Movie & TV Talk > Movies Coming Soon

Star Wars VIII: THE LAST JEDI - 2017-12-15

<< < (2/14) > >>

erik1925:

--- Quote from: TheSundanceKid on September 08, 2017, 06:36:15 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Luke looks like a little old man, in search of his next Guinness (on tap).   :'(

guest4955:
BIG NEWS in Star Wars world: JJ Abrams, direct]or/writer of SW7, will also write and direct SW9!

The "knock" on JJA is that he "rehashes" old SW plot lines:

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-criticism-jj-abrams-rip-off/

Indeed, when we finally got to experience The Force Awakens, we discovered that Abrams and co-writer Lawrence Kasdan used the story template of the original Star Wars, effectively building their film on top of the skeletal foundation of A New Hope. There’s a lonely reluctant hero awaiting “something bigger” who gets roped into a big adventure to vanquish evil; there’s a cavalier, dashing pilot; there’s a finale that involves said pilot driving into one very specific weakness in the enemy’s big weapon, which is essentially another Death Star.

As it turns out, these aren’t just coincidences, this was all part of Abrams and Kasdan’s plan. Speaking with THR, Abrams addressed complaints that The Force Awakens is simply a rehash of a Star Wars story fans know already:

“It was obviously a wildly intentional thing that we go backwards, in some ways, to go forwards in the important ways, given that this is a genre — that Star Wars is a kind of specific gorgeous concoction of George [Lucas]’s — that combines all sorts of things. Ultimately the structure of Star Wars itself is as classic and tried and true as you can get. It was itself derivative of all of these things that George loved so much, from the most obvious, Flash Gordon and Joseph Campbell, to the [Akira] Kurosawa references, to Westerns — I mean, all of these elements were part of what made Star Wars.”

guest4955:
Some random Star Wars trivia today.

Before GL sold LucasFilm to Disney I read a long article about SW and learned a few tidbits:

-   During the making of SW4, Lucas was openly despondent. The initial special effects were very late and of poor quality. It was over-budget and Fox had no faith in the movie. The unionized camera crew and staff refused to work after 5pm. So the actors did everything they could to cheer him up.
-   Harrison Ford aggressively lobbied Lucas to kill off his Han Solo character in ROTJ or even ESB but Lucas refused.
-   In later years Ford didn’t want to answer interview questions about Solo. He disdained the character and its importance to his career.

Disney required GL to convince Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford to reprise their roles in SW7.

When news of the sale of LucasFilm broke, I remembered the earlier article and thought that maybe Ford only agreed to participate in SW7 if they killed off Solo.

I didn’t think they would agree to that but I was wrong. (I was one of the few who anticipated Solo's possible death in SW7.)

Ford recently confirmed that he was the driving force:

guest4955:
Newest trailer pretty entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/v/zB4I68XVPzQ

guest4955:
No comments! 53K in less than 24 hrs. on YT! 40 million views....    8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version