Author Topic: New grading company launched  (Read 12305 times)

Dr Hackenbush

New grading company launched
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
For those of you following the lots as they're added to HA's Sig auction, you'll see reference to Movie Poster Grading in at least one of the descriptions.  There's no encapsulation involved, just an invisible mark (with a specific code) on the front and, for heavy card stock paper, a paper thin 1"x 3" tag with an encrypted microchip.  Thoughts?

tstatum

Re: New grading company launched
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:59:25 PM »
How can they in good conscious put a permanent mark on a poster that can be damaged the second it leaves their hands. 

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:20:15 PM »
I agree, the grade is only good till it leaves their hands. That will work fine for the auction scenario, but then how in the hell can you offer the same poster at that grade down the road. Each time a poster goes into the mail system there is a chance it will get a little nick here or there.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:40:35 PM »
"MPgrading.com was established to authenticate, grade, register and fingerprint every known poster whether being sold at auction or held in a private collection. " ....  Well they are not going to do that are they!

The only way you will know the authenticity of the grading is if you have the poster analysed by them to cross check the DNA on the tag (which may have been swapped) and on the poster's hidden DNA location. Reading their website, they do not offer this DNA verification service. I wonder what that price would be if the service was available?

Just say all is well after verifying the DNA, would the condition report be accurate to the current poster condition? No, it would only be accurate at the time it was graded, not a minute or year or years later during which damage may have occured.

If it all worked as claimed, it would only be useful as a historical record or log book if you will, of the damage that had been noted sometime in the past.

Not sure if you need to buy multiple tags for multi-sheet posters. Looks like authenticating my 24-sheet will cost the same as my daybill.

If the DNA was put on my poster, would it still be there after it gets linen backed? Well, you would need to pay to have it reauthenticated again anyway as is now on linen.

I would not be mesmerised by the computer grading system. Are you happy with the formula used for the grading? Is 'count and measure' useful? It sounds simplistic. Regardless, will 2 posters with the same grade be equally desirable? I am not sure. Does the formula differential between paper loss in or out of the image area for example?

I can't see it being useful - you can't authenticate it via DNA analysis. If you could, could you take it away for authentication before purchase? - unlikely. If you authenticated it after purchase and it failed authentication would the seller refund you?

Would you buy from a company that offers 1 in 33 trillion accuracy when they can't spell?

When they do the grading, a high res image of your poster is then made available to paid members. Is this ok with you?

Would you be happy to add $10 - $75 to the poster price for this service? They offer more graders for the higher $ value of your poster. That leads to 2 questions: 1.) do they assess the value of you poster? No, they dont mention that they do. Do they take your word for how much you paid for it, doubt it. Sounds dodgy. Why do they need more graders for the higher value posters eg over $2000? Are they saying some of their graders have lesser skills than others?

So many steps to get money from you, it looks like the only ones to benifit would be the company with very little for the customer... likely little more than a false sense of security.

I can't see it being of use to me unless I pay to sign up as a member, believe an item advertised is authentic and see a condition report of how it was once upon a time.

Am I sounding cynical?  ;)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:12:28 PM by 50s »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:11:57 PM »
Many interesting points. I read this earlier today on MoPo and was wondering a few such things myself. It seemed to me to be only useful in authenticating a hard-to-find bad boy that I could never afford anyway.
But, I do like the attempt to account and catalog those extreme rarities.
It will be interesting to see where it goes.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 11:14:43 PM »
Ok, just read over at mopo now. I have more questions:

"-A random microscopic fiber sampling from both the front and back of the poster or lobby card can be done at the customers request for $30." Cool I can have a spec of fibre picked out for $30. No mention of what I can then do with it. No suggestions thanx. How do they guarantee it is random? Must be another computer program involved

< hey, I am getting older and more cynical, please humour me, and I have time...  ;) >

Will the DNA stain placed on the front of the poster leave a mark over time?

The web site states the DNA on the poster in located "in a secret location on the poster" Todd Spoor on mopo advises it is placed "is placed on the bottom corner of the poster". Well, it is not really secret now is it?

