Author Topic: MoviePosterCollectors.guide Authentications  (Read 4022 times)

guest4955

MoviePosterCollectors.guide Authentications
« on: June 03, 2017, 12:14:32 AM »
Perhaps the best thing I did in Collecting Round 1 was investigating, writing, and publishing these 46 authentications on MPC.com.

MPC.com's competitor MoviePosterAuthenticating.com was fine but its authentications were very "texty" and the pics were tiny. Even back in 2012 it had not added new authentications in years - and still hasn't - and lacked essential authentications:

So I made mine very visual and kept text to a minimum:

Jeannie (head of MPA) and Ed Poole (head of learnaboutmovieposters.com) openly derided me as a "rank amateur"" but I believed getting the known info out there in an easily-understandable format was the right path.

Eventually MPC.com became a "rock star" on Google Search, the #1 result for searches like "pulp fiction lucky strikes" and thereby helped many MPC collectors.

Unfortunately due to illness and hobby burn-out, I neglected to pay the hosting fees and a squatter bought the MPC.com domain in 2016.

Now in Collecting Round 2 I've upgraded and republished the site as MoviePosterCollectors.guide. Here is the link to the Authentication section:

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/Authentications.html

Please check the authentications out and provide constructive feedback!

To rebuild the Google rankings, I would greatly appreciate if you would list a link to it on your site, blog, or Facebook page.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: MoviePosterCollectors.guide Authentications
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 12:27:18 AM »
Please don't badmouth my good friend Jeannie, one of the very few people in the hobby I actually enjoy and look forward to hanging out with. 

The reason MPC went down the toilet is because Jeannie got out of the poster hobby entirely and has now become a huge wine aficionado.  You should see her collection!!!  She also is a reputed doctor who most recently was the lead physician for the Superbowl pre-concerts.  So you can understand why MPC is not her first priority.

Here she is at my house in February and at the concerts shortly after.  Looking good as always.

This said, yes, your authentication site is/was awesome.

T
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:29:35 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:59:43 AM »
Jeannie's awesome! ... One of the original authenticators, with the help of her fine contributors. clap clap
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:05:20 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:06:33 AM »
Please don't badmouth my good friend Jeannie, one of the very few people in the hobby I actually enjoy and look forward to hanging out with. 

But she bragged about seeing Star Wars Attack of the Clones 20 times and how Hayden Christensen was the most beautiful man/best actor in history!

guest4955

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 09:56:18 AM »
No wonder T is such pals with Jeannie. They share, er, "questionable" obsessions with certain stars, ha-ha!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »
Now that's funny.  Although the joke ran its course years ago.  Is it part of round 2?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
I fail to see why different authentication sites are viewed by you as 'competitors'

did either site make retail sales?

was there a game announced where one was going to be crowned King or Queen?

pretty silly Mel.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 06:05:45 PM »
Per Jeannie (who doesn't want to participate in the hobby since she's out)

"When did authentication and authentication sites become a “competition”?   Those who think they can do it or do it better, then do it rather than hype themselves or be all talk."

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »
But I will agree that her love for Hayden Christensen and Episode 1-3 was absurd.  She's still getting shit from me on the topic.  She even said it in front of one of the main Star Wars visual effect architects, which made me take a few steps back.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
Per Jeannie (who doesn't want to participate in the hobby since she's out)

"When did authentication and authentication sites become a “competition”?   Those who think they can do it or do it better, then do it rather than hype themselves or be all talk."

T

good old Jeannie!
 Likey.jpg

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

guest4955

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 11:11:25 PM »
I like and respect Jeannie, we just have/had totally different approaches to authentications.

I originally tried to contribute an authentication to MPA, but Jeannie rejected it as not meeting MPA's scholarly standards. Rather than argue with her, I just built my own website with easy-to-understand, visually-rich authentications.

Whether MPA/MPC are competitors is debatable. I included image links on MPC to most of MPA's authentications:

MPA never reciprocated:

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 11:28:42 PM »
something for music lovers

-------

guest4955

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 11:33:30 PM »
something for music lovers

This means WAR!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 11:45:56 PM »
I'll happily fight Angelique Pettijohn from that episode.
I should find the pictures I have of she & I. Yes, those bazongas really are the bazongas they appear to be, especially when you see every fleshy inch of them.....

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 03:56:36 AM »
I'll happily fight Angelique Pettijohn from that episode.
I should find the pictures I have of she & I. Yes, those bazongas really are the bazongas they appear to be, especially when you see every fleshy inch of them.....

Oh, that's such a shame, you could look but not touch

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »

Oh, that's such a shame, you could look but not touch

oh that's a shame.. you don't know what happened..

>:D

-------

guest4955

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 04:53:01 AM »
But I will agree that her love for Hayden Christensen and Episode 1-3 was absurd.  She's still getting shit from me on the topic.  She even said it in front of one of the main Star Wars visual effect architects, which made me take a few steps back.

T

Send these images from EMP to her to remind her of the perfection of Christensen:

guest4955

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 08:00:01 AM »
Pesky reminder, please link to MPC.guide from your website, forums, FB, wherever so more will learn about it, like this chap:

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/Authentications.html

Spent 45 mins perusing my pal TL's eBay 20K listings:

- He's adopted a high-price dealer's pricing scheme, most everything is several real times FMV

- The listings are a big phat mess, most listed in the wrong decade, tiny pics

- BC of the small pics, not easy to spot repros

- Still some neg feedback, although eBay will delete them if TL refunds:

- Astonishingly he no longer sells SW bootlegs, used to sell oodles of 'em:

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 05:36:49 PM »
No authentication website can be competitive with one another unless they're profiting from it in some way.
Plus, dissing someone else's authentications is incredibly bad practice.

Some serious legal advice too, Mel (whether you take it is up to you): Unless you own MPC.com, don't discuss it like you once owned it (which I don't think you ever have as the history of that domain goes back to 1993) because if the owners happen to stumble across its usage in this way they may go after you. My mate is a domain dealer and has, well, A LOT, and he has seen people sued for this sort of thing.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 06:12:47 PM »
removed comment
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:14:47 PM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!