Author Topic: Marler Haley  (Read 28173 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Marler Haley
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »
Interesting point Paul about not having the Aliens title on. Do you know why that would be?

I have a set for The Black Cauldron and each poster has the title on. Maybe it isn’t a Marler Hayley set after all? It was sold to me as a MH set though.

Do you have photos of them? it's always easier...
It's more than a Hobby...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2018, 05:19:20 PM »
Ha, case in point.  I’ve never heard Paul call himself an expert even though he arguably knows more about British paper than most.  Some call it humility.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2018, 05:25:31 PM »
Looks like there are experts in Germany, tho. ;D

A poster was yanked from an auction because of that expert's opinion, it appears: 

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,418.msg215584.html#msg215584

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2018, 05:30:53 PM »
I’ve said what I gad to say on the matter, no need for redundancy.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2018, 05:40:04 PM »
I’ve said what I gad to say on the matter, no need for redundancy.

T

I'm just having a little fun ... nothing serious in the least.

-Jeff

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2018, 05:09:31 AM »

Do you have photos of them? it's always easier...

Here you go Paul:

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2018, 07:48:10 AM »
Apologies for the clarity. These are photos of photos...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
yes, these are certainly food for thought, looks like they would be able to use them alone or in a set..

I have 4 DC's from Harlow, I'd put down to just being DC's, but certainly makes me think much more research is needed here..

As for experts, I certainly don't know any poster experts, I've been at it over 40 years, and are still learning everyday.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2018, 01:08:07 PM »
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2018, 02:51:31 PM »
Here you go Paul:

This is really nice. Love the colorful artwork on all the pieces, too.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »
Thanks guys. Interesting thread this. I never really new much about these so It's nice to see other sets and learn something about them. I'm sure it's a fun niche collection for you T.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
Yeah, it's fun, although I'm not a big fan of buying pieces of anything.  I like the whole thing immediately, especially on lesser titles.  I got the 3 Empire Strikes Back because of the title, but for mostly everything else, I'll do the full set or nothing (like lobby cards).

No, scratch that.  I realize that I would have never got the full Halloween set if I had not bought the quad many years ago, then the MH quad years later, and then the 4 smaller posters a few months ago.  But then in the case of Star Wars, I bought the MH quad a few years ago, then one smaller poster, then the whole set again.  So now I have to look for the other 3 of the first set to complete that one and own 2 sets.

T
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 03:46:18 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »
I used to be very adamant about only buying sets (character posters etc) and let many partial sets slip through my fingers. Now I regret it because as you’ve just illustrated with Halloween, given time it works out.

I’ve been waiting for 15 years for one poster to reappear. Not that it’s rare, I just missed the one that came up and nothing since.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2018, 06:10:09 PM »
yep these sets do get split up like Lobby cards, which is very annoying, some sets I've been waiting for 30 years to finish and still no luck...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2018, 07:10:26 PM »
What is really upsetting is when a seller, for the sake of making a few more bucks, agrees to break a set of lobbies, or MH, thus destroying another fine set.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2018, 08:26:07 PM »
Thierry - thanks for posting the Alien MH set.
I'm a massive Alien fan and I'd never seen the set until you posted it.
Best wishes,
Adam

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2018, 09:14:19 PM »
From what I gathered from Paul and others, it's pretty difficult to find.  I'm sure there are others out there, though.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2018, 09:30:29 PM »
From what I gathered from Paul and others, it's pretty difficult to find.  I'm sure there are others out there, though.

T

Likely, but not readily available (from anyone I know!) so not holding my breath!
Just nice to see the set anyway!
Best wishes,
Adam

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
I'll do a bit of checking on that T, but I'm positive it's not the Quad from the set...

Paul, did you find anything about the Aliens MH set?  Did they even have one, or just 4 DCs, a quad and a review quad?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2018, 01:04:49 PM »
Took a better picture of my Alien set, the way it would have been displayed.  About to get the Aliens set.  More pix later.

T

As far as I can find this is exactly how they would have been, the other one is a teaser. Not actually part of the set.

I tried to contact Marler Haley, but have not had any reply, if they do I'll let you know, but be sound in the knowledge this picture you took is correct.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »
No, Aliens, Paul.  With an S.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2018, 07:31:53 PM »
I tried to contact Marler Haley, but have not had any reply, if they do I'll let you know, but be sound in the knowledge this picture you took is correct.

Marler Haley don't actually know much, Paul, from whenever I've spoken with them.
They contacted me ages ago to write a piece for their website, but due to personal goings on at the time I couldn't do it - I think another member of this forum may have written an article instead, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The current staff seem to know less than we do, but that was a couple of years ago.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2018, 01:10:35 PM »
No, Aliens, Paul.  With an S.

T

With you now, completely missed the S...   Difficult to find any exact info yet, but there will have been a Quad, they wouldn't just change the way they put these things out, if I spot it I'll let you know..   But that other poster is a teaser.

Marler Haley don't actually know much, Paul, from whenever I've spoken with them.
They contacted me ages ago to write a piece for their website, but due to personal goings on at the time I couldn't do it - I think another member of this forum may have written an article instead, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The current staff seem to know less than we do, but that was a couple of years ago.

Thanks Adam, I did wonder, I even got another friend to email as well, and they never heard back... Such a shame when they are still on the go..
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 01:18:23 PM by paul waines »

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »
not quite Marler Haley as there is 6 of them , all double crowns, I know Dave L has one on his site, but i would sell these if anyone is interested in making me an offer

close encounters dc 2 by Paul duheaume, on Flickr
close encounters dc 6 by Paul duheaume, on Flickr
close encounters dc 5 by Paul duheaume, on Flickr
close encounters dc 1 by Paul duheaume, on Flickr
close encounters dc 4 by Paul duheaume, on Flickr
close encounters dc 3 by Paul duheaume, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:02:18 PM by originalcinemaposters »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2018, 11:00:47 AM »
These are nice.  I only own three of them :(  Maybe one day.

T
My Personal Collection