The website I think misleadingly talks about "DNA laced ink" and "DNA sequence" One could believe there is actual organic DNA in there. From Todd Spoors comments on mopo it is a "9 digit" code. Is it DNA or a microdot type thing?

The tag is affixed to the back of card stock posters and for paper stock posters (eg 1,3,6 sheets) attached to the seperate grading certificate ... The only way as I mentioned to confirm that the tag on the certificate is for a poster is to have a DNA analyse done which their site mentions no way to do this and even if you could, would it be at a reasonable cost and would it be practical around the time of purchasing?

Re the benefit of knowing how many posters are in existance because they have every poster in existance authenticated and catalogued in their system. Nice goal, but it aint going to happen is it - I mean, good luck and I hope the service actually does prove to be invaluable. There are other sources that will be a better guide for this information for a very long time to come.

TS comments: "This tag CANNOT be removed from the poster with out it going blank, therefore it CANNOT be placed on a fake". I would like to know how this technically happens. Is part of the tag permanently attached to the poster and when the tag removed the connection is broken? Maybe glue related. Has it some special properties for this functionality which may harm the poster?

Gord... time flies... Got some posters of my own to now unpack and grade and authenticate...

Well, this should provide some fodder for more thoughts anyways...  

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 07:52:05 AM by 50s »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 11:20:02 PM »
Anyone know who is actually running this upstart?  Is it someone well known and accepted as an authority/expert on authenticating/grading posters?
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 11:40:35 PM »
 puke2
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 12:00:57 AM »
Looks like Holiday had a big Friday night.

Kewl, my posters are authentic, grading, probably a 2.5 and a 7.875

Todd Spoor says: "I have been working on this technology for the last year and half with the help of Rob Borst, Todd Feiertag and most recently Dan Strebin". The site doesn't actually mention if the above people are playing any further role in it. Maybe, but can't really tell. Sounds like it may be run by Todd Spoor: mopo quote "One of my initial reasons for creating this service"... Maybe only just set it up? The site says the team comprises an IT person, a photographer and an admin person. I wonder if the experts you pay for a $75 assessment on a $2000 poster are 3 of the above named?

According to their T's & C's I need to add here: "Copyright © 2010 MPgrading.com. All rights reserved." for the screen grab in my earlier post, so hopefully this should suffice.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:40:09 AM by 50s »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 12:11:38 AM »
Looks like Holiday had a big Friday night.

OH YEAH BABY!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 05:36:51 AM »
I have real doubts about the grading system. Here is a quote from the website:

"Now, through the patent pending computer grading system, no matter who  grades a poster, whether they are an expert or a complete novice, if they can count and measure, the grade will always be the same."

I am sure a novice can't spot flaws of an experience dealer/restorer. I spent a lot of time with my poster restorer learning about restoration and spotting flaws. At the beginning, I was dumbfounded when I would bring to my restorer my latest prized poster acquisitions to show them off, only to be pointed out they were fakes/heaving sprayed/sections replaced/etc - I couldn't see these flaws even when right in front of my face. With experience I now can spot the smallest alterations down to tiny sneaky spray droplets under the lupe. It is not only seeing this but knowing what to look for. The restorer told me I'd now be (beside him) the next most skilled in spotting restoration in the country (Australia). Well I'm sure it is not the case, but fun to think it possible!!! Well, the point is, that if the grading system is so simple that even a complete novice can do, I have little faith in the grading system. "Count and measure" does not consider any restoration.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:09:03 AM by 50s »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 07:47:48 AM »
The more I think about MPgrading.com (I'm sure you don't want me to think about it anymore  ;) ) it is just doomed to failure and is all just show... Possibly with the best of intensions but launching now, too early not fully thought out. If I have 40 concerns that aren't addressed by the company, everyone is surely likely to at least have a few...

The micro chipped tag:
There is no point of having a micro chip in the tag. It can only be there for hype to wow you. The tag can only be read by the companies scanner and the company already has the information in their database. The tag also has an id and DNA. All that is needed is the id, and maybe the DNA if in fact their id is not tamperproof. . Spin, spin spin spin. Dont fall for the patent pending microchip baloney.

