Common Poster Subjects > Research & Collecting Tools

How to Grade Vintage Posters

(1/3) > >>

Harry Caul:

So you have a vintage poster and don’t know where to start?
Do not panic, you are not alone!

Please see this link for the complete article: http://marqueeposter.com/how-to-grade-vintage-posters/

I was fed up with the multitude of grading systems used by various dealers and auction houses -- especially when Jon Warren took the time to make a standardized grading system for movie posters way back in 1985!  Of course, if you've used them you know his grades are very wordy and you pretty much need to be an expert before you can accurately grade even a single poster. I took Jon's criteria and changed the layout from a grade-centric approach to a flaw-centric approach. It is now possible to trace a particular flaw (e.g. corner crease) over a range of grades depending on the severity.  Just make a list of your flaws, check the grade associated with each, tally them up and boom -- done!  This means collectors and non-collectors alike can quickly and accurately grade nearly any vintage poster in only minutes.

TERMINATOR UK QUAD EXAMPLE

Now simply start with your worst flaws and start looking them up on the scale:

I estimate a total of (5) flaws rated at C7-or-higher:

* slight ink loss on folds –> C8 = “slight, some ink loss ok”
* corner crease in upper right –> C7 = “4 or less (3″ max)”
* slight mis-fold along left edge –> C7 = “slight, ink loss ok”
* minor handling/surface wear –> C7 = “minor”
* slight foxing on verso –> C8 = “slight, must be described”
For a C7 grade, you get a maximum of 8 flaws (3rd row in the PDF).  So in this case, the grade is simply C7 -- EASY & DONE!

Below is a high resolution, printable PDF of the newly revised grading scale.  Please enjoy with my compliments!

jayn_j:
why is # of allowable defects greater for C8-C9 than for C8?
Is # of staple holes the number of pairs?  staple holes come in pairs.

Harry Caul:
Because the severity/description of the flaws change between C8-C9 and C8. 

CSM:
Nice work Matt!

I must admit using the "quick eye test" I would have graded the quad at a C8-9 probably but it becomes clear how it could be considered a C7 using the chart.

crowzilla:
It would be so much easier if everyone adapted the 1-10 scale.
Numbers are consistent and mean something, words not so much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version