Author Topic: Marler Haley  (Read 28283 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Marler Haley
« on: December 20, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »
Another Marler set I bought a few days ago.  Never seen that one before.  For my little Alien collection.  Missing the top center quad, but I know where it is and I will work at it.

T
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:21:58 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Marler Haley
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
A Marler Haley set with 2 different quads?  Nice work!  The only other one of those I’ve seen is for Nightmare on Elm Street...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:01:48 PM »
A Marler Haley set with 2 different quads?  Nice work!  The only other one of those I’ve seen is for Nightmare on Elm Street...

Yes, I'm quite happy with it.  Paul believes this set is actually rarer than the Star Wars set I got at Eubank.  Gotta believe the Paul.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 04:10:10 AM »
That top Quad is not part of the MH set, it's a teaser.

Do you have a pic of the NOES with two Quads Matt?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 09:08:11 AM »
I originally thought these were official studio teaser posters.  However, in retrospect I can't imagine a low-budget, unknown (at that point) horror flick getting any sort of special treatment by the studios.  If a film like Alien only got one official quad poster, then I imagine NOES would be the same. 

So lately I've been going with the assumption that these were probably part of a Marler Haley set.  There were two quads meant to mount over/under like in the Marler Haley displays.  And while I only have pics of (2) of the DCs, I'm pretty sure I've seen (2) other styles as well (same design, different text).

If you have additional info about these I'd love to hear it.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 11:19:19 AM »
That top Quad is not part of the MH set, it's a teaser.

How do you know that for sure, Paul?  I mean, the colors are identical.  It looks like it belongs to the set.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
It's as simple as the Coming soon, which by the time the MH sets were up in the Odeon, it was already there...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »
Those are teasers Matt. The MH sets almost always featured photos from the film, they would never use the same image over and over... especially on the DC's, don't forget the General release Quad was also used as part of the package, a bit like T did above with the Star wars, but it would have been the Chantrell Quad with that set.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 12:10:37 PM »
Don't know if I need to clear something up here.

Marler Haley was/is a display system, and not the name of the posters. The posters started being call so, purely as that's where they were used, on that display system, which held 4 dc's and 2 Quads, one of which was the General release Quad.

Those DC's, Matt were mostly used on Buses, as were most DC's.

As for the two Quads joining together, there was more than likely a 4 sht released with the same design, but the Quads were also  used separately.. as they are basically a 4 sht cut in half.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:15:56 PM by paul waines »

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've got a teaser quad for NOES with no title, tagline or credits - just the knives/bloody scars.

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
Don't know if I need to clear something up here.

Marler Haley was/is a display system, and not the name of the posters. The posters started being call so, purely as that's where they were used, on that display system, which held 4 dc's and 2 Quads, one of which was the General release Quad.

Those DC's, Matt were mostly used on Buses, as were most DC's.

As for the two Quads joining together, there was more than likely a 4 sht released with the same design, but the Quads were also  used separately.. as they are basically a 4 sht cut in half.

This is actually SUPER helpful, Paul.  Thanks.

So you’re saying that the top Alien is actually the official teaser before the egg?
And Marlers always were 5 posters and the regular quad?
Who printed them?  The Odeon chain?

I was actually wrong to put the Hildebrandt in my Star Wars MH setup above.  It was the Chantrell.  Here with Kenny "R2D2" Baker and family.

T

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:43:03 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »
Posters were printed by the usual printers, Berry's, etc.. for the Display system, which was only used as you say T, by the Odeon chain..

And yes you're right what your saying, the teaser Quad was the one before the egg.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:09:15 PM by paul waines »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 06:06:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've got a teaser quad for NOES with no title, tagline or credits - just the knives/bloody scars.

Mark

I think you will have Mark, there was also some with no colour just B&W..

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 02:16:18 PM »
Thanks Jeff for creating a new thread here.

So I changed the Star Wars display and added my Chantrell to reflect the picture above.

And the Halloween display belongs here.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 02:19:14 PM »
I have a Marler for Farewell My Lovely (1975)
I'd like to get the rest of the set and any that exist for other Chandler titles

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »
Fascinating info here, T and Paul.

I know nothing about Marler Haley and always thought that name was a designer (or design company) of the posters themselves.

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 01:37:42 AM »

I can confirm that for the three original Star Wars movies there were British 4 and six sheets released. I have only seen most of them in pictures and two in person including an Empire quad in the 4x make up and the Jedi quad in a horizontal six sheet that I have. The earliest of the 4x versions I have seen images of is the Hildebrandt artwork.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 02:06:51 AM »
Another one of mine...

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 05:00:37 AM »
those sets are great T.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »
Now you just need the stills that went with that American Werewolf... ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »
Yes I do.  I only have the US 11x14in set.

Come to think of it, I think these press photos are the ones, because it says "Hand Still" on one poster and "Nurse Feeding David Still" on the other.  I've never seen these scenes on a LC, but they are below.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »
They are for the UK F.O.H. Stills, which are in colour..

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 06:47:42 PM »
They are for the UK F.O.H. Stills, which are in colour..

and that's why there are 10 spots... ah-hah

-------

Online ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 07:19:13 PM »
Couldnt bring myself to pull the trigger on that Alien. Good to know I would have been outbid anyway!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 10:46:59 PM »
You've got some great sets Brie.  notworthy.gif
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!