Their quotes:
"All of the information about each unique poster including country of origin, year of issue, director, studio release, stars and unique identifying marks such as creases, tears, stains, pinholes and any other unique flaws are compiled in our database.This information is housed in the patent pending microchip"...

"This tag CANNOT be removed from the poster with out it going blank"

"The invisible ink code is used on the tag"

"a patent pending acid free, paper thin, 1"x 3" tag with an encrypted microchip"

"This microchip contains all of the pertinent information about that poster and can only be read by our handheld scanner."

Curious... in what circumstance would this statement come in handy? : "This DNA sequence is so secure it is admissible in a court of law. " Well, organic DNA found at a crime scene might implicate someone, but how would it in this case??? Wouldn't it only implement the company for leaving a DNA stain on my poster?(!) ;)

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »
Anyone know who is actually running this upstart?  Is it someone well known and accepted as an authority/expert on authenticating/grading posters?

MY guess would be that Feiertag is involved as a poster from his collection was the first to bear the "graded by Movie Poster Grading" in the auction description

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 05:01:30 PM »
i hope whoever buys that poster does not linenback it

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 05:41:12 PM »
I would do terrible things...no, make that unspeakable things...for that BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN teaser.
But the tag wouldn't mean squat...my DNA would be all over that poster...damn...

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »
Awesome poster. Yes, with this system there is likely to be DNA cross contamination and thus would be thrown out in the court of law ;)

Back onto my never ending babble...

Is the DNA stain permanent? It needs to be or else the whole concept falls apart. The DNA is key to tracking a poster over its life and providing a count of the rarity of such posters in their database. So if it is permanent, are you happy about this. Say the system turns out to be deeply flawed ;) , the stain is still permanently there.

Do you believe the DNA stain is invisible and will never be found? The DNA may be invisible but what about the stain... can the stain be identified by its shininess or show up on a uv light or other such method, will it appear over time with aging of the stain or poster? Todd said the DNA stain is in the lower border. I assume this is to appease people that the image area is not damaged. So say it is small and in the border, if it can be seen in some way then this piece of the border can be removed or covered. That would be a small price to pay for someone with reasons to get around the system. Spray/paint over the DNA to cover it. Possibly even a transparent paint/coating over the DNA may prevent the reader reading it... Does the DNA wipe off with a damp cloth - the website doesnt mention its durability or permanancy. Don't let the technolgical selling points fool you! We are talking swiss cheese here - full of holes!

It seemed to me to be only useful in authenticating a hard-to-find bad boy that I could never afford anyway.

Say you have a one of a kind poster, get it autheticated and stained. Remove the DNA eg by respraying part of the border in all innocence to remove a flaw (say, a shiny spot that is now discoloring for example ;) ), then it gets sold, the new buyer authenticates it. There are now 2 posters in existance indicated by the database when in fact there is only one.

As posters age they likely will end up on linen. The rigours of linen backing process likely would remove the DNA stain. So the history link with the individual poster will be lost, and when reauthenticated, the database will be swollen with double the amount of actual posters, lots of nice ones listed but everyone holding the crappy restored ones.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:25:49 PM by 50s »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 11:05:33 PM »
MY guess would be that Feiertag is involved as a poster from his collection was the first to bear the "graded by Movie Poster Grading" in the auction description

Oh wow - I had no idea that poster would EVER actually be for sale/auction (the eBay propaganda listing aside)...amazing...
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 09:21:05 PM »
Following the link to the Heritage auction page, the page says:
"The poster has been graded by Movie Poster Grading and the Certificate of Authenticity and Grading Document is included. From the collection of Todd Feiertag."

I believe the idea of this authentication service is to allow people (eg potential buyers) to check a posters authenticity - checking the 9 digit code on the tag and lookup the website database to confirm the authenticity. How can online bidders check this as the tag ID number is not shown in the auction listing? Can people view the certificate and tag if they are at Heritage in person? The database isn't even available for people to lookup and check authenticity yet.

