster????  (Read 20191 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Could this be the first million dollar movie poster????
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2018, 01:11:19 PM »
And counting......

waiting1  pcorn

too bad they don't have a live thing like Heritage so we can watch the frenzy of bids come flooding in.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 01:40:33 PM »
I must say, if there ever will be a million dollar movie poster, the Mummy should surely be in the running.  That is a magnificent looking poster in perfect condition.  Only the Frankie 6 sheet and Metropolis compete with it in my eyes :)  Ok, maybe the Invisible Man one sheet as a close second...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 03:11:16 PM »
too bad they don't have a live thing like Heritage so we can watch the frenzy of bids come flooding in.

That would be fun to watch.... for whatever the outcome will or wont be.

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »
It looks like The Mummy poster is humbly sitting on the floor on some styrofoam pieces.  Couldn't they have at least found an extra copy of the Book of the Dead to set it upon?

Okie, to be fair, the Mummy OS was no longer on public display when I stopped by Sotheby's last weekend to take a look at it, so I had to pull some strings for them to get it out of storage, hence the rather inadequate presentation ;)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2018, 09:51:19 AM »
6 Days
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »
Okie, to be fair, the Mummy OS was no longer on public display when I stopped by Sotheby's last weekend to take a look at it, so I had to pull some strings for them to get it out of storage, hence the rather inadequate presentation ;)

I think I downloaded TF's MUMMY OS pics, one time, when it was on the bay. If I can find them, I will post them here, too.

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2018, 08:48:26 PM »
if you click here the estimate is 1 -1.5 million
https://www.sothebys.com/buy/8d77317d-24f4-42c3-9226-5dcb00b9ca26?locale=en

if you click further it is 1 - 1.15 M
https://www.sothebys.com/buy/8d77317d-24f4-42c3-9226-5dcb00b9ca26/lots/c69e7ab8-0905-4174-8255-0c3ca529107c

You'd think stuff like typos would have been caught by now (or never printed in the first place)

I am no longer confident these amateurs will turn this poster into a million + sale. :P

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2018, 10:45:43 PM »
is anyone aside from me registering to bid on this poster?

I've already spoken to Sotheby's about time payments and am waiting to find out of $1000.00 a month is an okay payment schedule...

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »
T-minus 24 hours --------  waiting1

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2018, 11:48:00 AM »
"The hills are alive, with the sound of chirping crickets..."

TF must be getting pressure to sell off a couple of his superhigh ticket items. If he was serious about moving some of them I would think he could just consign them to Heritage, Sotheby's, or whoever and let the chips fall where they may. The Mummy, A&C Meet Frankenstein 24 sheet, and Bela's Cape from A&C Meet Frankie would certainly come close to $1 million together, but as long as he has these overinflated reserves on his items, he'll be keeping them for a long time to come. Which is just exactly what he wants.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2018, 02:32:43 PM »
"The hills are alive, with the sound of chirping crickets..."

TF must be getting pressure to sell off a couple of his superhigh ticket items. If he was serious about moving some of them I would think he could just consign them to Heritage, Sotheby's, or whoever and let the chips fall where they may. The Mummy, A&C Meet Frankenstein 24 sheet, and Bela's Cape from A&C Meet Frankie would certainly come close to $1 million together, but as long as he has these overinflated reserves on his items, he'll be keeping them for a long time to come. Which is just exactly what he wants.

maybe the key issue here is..... that Todd doesn't need the money. Therefore he will only sell when it suits him and at a price he can't refuse

ergo, there is no pressure for him to do anything

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2018, 03:30:53 PM »
That's certainly possible. I know nothing about his financial situation so I can't speculate. I do know the overinflated prices he asks for will only keep any serious buyer(s) away, especially if there's no room for negotiation.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »
the poster will surely be sold privately whenever that day comes?
a buyer would have to be insane to pay $$$BP for something everybody says is overpriced
but to be considering paying one million dollars for a poster means you are already insane ???

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2018, 04:56:40 PM »
sorry, just seen reactivated thread which says previous high was Dracula OS sold by HA for over half million dollars? that makes hammer price of $400,000? anyway, i get it now, the bloke doesn't want to sell

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2018, 04:59:04 PM »
That's certainly possible. I know nothing about his financial situation so I can't speculate. I do know the overinflated prices he asks for will only keep any serious buyer(s) away, especially if there's no room for negotiation.

the poster will surely be sold privately whenever that day comes?
a buyer would have to be insane to pay $$$BP for something everybody says is overpriced
but to be considering paying one million dollars for a poster means you are already insane ???

these both can have the same answer: that all things are relative. Redman thinks someone who pays a million for a poster is insane, and they very well could be, but consider this, a single mother with 2 kids working a shit job for $8.35 an hour and trying to save $10 to buy her child a pair of cheap sneakers would surely think insane someone who spends $50 on a poster.

most collectors don't have $100 to spend on posters often, as a reality check.

