Author Topic: I just learned the hard way about printer paper  (Read 7732 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
I just learned the hard way about printer paper
« on: September 24, 2010, 02:17:32 AM »
Luckily this happened on a $10 poster. I was pre-packing a poster to be sold. I rolled it and then was trying to slide it in a poster sleeve which always seems to give me trouble. In order to hold the poster in a roll while I attempted to pull the sleeve over it, I wrapped a piece of copier paper around the poster and used small stickers to hold the paper together.

After a few more attempts to get the poster in the sleeve, I looked down and noticed the once mint poster now had a 1/4" slit on the edge. I looked at it puzzled for a moment and then realized it was the paper that cut the edge of the poster somehow. Lesson learned, stay away from printer paper!

The only remaining concern I have is how to better insert posters inside sleeves?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: I just learned the hard way about printer paper
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 11:20:24 AM »
Stay away from sleeves!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:10:05 PM »
Stay away from sleeves!

Huh? I thought sleeves were standard to prevent expansion inside the tube. What am I missing?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »
Yeah, T...what are you talking about?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »
I don't really sell, but whenever I mail a poster as a gift or something, I roll the poster tighter than the tube and roll a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 white paper at the end.  I then tape the paper so it remains rolled tight around the poster.  I make little cut at the end of the paper, fold them back inside the rolled poster to protect the end.  I then stick it in the tube, place paper towels at each end, and it's done.  I've never had a problem with it, it's much easier than sticking the poster in a sleeve and it only cost you 2 pieces of paper and a little tape.

My 2c.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »
That's what I do and it is what I call 'sleeving.'
What were you doing Chop-Top?

tstatum

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »
I believe he's talking about those 1in diameter poly sleeves that it is near to impossible to remove a poster from.

Tim

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 09:51:56 PM »
That makes sense, Tim. Those polys can be a tight squeeze.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 12:35:16 AM »
Yes, I was referring to the poly sleeves which I thought were a standard packaging method. And my OP was about causing a paper cut on my poster with copier paper. This thread is upside down.

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »
I've found that plastic wrap works really well to hold the poster to the proper diameter.  No tape, just the octopus quality of thin plastic.  Left over plastic shopping bags also work well for end padding.
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 04:32:52 PM »
I use layflat poly tubing. 4 posters and under go in the tubing, 5 or more get wrapped in paper. The poly has the added moister protection which I like.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »
These days just about everything gets wrapped in craft paper cut to the exact length of the tube it is being sent in.  No expanding, and no sliding around the tube.
Ves