I dont believe such a tag exists as I am yet to see one (Todd Feiertag or Todd Spoor, please show in closeup detail the microchipped tag eg possibly the one used for this Frankenstein auction, or on any other authenticated poster). In fact I dont think anything exists apart from a basic looking website with typos and no database, tags, images of the technologies used eg DNA or certificates showing. I am suspicious the mpgrading.com website is simply a front to plump up the value of the Frankenstein poster... with Todd Feiertag name being integrally involved with both the poster and mpgrading.com company. Are there other posters in the auction using this authentication that are not owned by stakeholders in the authentication business?   

Sounds like a conflict of interest a Todd Freiertag poster being authenticated by Todd Freiertag. Does this all smell fishy to you?!!! Does anybody care? Nup, dont think so. Am I wearing out my finger on the keyboard, yep. I watched Danger Diabolik last night, possibly the first movie I have seen in the past 12 months. A bit odd, a bit like James Bond and bit Barbarella, was ok.   

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »
Sounds like a conflict of interest a Todd Freiertag poster being authenticated by Todd Freiertag.   

I can vouch for that authentication. Todd is definitely Todd and I have seen him in person.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 09:38:29 PM »
Does anybody care? Nup, dont think so. Am I wearing out my finger on the keyboard, yep. I watched Danger Diabolik last night, possibly the first movie I have seen in the past 12 months. A bit odd, a bit like James Bond and bit Barbarella, was ok.   

You bring up some good points that have got me thinking.
I was hoping someone from the grading company was reading this thread and was going to explain more in detail....

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 10:18:42 PM »
This makes no sense to me at all. How the hell can you guarantee the grade of a poster once it enters the mail stream. Authenticity fine, the whole DNA crap, whatever, just honestly looks like some guys trying to CGC the poster world and make a buck. Hopefully I am wrong and this brings something good to the hobby, but at this point, makes no sense to me.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 10:50:23 PM »
Personally, Id hate to see posters go down the same line as Comics, stamps, coins, banknotes, cards etc etc.
Although I do see it so much more nowadays with the popularity of modern posters, condition obsession and the feeling of "investment" seems to be growing every year.
For me, as a collector, condition doesn't play much of an important role, if its in one piece, art intact, I am happy - I mainly only collect older stuff though, and can see why new posters are more desirable in better shape (the glossy paper =can look ugly when damaged).
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 08:00:43 AM »
I summarised my thoughts and posted on Mopo.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 10:05:10 PM »
Yes, Steve summarized his thoughts and posted to MoPo in what I believe was a very candid and spirited Q&A between him and Movie Poster Grading's Todd Spoor.  Steve was echoing many sentiments heard from other collectors and Todd was very gracious in his explanations.

For those of you who are not MoPo members, Todd and Steve both agreed that we could re-post this Q&A here at APF because it is for the good of the hobby, a feeling we ALL share....

Here it is Part 1, verbatim:

"Hello Todd,
A few questions/comments I have (extracted from my posts in All Poster Forum):

