Author Topic: Metropolis Rerelease 2003 Quad - Authentic?  (Read 3067 times)

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
Metropolis Rerelease 2003 Quad - Authentic?
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:12:29 AM »
hi
i recently bought a Metropolis re-release quad 2003 from Cameo Auctioneers. Despite their best attempts to totally destroy the poster by sending,unprotected, in a glorified toilet roll, it survived with only minor damage. Whilst im still amazed that this "service" cost me £12 that is not my main concern.
it measures just under the "correct" 30x40", has a light blue backing & the texture seems slightly rough.
can anyone confirm that this is an original or have i another reason to phone Cameo to complain? ill try & post a picture this evening.
thanks

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: Metropolis Rerelease 2003 Quad - Authentic?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:16:30 AM »
My copy has the blue reverse but it does also seem to be a full 30 x 40.

Mark

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:19:16 PM »
thanks for the reply
it looks likely then that it is original & just the measurements that are abit out.
ill double check when im home but if my memory serves me correctly it measured 29.50" x 39.50".
i may give Cameo the benefit of the doubt as it doesnt appear trimmed.
still a great poster - just the new version to get now which is likely to be expensive!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 12:50:28 PM »
You guys should read the other comments about Cameo auctions in the General Discussion thread. Not the best company to deal with when buying posters.

I think the Blue backed one's maybe re-pro's, as I have a re-release Dracula Quad which is double sided. A collector friend of mine bought one, and his had a blue back? did they make a single sided version as well, and why have a blue back? Why don't all new single sided Quads have blue backs?
        I'm not that up to date on new posters, so before you get carried away lets dig a bit deeper. Maybe Terry ( Quadbod ) has some info on this blue thing.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »
My Laissez-Passer quad has the same blue backing and slightly furry paper too. I can def say mine is original,

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »
you give no reason why "def" Stew, did you get it from a cinema?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 01:10:37 PM »
Yeah Paul sorry, it was .
Most of my posters are,the ones i have been buying have been from Terry,but everything else has been from Cinemas i work in.

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »
I would love to work in a cinema 8)

Is this blue thing becoming more the norm then, and do you know why?   

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »
Not that im aware of,the poster i have is the only one i have seen in 23 years that had a blue backing.
I wonder if it is a substitute for DS printing...maybe just helps to enhance the poster in a lightbox.??

Stew

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »
Blue reverses on quads are not uncommon - I just pulled out one for Requiem For A Dream - they're definitely not repros - I've always considered this must be a more economical (than DS) form of printing for use in light boxes - as Stewart suggests - I think the blue diffuses the light better than plain white.

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »
Well, why would they print a d/s of the 2008 release of Dracula ( Horror of Dracula, for our friends in the U.S. ) and also a blue backed single sided one, If it is to improve the poster in the light box'es?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »
No idea, are both posters by the same printing company?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 02:18:37 PM »
I can't see the Distributor going to two company's for print runs of the same release film. I do know some printers sub out work if they are too busy. It all seems strange, someone must know what the deal is here?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 02:30:11 PM »
I can't see the Distributor going to two company's for print runs of the same release film. I do know some printers sub out work if they are too busy. It all seems strange, someone must know what the deal is here?

Yeah it does seem extravegant, i wonder if LAMP has any info on this sort of thing?

Stew