Author Topic: HOw to authenticate 1930s movie posters  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
HOw to authenticate 1930s movie posters
« on: March 27, 2018, 02:42:15 PM »
Hello everyone. Ive only been in this game for a year or so but Ive started to make some money, mostly being lucky and working hard. Cause I see know i made a lot of mistakes that I had to learn from.

Anyhow I am starting to get a feel for what will sell. Im learning the different print techniques, my loupe will be here in a few days and I am set to travel around to some different auctions...

there's a 1930s era poster i have my eye on at an auction. Ive only seen the pics so what are some good basics to know at this point? Really my question is; what should i see under 10x or 20x with my loupe?

Ive learned the difference between BenDay dots and halftones from experience with WW I posters for instance. What should I look for?

Thanks.

Incidentallly while this is my first post, you may have already seen some pics I took. Last year a local guy was selling an "original" king kong poster. After discussing this on reddit forum a helpful user volunteered to post the pics on this forum, and I learned a lot. that was very helpful.

Lots of really unscrupulous people in this business.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: HOw to authenticate 1930s movie posters
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
 welcome1 to the forum, Sunday Silence!

And have fun and enjoy. What pics of KONG are you speaking of that are posted here? Any idea what thread or post they are in?

And it sounds like the poster you are looking at is offset printing? And not a stone litho.

-Jeff

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »
the poster is Charge of the Light Brigade, this would be an example of it:

https://www.movieposter.com/q/Charge+of+the+Light+Brigade_posters.html

last poster in the third row; ie. the very last poster of the 11 shown there.

And again I have not seen it in person, what size do I look for? Is there a reference place to go to to figure such things out?

thanks.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 03:12:15 PM »
If a legit poster from that era.. it should measure 27x41 inches. If smaller, it's likely an undersized repro.

But the one you linked to is also an Australian one sheet poster, not a US one sheet (in case that mattered to you).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:16:24 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »
on the Kong thing, I am not sure. the information was relayed to me because when I went to your site I couldnt log in or create an account. Namely because i was directed by way of a link and not to the home page. At the link I couldnt log in and I finally just gave up trying and someone relayed the info to me.

now if I had gone to the home page i would have seen immediately the issue with registrations and then figure it out. WHich is what happend to today, in fact. I was thinking "you know there was this guy who sent my info to this really cool poster forum. Which I cant think of.."

So I google king kong and reddit and found my original thread on reddit, which indicated the allposter site. And that is how i came into being...

I'll try to figure out the poster for you. You may recall it had numerous rips in it and it was pasted to cardboard. In fact on the opposite side of it was a poster for Barefoot in the Park (both of these were the large 6 panel type posters); which gives it away. the poster was re issue in late 50s which corresponds to Barefoot in the park which was a little later.

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 03:17:42 PM »
thanks for the tip on size...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 03:17:51 PM »
the poster is Charge of the Light Brigade, this would be an example of it:

https://www.movieposter.com/q/Charge+of+the+Light+Brigade_posters.html

last poster in the third row; ie. the very last poster of the 11 shown there.

And again I have not seen it in person, what size do I look for? Is there a reference place to go to to figure such things out?

thanks.

Australian poster you linked to. In that case, the aussie version looks to measure 27x40

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/action/the-charge-of-the-light-brigade-warner-brothers-1936-australian-one-sheet-27-x-40-michael-curtiz-directs-one-of-the/a/660-28522.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Link to the US one sheets previously sold/auctioned:

https://movieposters.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=54+790+231&Ntk=SI_Titles&Nty=1&Ntt=charge+of+the+light+brigade+one+sheet+1936&limitTo=all&ic4=KeywordSearch-A-K-071316

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:34:27 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 03:21:10 PM »
on the Kong thing, I am not sure. the information was relayed to me because when I went to your site I couldnt log in or create an account. Namely because i was directed by way of a link and not to the home page. At the link I couldnt log in and I finally just gave up trying and someone relayed the info to me.

now if I had gone to the home page i would have seen immediately the issue with registrations and then figure it out. WHich is what happend to today, in fact. I was thinking "you know there was this guy who sent my info to this really cool poster forum. Which I cant think of.."

So I google king kong and reddit and found my original thread on reddit, which indicated the allposter site. And that is how i came into being...

I'll try to figure out the poster for you. You may recall it had numerous rips in it and it was pasted to cardboard. In fact on the opposite side of it was a poster for Barefoot in the Park (both of these were the large 6 panel type posters); which gives it away. the poster was re issue in late 50s which corresponds to Barefoot in the park which was a little later.

As far as registering and the process, this thread can be seen by any and all guests and explains what to do to get signed up:  thumbsup.gif

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2487.0.html

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:26:01 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 03:33:56 PM »
I am sorry I didnt know that was Aussie. Presumably it is from the US it has the basic layout of that poster you see there.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 03:36:10 PM »
I am sorry I didnt know that was Aussie. Presumably it is from the US it has the basic layout of that poster you see there.

The large red circle with the "Not Suitable for General Exhibition" is the Australian stamp.

-Jeff

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
"As far as registering and the process, this thread can be seen by any and all guests ..

I realize that now. the problem is that I was sent by google search to a thread. And the only button there was one that said "Register" I didnt have the benefit of seeing a help thread because i was lost someplace in the middle of this forum and there was no help thread in site. i guess just trying to point a possible problem for new visitors of the site...but you prolly already know that. sorry about the bots..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 03:46:53 PM »
Most guests visit the main, home page first and will see the First topic/thread is "How To Join."

You were guided to a thread initially, so that caused your problem, until you opted to also view the main index. Glad you found it and joined!  :D

-Jeff

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »
Here it is the original June 2017 King Kong post and hilarious discussion.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,12149.0.html

and yes that poster is still sitting in this guys wharehouse. I saw it in the background of a photo just the other day.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 04:36:33 PM »
the Charge of the Light Brigade poster shown on https://www.movieposter.com/q/Charge+of+the+Light+Brigade_posters.html at the last of 11 posters is a reprinted art print poster (Giclee). Not an authentic 1930s movie poster

that one sheet (an authentic one) would cost $800 at the low end and I'm sure if I had a copy in stock, I'd have to be asking twice that.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------