1.) "MPgrading.com was established to authenticate, grade, register and fingerprint every known poster whether being sold at auction or held in a private collection. " This reason for establishing mpgrading is likely not achievable is it? Thus the database being a good guide advising how many known copies there are will not really be particularily useful. Do you think mpgrading.com will really authenticate more than 1% of all posters in existence?
2.) The 'DNA' is not organic genetic DNA. The DNA is actually a very small object with a nine digit code written on it, something like a microdot.
3.) Can the DNA numbers be read under a high powered microscope?
4.) I believe describing the DNA in these terms is misleading: DNA, DNA sequence - most people would think you were refering to genetic DNA
5.) The website does not mention a DNA verification service to authenticate the poster's DNA. Do you offer this service and how much is it? Does it cost the same to read the DNA on every panel of my 24 sheet as my daybill? DNA verification is fundamental to match the poster with the history in the database, since the tag with the id number on it is not attached to most posters (eg 1,3,6 sheets) but attached to the grading sheet. If I cant authenticate the poster, what use is the service?
6.) If I can authenticate the DNA, will it be practical to do so? Can I authenticate it prior to purchasing on ebay or a bricks and mortar dealer? Not likely as I would need to pick it up and take it to the company. If I authenticate it after the sale will the seller refund me if it is not correct? Yes the dealer must, but in reality...?
7.) As mentioned by others, the grading is only accurate at the time of grading, not a minute later or more. Thus the grading system is only useful as a historical record/log book if you will, of the posters condition.
8.) My $39 24 sheet costs the same to authenticate, grade, tag and DNA as my $39 daybill. Odd?
9.) Does my 24-sheet get DNA on all the sheets or just on one sheet?
10.) Do you store my 24 sheet as one photo in the database or as multiple photos?
11.) You offer 1 in 33 trillion accuracy but you have a page on the website titled 'Registeration'. Typos on other pages.
12.) When I get my poster authenticated, a high resolution image of my poster is available to any paid member. Can I opt to have this image not available for public viewing? What image size is the image available to the public - 21 megapixels?
13.) Will my grading certificate list the authenticators name?
14.) Will a dealer for example be expected to not only stock/manage the poster but also both the Grading Document and Certificate of Authenticity (which has the tag attached)? How will the dealer not muddle up the certificates between multiple copies of the same poster they have as there is no identifier on the poster to cross reference except invisible stain? (paper posters not card stock posters with the tag on back). 2 days ago I received a poster from a dealer which was completely different poster to what I ordered. What hope is there with the certificates?
15.) "A random microscopic fiber sampling from both the front and back of the poster or lobby card can be done at the customers request for $30." What will I do with this particle - what is it good for? How do you ensure it is a random fibre (a computer program will assist with hundreds of hours of testing?)
16.) Will the DNA stain leave a mark over time? - How long did the test last?
17.) Is the DNA stain permanent? It needs to be or else the whole concept falls apart. The DNA is key to tracking a poster over its life and providing a count of the rarity of such posters in the database. So if it is permanent, are people happy about this. Say the mpgrading system turns out to be flawed, the stain is still permanently there.
18.) You mentioned "I have been working on this technology for the last year and half with the help of Rob Borst, Todd Feiertag and most recently Dan Strebin". Will these people play any further role in the business and what role will they have? Are they the 3 authenticators?
19.) The website states the team comprises an IT person, a photographer and an admin person. Are there no other people in the team?
20.) The sites says authentication charge is based on the value of the poster. How is this value determined? Do I tell you what I paid for it? Do I send you images in advance for you to determine the value for you then to provide a quote? Do you first grade it, look up price guides and then advise me what what I have to pay afterwards?
21.) Website quote: "Now, through the patent pending computer grading system, no matter who  grades a poster, whether they are an expert or a complete novice, if they can count and measure, the grade will always be the same." How can a novice identify restoration such as respraying and paper replacement? It can smack a novice in the face and they couldn't spot it. A novice can't grade a poster accurately by just using count and measure.
22.) Does the grading process distinguish between damage to the border area and damage within the image area?
23.) There is no purpose for the patent pending micro chipped tag, only to sound fancy. Website: "This microchip contains all of the pertinent information about that poster and can only be read by our handheld scanner." If it can only be read by the company scanner and the company already has the information in the database, what is the point of reading it. The scanner only needs to read the id number on the tag to identify it.
24.) If the tag is tamperproof, why does the tag need to have DNA on it? Being tamperproof, the id number on the tag is tamperproof.
25.) In what circumstance would this statement come in handy? : website:"This DNA sequence is so secure it is admissible in a court of law. ". Organic DNA found at a crime scene might implicate someone, but how would it in this case?
26.) From the website: "The invisible ink code is used on the tag AND in a secret location on the poster." Tou stated it is located in the bottom corner and in the border and can be seen using uv light. That is not so secret?!
27.) The DNA can be easily obscured. So say the DNA is small and we know it is in the border and it can be seen under uv light, then this piece of the border can be removed or covered. That would be a small price to pay for someone with reasons to get around the system. Spray/paint over the DNA to cover it. Possibly even a transparent paint/coating over the DNA may prevent the reader reading it.
28.) The rigours of the linen backing process will remove the DNA? If so, the poster loses its history. You may still have the certificate but no DNA on the poster to confirm it against.
29.) Can the DNA be removed? if so, the DNA could be transferred to another poster, say using a cotton bud and a solvent.
30.) What kind of testing has been done to ensure not one solvent can remove some DNA? The website does not mention the DNA stain's durability or permanancy or guarantee it.
31.) Database corruption. Say you have a one of a kind poster, get it autheticated and stained. Remove the DNA eg by respraying part of the border in all innocence to remove a flaw (say, a DNA stain that is now discoloring for example, then it gets sold, the new buyer authenticates it. There are now 2 posters in existance indicated by the database when in fact there is only one. You would also get 2 posters in the database if the poster gets linen backed washing of the stain between authentications
32.) Conflict of interest - Todd Freiertag being involved in the authentication of his Frankenstein poster up for sale?
33.) How can one authenticate the grading of the Frankenstein poster on Heritage? Or any poster graded by mpgrading.com? There is no photo of the tag or ID number to look up the mpgrading database. There is in fact currently no database to lookup on mpgrading.com.
34.) Is the timing of the Frankenstein poster auction and launch of the company related? Is this company setup to add additional credibility to auction? Will the company be around after there are no more posters left to be sold by stakeholders in the company? <Cynical me>
35.) Where are images of the tag for us to see? I have doubts one exists because where is one?
36.) Your comments: "This tag CANNOT be removed from the poster with out it going blank, therefore it CANNOT be placed on a fake". I would like to know how this technically happens. Is part of the tag permanently attached to the poster and when the tag removed the connection is broken? Maybe glue related - has the glue some special properties for this functionality which may harm the poster ie it wouldnt just be acid free wheat paste.
37.) Apart from the microchip serving no purpose, "the microchip tag that CAN NOT be decoded". How are you so sure it cant be decoded. Your machine can decode it.