so just put it into the perspective of the person who actually has the money. Eventually Todd may very well find that the people spending the big bucks for Casablanca posters are changing course & buying horror posters, at which point the poster will sell.

the person who spends the money won't even feel a speed bump in their checkbook

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2018, 12:30:35 PM »
If any movie poster is going to break records, the original OS for The Mummy is a good contender, as this stone litho is definitely the best of all the classic Universal horror paper.  I especially like that this particular copy is folded and has not been backed.  Curious to see what the results will be.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/videos/first-look-the-million-dollar-film-poster?locale=en

I watched the video of this guy talking about the poster, and his comment about how most posters from that era havent retained their color like the MUMMY poster has, is so incorrect. But he's saying it as a marketing ploy, so it makes sense. (The same goes with his other comment that because it was folded (as issued) and has stood the test of time, it somehow makes it more special than the countless other folded OS from the '20s and '30s that have survived, with also not being backed, just fine).  :-\

And I guess it didnt sell? The webpage only says that online bidding is now closed. But no hammer price.

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2018, 12:32:19 PM »
The Mummy, A&C Meet Frankenstein 24 sheet, and Bela's Cape from A&C Meet Frankie would certainly come close to $1 million together, but as long as he has these overinflated reserves on his items, he'll be keeping them for a long time to come. Which is just exactly what he wants.

Was wondering why you mentioned the A&C Meet Frank and Cape, but then researched and saw they will (not sell) at Bonhams.
There is a reason Heritage won't take an Abbott and Costello poster with a $150K reserve - they are in the business of selling items, not just giving Todd free publicity.

Looking forward to seeing the Mummy back on ebay soon.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2018, 10:24:14 PM »
Gray learned his lesson with the BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN advance. THE MUMMY is a fantastic 1-sheet, but is it realistically a $1 million poster? Incredibly expensive, yes but $1 million dollars worth of expensive? I still think the FRANKENSTEIN 6-sheet would take that crown.

Does Kirk Hammett have a BRIDE advance? If not, maybe he tried to deal with TF and couldn't get a fair deal from him. Which wouldn't surprise me in the least. TF's greed knows no bounds.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2018, 10:40:24 PM »
Gray learned his lesson with the BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN advance. THE MUMMY is a fantastic 1-sheet, but is it realistically a $1 million poster? Incredibly expensive, yes but $1 million dollars worth of expensive? I still think the FRANKENSTEIN 6-sheet would take that crown.

Does Kirk Hammett have a BRIDE advance?
If not, maybe he tried to deal with TF and couldn't get a fair deal from him. Which wouldn't surprise me in the least. TF's greed knows no bounds.

I think TF's copy is the only known OS, at this point.

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2018, 03:08:53 PM »
Just as expected. Todd must be smiling from ear to ear right now. "It's still mine! All mine!! Mine and nobody else's!!" Dunce.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2018, 03:25:35 PM »
Just as expected. Todd must be smiling from ear to ear right now. "It's still mine! All mine!! Mine and nobody else's!!" Dunce.

If it had actually sold, Todd would be worried he priced it too low.
If there is an actual buyer at Todd's asking price he is always thinking he left money on the table.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2018, 08:01:07 PM »
I don't know how much he paid for it but for argument's sake, let say he paid $50,000 for it. Whatever he gets for it above $50,000 is gravy. I'm not saying he would entertain a lowball offer for it but, come on Todd. Haven't you learned after all these years that your asking price is pie in the sky that only somebody with endlessly deep pockets and no sense or knowledge about this hobby would even consider? If Kirk Hammett, who's got the money didn't bite on the BRIDE advance, nobody will? Kirk is a died in the wool monsterkid who would probably love to add it to his collection. But he's got sense enough not to grossly overpay for a poster that, when the time comes to sell it, will lose money on it?

If the DRACULA 1-sheet with Lugosi's face didn't come close to breaking the $1 million dollar mark, why would the MUMMY 1-sheet?DRACULA was released 2 years earlier, which means posters made for it are harder to come by. Yes, any Universal horror from the 30's are extremely rare, but DRACULA should be tougher to come by simply because it was first. Plus, unlike the MUMMY, I believe the DRACULA 1-sheet is the only known copy?

Maybe Sotheby's needed the publicity and made sure it got maximum exposure in the press?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2018, 11:53:00 PM »
I don't know how much he paid for it but for argument's sake, let say he paid $50,000 for it. Whatever he gets for it above $50,000 is gravy.

I could very well be wrong but I was always under the impression HE bought the Mummy that sold for the former record price?
Chris

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2018, 10:07:53 AM »
I don't think so. I can be wrong about this too, but I thought he got most of his top dollar material from the Royal Theatre discovery.

There's no way TF would spend that kind of dough on a poster, but he sure as Hell will try to get that much for one, and more if he can. TF likes to pay pennies for material, then sell it for dollars, as in a 1 with two zeros in back of it.