Author Topic: Took the plunge. Lightbox just arrived today.  (Read 6872 times)

Arcade

Took the plunge. Lightbox just arrived today.
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »
After listening to many comments here, and after talking with the people at River City Lightboxes, I decided to go ahead and purchase one of their lightboxes for my double sided posters. Building one from scratch, while possible, would just take too much of my time and the other companies out there charge way more than I wanted to pay.
At $205 I figured I could fix any problems myself, much faster than building one.
Well today it arrived. Packed very well, I might add. It was in a wooden crate that was in a cardboard box. Even the bulbs managed to make it to me safe and sound through UPS.

After opening up the package I noticed two things that were a slight problem.

1. The box was set up to open from the right hand side. This would have been a nice option for them to ask as I needed it to open from the left side for my room. This was easily fixed by simply removing the power cord and feeding it through the other side of the box. Only took about 10 min. to fix.

2. No mounting hardware is included. I made a quick trip to the hardware store and picked up a couple of those teeth like picture hangers. They attached on the back side very quickly.

After looking at how this thing is made, I'm sure I could do it myself. I should be able to reverse engineer this very easily now that I have one. It looks like it only has about $50 to $75 worth of parts. I may make this a project later on down the road as I really like the effect it gives my posters.

Here are a few photos I took.

This photo is just after unpacking and moving the electrical wire.

Hanging on the wall with room light on.

Room light off.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Took the plunge. Lightbox just arrived today.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 01:32:58 AM »
at an auction recently I picked up a theatre-used lightbox.
has a Minority Report poster in it, so it isn't that old.. but this sucker is really heavy.. has to be at least 80-90 pounds

cost??

$5

now I just have to figure out what to do with it!!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:58:36 AM »
Very cool, Arcade.
I know that some have had 'questionable' experiences with Riverside's products while others have not.  I am glad that yours has turned out well.
Makes a damn fine night light, doesn't it?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 09:26:09 AM »
Very cool, Arcade.
I know that some have had 'questionable' experiences with Riverside's products while others have not.  I am glad that yours has turned out well.

Ya. Arcade it does look very nice. I gotta get me one.

Rich $5?...Now thats a deal but why is it so heavy?

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:23:41 PM »

Yes it does and lets be honest. Anyone collecting posters is still a kid and night lights help them rest easier at night.

Arcade

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »
Since the lightbox is just in my collectibles room it works out great. I can just leave the lightbox on and my LED lights on my comics shelves and the whole room looks great. With those and my computer monitor on, I don't even have to use the room light anymore.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 03:12:07 PM »
Ya. Arcade it does look very nice. I gotta get me one.

Rich $5?...Now thats a deal but why is it so heavy?

well it's obviously an industrial grade lightbox made for outdoors as wel as indoors. No one is going to steal this ferqer off some wall..

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 10:56:24 AM »
Cool stuff Arcade.
Chris