Thats all the questions I have at the moment,
Cheers,
Steve Enders"

and, Todd responded:

"Wow, where to begin...

I guess I will have to address each line although I will not bore the group with items I have already addressed in previous posts.

1. It is a "goal," plain and simple. I have no idea what percentage we will eventually grade and tag in the years to come, hopefully enough so that a census or registry becomes significant so that new people coming into the hobby will find it relevant.
2. The DNA is organic, hence the term, Deoxyribonucleic acid: here is the definition for anyone who fell asleep in Biology class. (DNA) is a nucleic acid that contains the genetic instructions used in the development and functioning of all known living organisms. This is the corner stone of what we are doing. Our invisible ink stain contains organic DNA, the 9 digit number (laced with DNA) is OUR reference code so that we can track every poster that comes through and it isn't confused with 50 posters of the same title, Example; 900000001, 900000002 and so on.
3. The DNA can be  read and tested to make sure it is the DNA that has been licensed to our company. We are partnered with the same DNA company that has been used by the Olympics, NFL, Hockey Hall of Fame and many leading Sports Memorabilia Authenticating Companies.
4. Described above. We are referring to GENETIC DNA
5. There is no cost to the customer to check one of our DNA laced items for the first 5 items in question. We do not lace every panel of a 24 sheet. Thanks for pointing that out, we need to add that to the website, We are NOT currently offering 24 sheets in our service. Any poster we grade and Authenticate can referenced by the 9 digit invisible ink stain.
6. yes, it can be sent to us to be re-authenticated or it can be brought to one of our Authorized dealers who will have a High Frequency UV light reader. Or the poster can be compared to the high resolution 21 megapixel picture on our website which will be the easiest to use as a visual marker.
7. EVERY movie poster grader from Heritage to Bruce to Christies, the grades are only good while on the premises since NO ONE wants to encapsulate a poster. This system at least represents a better visual marker with the High Res image and the Grading Flaw scale that can be used a reference. As posted before...
8. It is odd... Size doesn't matter, the number of people looking at the poster is the extra charge. Not that odd actually. 1 grader/authenticator cost X amount in salary. 3 graders/authenticators cost 3 times more. (Adrian, that line is for you.) $75 for 3 leading people in the Industry to spend their time looking at poster is incredibly cheap in my estimation. Which is why CGC charges $1,500. John Davis of Poster Mountain charges $150 for his Authentication service and he is leaving a very VISIBLE mark on the back of the poster.
9. No
10. All poster are stored as one Image.
11. Thanks for pointing out the typo. You had a typo in line 4. "referring has two  (r's) not one"
12. We are NOT charging for membership to view images.
13. No the Authenticator's name is not listed for the public. It is internal when they log into the system we can see who has looked at what poster. If this is something the public deems important, we will look into it. Is it important to you?
14. Dealers can order the hand held UV indicator so that posters of the same title are NOT confused, again a secondary check can be the High Res image. Certificates are passed on from the dealer to the customer. Certificate contains the DNA stain as well.
15. The fiber sample is not for the customer. The fiber sample is used to test the paper. If you really want the fiber sample, we can send it back to you.
16. The DNA invisible ink stain will NOT leave a mark over time. It has been tested out to 15 years so far. Will the Great Pyramid ever crumble into dust? Who knows, but I'm sure people will have an opinion on this, Adrian???
17. Yes it is permanent, but it is INVISIBLE to the human eye!!!!! Are you HAPPY there are microscopic germs in you mouth right now? Do they bother you?
18. Please read the website. They are Graders and Authenticators.
19. Are you interested in a job? I fail to see why this has any importance unless you are with the IRS or Immigration.
20. Good question, the value is based off the Fair Market Value. We run an average off of Heritage and eMoviePoster. Are we going to quibble over whether the item's value is $500 or $501, the answer is no. We will defer to the lower value. We are not here to screw old Mr. Retiree out of his $10-$75 so he can get his poster evaluated by us.
21. Not to be taken literally, a novice is NOT grading the poster, which is why we have Industry Experts doing it who have spent more time around valuable movie poster than almost anyone on the planet.
22. yes, border damage and image area damage have different weights assigned to them.

