Author Topic: A HUGE Congrats to HA & Grey  (Read 5804 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
A HUGE Congrats to HA & Grey
« on: April 09, 2018, 01:08:12 PM »
HA did some amazing business, once again this weekend, during their April 2018 Movie Poster Signature Auction. clap clap clap

Total Sales Realized Over the 2 Day Auction:   $1,932,067.00        notworthy.gif

Congrats to Grey Smith & Co.

The high item was the Casablanca French 2P that sold for $143,400.00

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/academy-award-winner/casablanca-warner-brothers-1947-first-post-war-french-release-double-grande-63-x-90-artwork-attributed-to-herve-morv/a/7178-86154.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:43:42 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: A HUGE Congrats to HA & Grey
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 03:50:48 PM »
HA did some amazing business, once again this weekend, during their April 2018 Movie Poster Signature Auction. clap clap clap

Total Sales Realized Over the 2 Day Auction:   $1,932,067.00        notworthy.gif

Congrats to Grey Smith & Co.

That's a nice number for Grey, but then again, HA had some outstanding items.  Wish I had a larger budget.

BTW, congrats to everyone on their wins.  Some really outstanding paper there.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:13:55 PM »
How does this number compare to previous sales?  I wonder if Grey is happy or was expecting more.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:05:58 PM »
The Prices Realized for HA's November 18-19, 2017 Movie Posters Signature Auction:

$2,843,783.00

This auction also included the DRACULA OS that sold for $525,800.00 alone.

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/dracula-universal-1931-one-sheet-27-x-41-style-a/a/7167-86267.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#auction-info
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:40:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
And last summer... in HA's July 2017 Sig Auction, the results were:

$2,806,935.00

And this auction included the CASABLANCA Italian 4F that went for $478,000.00

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/academy-award-winners/casablanca-warner-brothers-1946-first-post-war-release-italian-4-fogli-555-x-7825-luigi-martinati-artwork/a/7162-86354.s

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »
And one year ago, in March of 2017, HA had this movie poster Sig Auction result:

$2,335,674.00

This auction included The Invisible Man teaser as the high seller, going for $274,850.00

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/the-invisible-man-universal-1933-one-sheet-27-x-41-style-a-teaser-karoly-grosz-art-total-2-items-/a/7156-86187.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:44:40 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 06:44:30 PM »
Still, it’s way down, which was a little bit of my feeling throughout the auction.  Maybe my stock market theory :). I know it made me think twice about a few posters.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 07:39:26 PM »
but isn't it a bit of apples and oranges unless you show a similar mix of items at this auction.
My gut says this one was about equal to previous ones, but I didn't do any analysis of top results.
-Jay-

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »
The Laurel and Hardy material did well compared to previous offerings...a few pieces sold for more comparatively!

https://movieposters.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Ns=Price%7c1&N=54+790+231+4294949381&Ntt=laurel&ic4=SortBy-071515
Tait

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 12:16:28 AM »
but isn't it a bit of apples and oranges unless you show a similar mix of items at this auction.
My gut says this one was about equal to previous ones, but I didn't do any analysis of top results.

Totally agree.

In the Dracula auction, the top four items combined to sell for $1,271,480 meaning everything else brought in $1,572,303

In the Casablanca auction, the top ten lots combined grossed $1,252,360 so the rest combined brought $1,554,575

In the Invisible Man auction the top ten went for $835,305, the rest bringing $1,500,369

In the current auction the top ten brought $404,268, so the rest still brought $1,527,799

Outside of the top ten, these numbers are all remarkably consistent. To me that speaks to the overall health of the market that they could sell 900 items for $1.5 million (in the middle of this meltdown as T would put it).

