Author Topic: Ebay State Tax  (Read 3848 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Ebay State Tax
« on: October 18, 2019, 07:12:27 PM »
Is this all throughout the US or just some states?  I just bought a poster for like $2k and got a $200 sale tax.  Not complaining, it is what it is, but it's new.  The past month or something.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Ebay State Tax
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 07:17:53 PM »
It's collected for shipping to Ohio. They started collecting after September 1st.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 07:41:13 PM »
They’ve been rolling it out in various states since May. South Carolina started October 1st.

Offline syracuselaxfan

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 08:28:36 PM »
Is this for all eBay sales or just for sellers who make over a certain amount of $$ per year?
Chris S.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:21:24 PM »
Ebay gets the sales tax money directly, it never touches the sellers hands, so they remit for you which makes it nice. Still have to see how my local state is gonna handle it now having 0 sales tax, since ebay already cared for it.

Anyway, should be 34 states now actively dinging you on sales tax.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 09:37:23 PM »
Is this for all eBay sales or just for sellers who make over a certain amount of $$ per year?

I believe it’s venues that make over a certain amount per year. So ebay is big enough to qualify, but small dealers should be exempt. For now anyway...

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 11:48:53 AM »
Its odd for sure, the way the laws are getting written, Amazon and Ebay are sales portals, so that makes them liable to collect taxes, where as if it was just my sales totals, I would not qualify to remit in many states as the threshold is rather large to meet the amount of sales to have to remit if I do not have a warehouse or physical location in a particular state.

The states are making considerably more sales tax revenue.  Would imagine the other 16 states are going to fall in line pretty quickly.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 09:22:59 PM »
eventually they're going to lower the threshold so that people like myself & Dale etc will have to start collecting sales taxes also.

meanwhile, that Long Goodbye one sheet I bought for $310 on Sunday cost me another $26 in taxes that surprised me.

then there is the new post I put up about shipping rolled one sheets overseas... another outlet being eliminated because of the increased costs

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------