Author Topic: Fu Manchu  (Read 2352 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Fu Manchu
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:59:56 PM »
Hi Guys and Gals, let's see your Fu Manchu movie paper!  Here's my contribution.  Once I bought two of the same poster from 1929 that were part of a group found rolled up in a barn in Wisconsin.  The posters were from a traveling tent movie theatre that had moved around the countryside back then. The tent theatre proprietor would display one poster for the movie that was showing on each side of the tent entrance.  Thus, two posters from the same show sometimes were in the roll of posters.  I like to imagine that when two posters show up on the market at the same time, their origin has a similar romantic story behind them.  I still have one of these posters. So, what were those two posters I acquired that came out of that barn find?  Answer: The Mysterious Dr. Fu Manchu!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Fu Manchu
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:10:32 PM »
That's great!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 09:11:58 PM »
Great poster, okie!

Is this from 1929? What incredible condition, too.

And is this a kind of teaser? With no credits on the bottom, it makes me think it could be a type like that.

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 09:12:45 PM »
What a gorgeous poster, Okie!
I haven't seen this film in several years and now, I want to see it again!!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 09:20:19 PM »
Great poster, okie!

Is this from 1929? What incredible condition, too.

And is this a kind of teaser? With no credits on the bottom, it makes me think it could be a type like that.

Yep, Jeff, 1929.  It's unbacked and unrestored.  Not sure on teaser. This is one of the full bleed Paramount posters from that time.  It has information in very small print in the bottom left and right that is probably hard to see in the photo.  On the bottom left it says "1B Silent 2952 - "Country Of Origin U.S.A.". On the right hand bottom it says "This Poster Leased From Paramount Famous Lasky Corp. 43520". Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 11:43:00 PM »
Thanks for that additional "fine print" info, okie. I looked online and found another style OS that has the director's name at the bottom.

Good stuff all the way around!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:58:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 11:58:27 PM »
What a gorgeous poster, Okie!
I haven't seen this film in several years and now, I want to see it again!!
It's so early on the sound version that sometimes the actors don't move too far from the microphone.