Half way there, I will continue later with the rest of the answers when I have another 2 hours to devote.

Two question answered out of order.
32. Todd Feiertag was NOT involved in the grading of his own poster. There was a room full of people that can attest to this.
33. We will be launching the site officially to the general public along with search features Nov 1st.
34. Yes, we plan on closing our doors as soon as the Frankenstien is sold. (this is a joke) I just love sinking my (and my wife's and 2 children's) live savings into this technology so that Todd Feiertag can sell HIS poster.

By the way, some of my answers were for pure amusement ( I know this is boring some people to death) and in no way are attacks on Steve or Adrian's friendly round of questioning. Just my dry sense of humor. I have thick skin or I wouldn't have placed my neck on the MOPO chopping block. :)

I will try to make our website MORE clear so that these questions are answered. Without this forum what would Steve have to do with his day in order to ask 37 questions!!! Nice job Steve, also, remind me to talk to you FIRST if I ever start another business!

Warm Regards,
Todd Spoor"

[

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 10:08:46 PM »
and, here is Part 2:

"Hi Todd,

Thank you for your fast response. I honestly do hope the project is a success; else I wouldn’t have been interested in commenting on it.

I am sure you will take on board the advice given, not specifically by myself, to improve things.

Re Jims comments re shooting holes in it, I would like to think that such feedback is invaluable and welcomed. Constructive criticism should be welcomed. I know it is not fun for holes to be found when one thinks it is polished. When I build software systems for example, the testing process is there to effectively ‘shooting holes in it’. It won’t go to market until this has been done thoroughly. You understand this because you have put over 1000 hours alone into the testing of MP GradePRO. Testing of the overall business concept should have had sufficient time dedicated before going to market and my 2 hours now shouldn’t be blowing it apart.

I suggest using the questions everybody raises here and incorporating answers to these in some format into the website. An FAQ could be ideal. If some have questions, there surely will be others out there with the same questions.

Let me respond to the personally barb:

“Without this forum what would Steve have to do with his day in order to ask 37 questions!!!”

With all due respect, your company is seeking my money (well maybe not mine now ;) ) to authenticate every one of my posters for me at an average of about $30 each. This comes to an awful lot of money and warrants some analysis of the business/service. The time I spent on writing the email is insignificant when compared to the time I spend managing my posters, from looking for poster purchases to managing the poster website... Is your business not worth my effort? It is after all up and running, not just a concept.

