Author Topic: Bad enough to make you cry  (Read 5687 times)

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
Bad enough to make you cry
« on: April 13, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »
In the mid 80's I had a customer that wanted a complete run of STAR WARS, EMPIRE, JEDI, & RAIDERS 1-sheets. This man had money and wanted these posters bad. He wanted to have them framed and up on his walls. So after some time and much effort I was able to secure copies of the SW advance sheets, the birthday 1-sheet, basically all the expensive heavy hitters. He asks my advise on how to frame all this expensive paper and I tell him about avoiding direct sunlight, UV light, etc. and I specifically tell him whatever he does, do not, DO NOT mount them on foamcore. I carefully explain that floating them unbacked is fine, but don't let the framer mount them directly onto the board. I explain that by drymounting them he will destroy the value of these posters. He nods his head and says yes, I understand.
I don't see him for another 5 years until I run into him at a convention. I ask him how the posters are looking in frames and he responds "Oh, yeah. You found me some great posters! They look terrific! I had them drymounted!" I gently ask if the framer permanently stuck the posters to the backing. He says "Yeah. My frame guy said it's the only way to keep them looking nice in the frame. It's ok though, one day I'll put them up on ebay and let all the Star Wars freaks fight over them!".
Moral of the story - stupidity knows no bounds.   Doh.gif crying

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Bad enough to make you cry
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 12:41:17 PM »
In the mid 80's I had a customer that wanted a complete run of STAR WARS, EMPIRE, JEDI, & RAIDERS 1-sheets. This man had money and wanted these posters bad. He wanted to have them framed and up on his walls. So after some time and much effort I was able to secure copies of the SW advance sheets, the birthday 1-sheet, basically all the expensive heavy hitters. He asks my advise on how to frame all this expensive paper and I tell him about avoiding direct sunlight, UV light, etc. and I specifically tell him whatever he does, do not, DO NOT mount them on foamcore. I carefully explain that floating them unbacked is fine, but don't let the framer mount them directly onto the board. I explain that by drymounting them he will destroy the value of these posters. He nods his head and says yes, I understand.
I don't see him for another 5 years until I run into him at a convention. I ask him how the posters are looking in frames and he responds "Oh, yeah. You found me some great posters! They look terrific! I had them drymounted!" I gently ask if the framer permanently stuck the posters to the backing. He says "Yeah. My frame guy said it's the only way to keep them looking nice in the frame. It's ok though, one day I'll put them up on ebay and let all the Star Wars freaks fight over them!".
Moral of the story - stupidity knows no bounds.   Doh.gif crying

One thing's for sure: there wont be too much fighting from true SW poster collectors, once they read the little detail that both posters have been dry mounted to foam core.  uhno cheers

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 01:36:52 PM »
You can say that again. He drymounted ALL of them on foamcore. I estimate he lost, or will lose about $5000. on his investment. What's worse is I told him repeatedly NOT to mount them because he will be throwing his money away.
The SW mylar advance, silver ink advance, Birthday 1-sheet, 1st pressing regular 1-sheet, all 3 Empire 1-sheets, 3 Jedi 1-sheets including the Revenge advance, Raiders and British Indy Temple of Doom 1-sheets, all ruined. It makes me sick.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:33:17 AM »
Ouch!

Even knowing little about this genre, this sounds awful.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »
Good God...what a waste!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 04:06:09 PM »
You can say that again. He drymounted ALL of them on foamcore. I estimate he lost, or will lose about $5000. on his investment. What's worse is I told him repeatedly NOT to mount them because he will be throwing his money away.
The SW mylar advance, silver ink advance, Birthday 1-sheet, 1st pressing regular 1-sheet, all 3 Empire 1-sheets, 3 Jedi 1-sheets including the Revenge advance, Raiders and British Indy Temple of Doom 1-sheets, all ruined. It makes me sick.

They will look nice on some kid's dorm room, at some point in time.

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 08:09:41 PM »
. I estimate he lost, or will lose about $5000. on his investment.

He should lose a lot more than that, unless he really overpaid.
You could pick all those up in the mid-80s through MCW very reasonably. Even the Mylar and Revenge rarely topped  $500 from aggressive dealers around that time
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 01:12:19 PM »
I got all of them for him at slightly below retail prices back in the mid 80's. I was damn lucky to find the first 2 STAR WARS advances at not unreasonable prices and in very nice condition. I've lost touch with him and have no idea if he still has them but if he does or did put them up for sale somewhere, he's in for a rude awakening.

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 12:50:08 AM »
Good God...what a waste!

Exactly what I was thinking