Author Topic: Marler Haley  (Read 27758 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Marler Haley
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2018, 03:15:16 PM »
A few more sets...  Better pictures later.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline peckinpah

• Hobbyist
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2018, 04:25:11 AM »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
Took a better picture of my Alien set, the way it would have been displayed.  About to get the Aliens set.  More pix later.

T
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:13:15 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2018, 03:29:36 PM »
I thought that one poster said "Junior Boner" at first...
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2018, 07:53:31 PM »
I thought that one poster said "Junior Boner" at first...

;D

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »
Took a better picture of my Alien set, the way it would have been displayed.  About to get the Aliens set.  More pix later.

T

Aliens Set... Crikey, you don't hang about...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2018, 03:14:03 PM »
Trying to agree on price.  I’m cheap :)
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2018, 05:56:28 PM »
I was going to buy it without seeing it because I trust the seller and it is an Aliens Marler Haley set, but he finally sent me some pictures and I realized that I already owned it, not once but twice.  I originally thought I owned some DCs and a review quad, but it is actually the MH set.

:(

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2018, 06:26:32 PM »
You have such a complete and updated data base and website.  thumbup

How didn't you know/realize you already had 2 sets in your collection?  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2018, 06:37:22 PM »
I knew I had 2 sets.  I bought them.  I didn't know they were Marler sets.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2018, 07:08:59 PM »
I don't think that review Quad is part of the MH set...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2018, 07:17:49 PM »
I knew I had 2 sets.  I bought them.  I didn't know they were Marler sets.

T

What did you think they were?

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »
What did you think they were?

I was going to buy it without seeing it because I trust the seller and it is an Aliens Marler Haley set, but he finally sent me some pictures and I realized that I already owned it, not once but twice.  I originally thought I owned some DCs and a review quad, but it is actually the MH set.
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2018, 08:48:39 AM »
I don't think that review Quad is part of the MH set...

Nor me.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2018, 11:14:11 AM »
I didn't either, but the guy (different guy than the Alien set btw) is adamant about it.  He said he saw it like that in 86.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2018, 12:31:08 PM »
I'll do a bit of checking on that T, but I'm positive it's not the Quad from the set...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2018, 01:25:21 PM »
Please do.  The guy has a big collection of Marlers and seems pretty knowledgeable on the matter.  Unlike the other fellow who was trying to sell me his Alien advance for a lot of money, this one seems like the real deal.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2018, 07:11:24 PM »
I'll do a bit of checking on that T, but I'm positive it's not the Quad from the set...

Do you think the DCs are MHs, Paul?  I thought they were just regular DCs.  And why do British collectors come up with drastically different opinions?  Who is right?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2018, 01:23:10 PM »
I'm tempted to say just regular DC's for the film, can't find any quad that would go with them as yet, plus the fact they all have the Aliens title on, which a MH set wouldn't.

Problem is with UK stuff, it's very tricky to know it all, so too many people make up what they don't know, which sometimes gets copied by others, and is totally wrong to start with.

I only know a handful of UK collectors who's word I would trust.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2018, 01:26:28 PM »
No "experts" in the UK  laugh1

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2018, 01:57:50 PM »
Please do.  The guy has a big collection of Marlers and seems pretty knowledgeable on the matter.  Unlike the other fellow who was trying to sell me his Alien advance for a lot of money, this one seems like the real deal.

T

Would this added knowledge qualify him as an "expert?"  ;D

-Jeff

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2018, 01:59:26 PM »
Interesting point Paul about not having the Aliens title on. Do you know why that would be?

I have a set for The Black Cauldron and each poster has the title on. Maybe it isn’t a Marler Hayley set after all? It was sold to me as a MH set though.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2018, 02:34:36 PM »
Would this added knowledge qualify him as an "expert?"  ;D

Pretty knowledgeable and expert are two different things.  Moving little pieces of printed paper around doesn’t make you an expert in anything.  I own more then 4,000 French posters.  Maybe I should call myself an expert.  Or an expert on Spielberg or Bardot.  Ludicrous.  I’m just a collector.  Some know more then others, it doesn’t make them experts.  It’s not a skill, I didn’t go to school for it, i don’t have a diploma or authoritative knowledge... it’s just freakin movie posters.

T

My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »
Pretty knowledgeable and expert are two different things.  Moving little pieces of printed paper around doesn’t make you an expert in anything.  I own more then 4,000 French posters.  Maybe I should call myself an expert.  Or an expert on Spielberg or Bardot.  Ludicrous.  I’m just a collector.  Some know more then others, it doesn’t make them experts.  It’s not a skill, I didn’t go to school for it, i don’t have a diploma or authoritative knowledge... it’s just freakin movie posters.

T

So in the world of collecting and collectibles, it sounds like the terms "knowledgeable" and "expert" are often used and interchanged to mean the same thing, then.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2018, 03:18:52 PM »
My whole family, from my great great grandfather to my sister today have been experts in fine art, Impressionism, since 1850.  Something passed on from generations to generations, something studied in college, a real skill.  I know a lot about fine art, I grew up with fine art, that doesn’t make me an expert in anything, just an art lover.

Maybe it’s personal, but I don’t consider collecting movie posters a field where experts thrive.  Some people have collected longer than others and maybe know a little more than others, but that knowledge can be easily acquired.  In a few hours, someone who’s never collected French movie posters can know as much as I do after 20 years of collecting.  There isn’t much to it.  That’s my opinion anyway.

T
My Personal Collection