Answers feedback

I won’t follow up on all the responses as others here may do, if they are so inclined. However I’ll follow up on just the key one that I feel most need clarification.

DNA

DNA is really key to the authentication. It is the only way to identify a paper poster as all it has on it is the DNA identifying it.

1.)    Quote: “the 9 digit number (laced with DNA)”. I can’t picture what this is. Obviously the technology exists, do you have a web link you could explain it? So, there is in the stain something invisible with a 9 digit number on it, and that thing is laced with invisible DNA. So there are 2 security mechanisms within the stain. Why do you need DNA if you have an invisible number in there also? Possibly you mean the 9 digit code is stored within the organic DNA genetic sequence. A link would really help clarify this as it is not explained on your site. I doubt such a technology exists on such a low cost commercial scale.

2.)    The ‘UV light reader’ that authorised dealers have, must be a very special piece of equipment if it can read numbers inside a genetic code. I feel you might me pulling my leg or maybe don’t quite understand the technology (very likely the latter). I obviously don’t understand the technology so I would love to see a link to the technology.

I’ll probably not follow up further, to allow others your time… Would be good for the link though  ;)

Thanks,
Steve"

and finally, from Todd:

"Steve, believe me, I took your questions to heart and it was not a barb or jab at you, I was truly AMAZED there would be 37 questions from one person, that's all, and I found that astonishing. No personal affront. As I said, just my sense of humor. I am an ex school teacher and am use to taking criticism! So please continue to as ask questions and I will do my best to answer them. It's funny, when I put this together it seemed so clear, so it IS interesting that it is not. And no, 2 hours spent answering questions is not blowing anything apart. I actually thought there would be more questions.

The Invisible ink we are using is laced with organic genetic DNA. We are just stamping a 9 digit reference number unique to that poster using this ink. The 9 digits are the reference code to that particular poster making it different from any other poster as Adrian was concerned about. Don't get hung up on this reference code. We could have used 5 numbers or 7 letters or whatever, as long as each poster has a different sequence. The security is that the ink is laced with DNA therefore someone can not stamp a poster with some other invisible ink and say it's ours. The DNA will prove what was stamped by us and what wasn't... All 9 digits combined total about about a 3/4" of an inch long and 3/16" tall. As soon as we figure out a way to photograph this, I will add it to the site.

Example: Star Wars Style A might be reference # 900000001, A second Star Wars Style A that we receive might be #900000421, A third Star Was style A that we get in might be #908057501, and so on. Now each Star Wars Style A poster that we grade is UNIQUE! This is how we are creating a Census or some call it a Registry. The number is the identifier for that particular poster and it is laced with DNA to make sure that the number CAN NOT be faked. Hopefully this Census will become relevant in years to come and we can not only get a sense of what is out there but it is a way to track the prices as they rise or fall. Helping a buyer make an informed decisions is a good thing if you want them as a repeat customer.

Again, I really do hope that better explains it. If you are having trouble I am sure there are other that are having the same issue. So I do want it clear for everyone to understand and will make the appropriate changes on the website.

Lastly, I will say as I step off my soap box. This site and this idea was created to help this hobby grow. It is the only reason I have invested so much time and money into it. I am positive that NO ONE wants to see the value of their posters diminish and the only way to keep the value of something going in the right direction is by creating demand for it. Most every dealer I have spoken to has said that their sales are down, the values of their posters are down and as Tom so eloquently pointed out, there aren't a whole lot of new people out there getting excited about movie posters. If this can bring in even a few new people to the hobby because they feel secure that what they are buying is A. Authenticate. B. Graded in an Unbiased manner. C. Can be given a unique fingerprint to distinguish it from every other title out there, it just might bring some extra value in their minds.

Regards,

Todd"

Some really interesting points were made by Steve.  Todd answered his questions like the concerned professional he is. Todd expressed interest in signing on to APF and I have a feeling both he and Steve will be adding to this thread.
Maybe the rest of the MPGrading experts will come aboard soon and contribute their thoughts and concerns about grading and other aspects of this hobby.  We all share the same thing in common...we all LOVE movie posters in any shape, size or language.