It's easy to say that because only one poster sold for over $100,000 this auction (a price that Bruce has never achieved even with his millions of sales) that the sky is falling, but Heritage's current auction showed strength across pretty much all genres.
The first public $100,000 poster sale happened 25 years ago (A Frankenstein one-sheet), since then just over 40 pieces have reported being sold for that or more - and Heritage sold 25% of them in the past year and a remarkable 34 of them overall.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 12:46:21 AM »
Two things here:

1) I guess I'm the only collector who didn't bid as much as he wanted to because of the markets.  Fair enough.  I'm an anomaly and I accept that.
2) Why does Bruce have to be constantly brought up negatively in your posts, Crowzilla?  It's seriously getting old, dude.  Can't you just give it a rest?

T
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 12:48:29 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 01:37:37 AM »
1)...1)  I'm an anomaly and I accept that.
Well you are the only investor I know who is negative since January 1 of last year, so yes, you are an anomaly.

2) Why does Bruce have to be constantly brought up negatively in your posts, Crowzilla?  It's seriously getting old, dude.  Can't you just give it a rest?

Because you have selective memory? It was only a few days ago I was saying what a great place EMP is to buy posters.
But if it will make you happy, I'll say that Profiles has never sold a $100,000 poster, oh wait - they did not long ago...
Ok, Sotheby's has never...crud, they have also. How about Christies, no never mind.

Hmm, ok, in the future please read the sentence as: "Almost every major poster auction house has sold six figure posters, it's not that big a deal, but Heritage's current auction showed strength across pretty much all genres."
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 02:07:28 AM »
Why don't you try, just for a month, one little month, not to mention Bruce or Emovie in a negative way.  Wanna try?  I don't have any rewards for you (I don't think we collect the same stuff), but it could be a fun experiment.  If anything, you can say you did it and brag about it.  Fun, fun, fun!!!

Ready, set... GO!!

T
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 02:15:00 AM »
There's been many months where I haven't said anything negative about him, and I'm actually way ahead of you with my current "go Bruce" post (not to mention you are turning this HA thread into a Bruce thread).

But I will say that if Bruce doesn't sell any reprint posters as originals and doesn't credit an autograph to the wrong person in the next 30 days, I won't mention him at all.  As always the ball is in his court.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 02:20:42 AM »
I think there might be a strong chance that you're actually be in love with the guy.  This kind of hatred can only come from true love. 

Shit, I just confessed that I'm secretly in love with Trump.

Alright, carry on.

T
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 02:32:38 AM »
I think there might be a strong chance that you're actually be in love with the guy.  This kind of hatred can only come from true love. 

Hatred? LOL I've been friends with Bruce for years. I think somewhere on here is a pic of us talking at Cinevent a few years back (must be at least 4 years, as last year was the first I've gone since the twins were born).
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
Friends, huh?  I wouldn’t have guessed since he named you as one of the reasons why he doesn’t want to post on APF anymore.  It’s good to have friends.

T
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:04:05 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
So to recap:

Awesome job Grey in selling nearly Two Million Dollars worth of posters over the weekend.

Even though bidders shied away in droves because of a terrible downturn in the market, you were still able to land impressive prices in many areas:
multiple Bond quads topping $20K, Harry Potter for nearly $18K, a backed Creature From the Black Lagoon at almost $24K, a 60s locandina for over $14K, etc. etc.

Simply amazing
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 05:30:18 PM »
Much, much better.  I appreciate the effort.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 09:07:01 PM »
Much, much better.  I appreciate the effort.

T

Thanks T, and thanks for the repost Crow! I like the more "C'mon get happy" tone!  Feels a lot more like a poster love celebration!  I guess I'm getting too corny in my old age, eh!?  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2018, 12:37:05 PM »
With this kind of number under their belt, it's easy to see why HA is where it is, in the poster-auction biz. clap clap

"As the leader in auctioning vintage movie posters in the world, with over $100 Million sold, more than all other competitors combined, Heritage is always seeking quality consignments of vintage movie, advertising, travel, and propaganda posters for our Signature and Weekly auctions."

-Jeff