Author Topic: Poster Exhibition in Northumbria, United Kingdom  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
Poster Exhibition in Northumbria, United Kingdom
« on: October 27, 2023, 09:38:02 AM »
For those in / planning to visit the north-east region of the UK, this might be of interest:

https://downthetubes.net/video-shop-horrors-poster-exhibition-opens-soon-at-northumbria-university/

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: Poster Exhibition in Northumbria, United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 09:55:36 AM »
Sounds fun!  Hopefully someone on this forum can attend and report.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 12:09:02 AM »
Did anyone on APF go?  Would be cool to hear about it.  Okie

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 04:13:58 AM »
I went - I used to work at Northumbria until recently! They have a very active research group on horror and cult movies, and the exhibition was based on a recent book about the video industry in the UK in the 80s:
https://edinburghuniversitypress.com/book-rewind-replay.html

It was a fun exhibition that recreated an 80s video store, though it did not focus on theatrical posters. The posters on the walls were mostly reproductions but there were a few original quads in frames. There were shelves of video tapes, players and even a desk where you could presumably "rent" a video. On one wall were screens playing different examples of "video nasties" from the era. The exhibition was in the regular gallery on university campus, so they had a warning sign about graphic images on the outside!

I have a bunch of pictures but I have forgotten how to post images in forums since Photobucket disappeared...

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 04:19:52 AM »
I went - I used to work at Northumbria until recently! They have a very active research group on horror and cult movies, and the exhibition was based on a recent book about the video industry in the UK in the 80s:

It was a fun exhibition that recreated an 80s video store, though it did not focus on theatrical posters. The posters on the walls were mostly reproductions but there were a few original quads in frames. There were shelves of video tapes, players and even a desk where you could presumably "rent" a video. On one wall were screens playing different examples of "video nasties" from the era. The exhibition was in the regular gallery on university campus, so they had a warning sign about graphic images on the outside!

I have a bunch of pictures but I have forgotten how to post images in forums since Photobucket disappeared...

That sounds good fun.

To add images to a post, you can click the blue PASTEIMAGE button in the screenshot below, then select the image from your computer, choose the size and upload.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 09:37:21 PM »
Thanks for the report, Rumble.  Would be cool to see your pictures. Okie