Author Topic: A Godzilla Sized (pressbook) Error?  (Read 6530 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
A Godzilla Sized (pressbook) Error?
« on: August 26, 2018, 04:13:57 PM »
A popular movie poster auction site has an item currently available called a "Godzilla Review Pressbook" with the following description:  "Important Added Info: Note that this pressbook was produced during the continuous first release of this movie (probably within the first year). It references the great success it had at other theaters. There is an earlier version of this pressbook that has 6 pages and also does not show posters." 
(see here: http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5162333)

Compare that description and photo below with the two photos beneath it of the full fold out Pressbook as sold by Heritage here: https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/science-fiction/godzilla-trans-world-1956-uncut-pressbook-6-pages-11-x-1725-science-fiction/a/161703-53165.s?ic10=FeaturedPastSalePrices-ItemImageDesc-052317&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

While the current auction does not show the inside of the pressbook, my guess is that this is to avoid the question/embarrassment of having the tagline across it say "Of Acclaim for a Giant Entertainment" without the lead-in "A Tidal Wave" from the missing torn off cover.  Looking at the close-up  of the copy being offered now, it very clearly shows torn paper fibers all along the right hand edge of the photo, not a clean cut that you would see if manufactured this way.

I do agree it is very rare to find this cover 2/3 complete as it is being offered today, and just want to thank the person that emailed me with a question about it after seeing it offered asking me if I had this "rare variation".
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: A Godzilla Sized (pressbook) Error?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 11:56:13 PM »
No reason for EMP to "avoid" anything to my way of thinking, Crow.  100 percent money back guarantee and all.  Phil and Bruce have answered my questions easily and readily on any auction. It's one thing pointing out a possible error (regardless of how it is ultimately addressed) though, to me, you like to push towards libeling Bruce and his team with jabs at their intent.  I think the moderators should remove your talk of "intent" whenever it appears.  You have great knowledge, though to me at least, your delivery stinks of ego in a very bad way.

Okie

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 12:55:41 AM »
Loce also has a "100% money back guarantee and all", but I would not say the two sellers are equal.
Such a guarantee isn't an excuse to be a lazy seller, especially when you hold yourself out to be experts. The seller should never put the onus on the buyer.

Okie, you're an expert so you dont have these problems but obviously some buyers do.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 01:12:38 PM »
Loce also has a "100% money back guarantee and all", but I would not say the two sellers are equal.
Such a guarantee isn't an excuse to be a lazy seller, especially when you hold yourself out to be experts. The seller should never put the onus on the buyer.

Okie, you're an expert so you dont have these problems but obviously some buyers do.

This is not about discovering errors in a listing and raising that issue, Crow.  It's the implying "intent" of Bruce and his team to not be in good faith.  Those are the dangerous waters in which I think you tread.  Okie
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:31:21 PM by okiehawker »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »
well my last word on this will be - EMP certainly had the Intent to market this item as a complete pressbook.
In fact, their intent is noted by the Important Added Info in bold in the auction listing, where EMP goes out of their way to distinguish this item from a "different" pressbook that has 6 pages (in reality this one without the other cover page torn off).

Sorry, but that Important Added Info implies special knowledge that they are imparting to a prospective buyer about this specific item.
And they got it wrong, very wrong.

People who hold themselves out to be experts in a field, are subject to a higher standard of accountability. It would have taken but a minute to verify this item either with Bruce or an another expert, but they did not and I am calling them out on it.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline descposter

• Hobbyist
    • eMoviePoster,com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 08:29:52 PM »
This is Matt. Everyone who bid on the incomplete pressbook has been emailed that it was incomplete, and that it has been cancelled and will be re-auctioned properly identified.

The winning bidder had already paid, and he has been refunded, and the result was removed from our Auction History because we only include actual sales.

We do ask that anyone finding any error in our auctions (either during or after) email us with what it is, and we will correct it and offer a full refund to the buyer (if it is a closed auction), even if many years have passed.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,500 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,775,000 to date from over 2,800 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 09:39:57 PM »
This is Matt. Everyone who bid on the incomplete pressbook has been emailed that it was incomplete, and that it has been cancelled and will be re-auctioned properly identified.

The winning bidder had already paid, and he has been refunded, and the result was removed from our Auction History because we only include actual sales.

We do ask that anyone finding any error in our auctions (either during or after) email us with what it is, and we will correct it and offer a full refund to the buyer (if it is a closed auction), even if many years have passed.

Good news as usual, Matt!  I really appreciate your great poster condition descriptions!  Your 100% lifetime guarantee is great, too.  Mistakes happen now and we all learn from them.  Personalities being what they are and all and I don't know everyone's past issues, though, I hope you feel comfortable reaching out as needed to experts like Crowzilla even if we do rub each other the wrong way sometimes. I bet the founding fathers had some glorious disagreements, right? We agree on more than we disagree, eh?  Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 04:42:10 AM »
Worry not Matt.

I think the only person who chooses Not to email you first is Crow.  ...for reasons best known only to himself. eyeroll

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 08:10:14 AM »
I think the only person who chooses Not to email you first is Crow.

That would be incorrect.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 06:48:18 PM »
It's back!
And what a surprise - despite what Matt says above, the pressbook is NOT properly identified,  and is still incorrectly listed.
Another honest mistake on the relist, I'm sure.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5368042
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 02:53:39 PM »
Looks to have sold for $17 smackers.

-Jeff

Offline Movie Poster Exchange

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 01:34:52 PM »
"No reason for EMP to "avoid" anything to my way of thinking, Crow.  100 percent money back guarantee and all.  Phil and Bruce have answered my questions easily and readily on any auction. It's one thing pointing out a possible error (regardless of how it is ultimately addressed) though, to me, you like to push towards libeling Bruce and his team with jabs at their intent.  I think the moderators should remove your talk of "intent" whenever it appears.  You have great knowledge, though to me at least, your delivery stinks of ego in a very bad way.

Okie"

Wow. Your talk should removed Sean whenever it offends/casts any aspersions toward emp. Sign of the times.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 11:50:28 PM »
"No reason for EMP to "avoid" anything to my way of thinking, Crow.  100 percent money back guarantee and all.  Phil and Bruce have answered my questions easily and readily on any auction. It's one thing pointing out a possible error (regardless of how it is ultimately addressed) though, to me, you like to push towards libeling Bruce and his team with jabs at their intent.  I think the moderators should remove your talk of "intent" whenever it appears.  You have great knowledge, though to me at least, your delivery stinks of ego in a very bad way.

Okie"

Wow. Your talk should removed Sean whenever it offends/casts any aspersions toward emp. Sign of the times.

Were you lost at sea, MPE?  Wow, that was 10 months ago.  Anyway,  I really like the Mara Corday still I got from your auction awhile back while you were still adrift!  My best, Okie

Offline Movie Poster Exchange

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 01:21:46 PM »
Evidently! Glad you liked the still. Mara. Grrr.