Author Topic: Beyond the Door Spanish poster question?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Beyond the Door Spanish poster question?
« on: April 28, 2023, 05:28:48 PM »
Not sure where to put this thread. But, question on this poster I just got.
It’s Beyond The Door Spanish poster.
However, I didn’t think anything of it, and thought that title was part of the poster. Upon inspection, it’s not.  Doh.gif
1) is this like a snipe they did? Or any idea why they would put this title on it? Even the La Hija De is actually a cutout and pasted on… the black was painted, and the letters were painted on under it.
2) has anyone seen another copy, that I can get if this one is now considered damaged?
Opinions?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Beyond the Door Spanish poster question?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 05:59:23 PM »
Yes you can.

I've done it once, years ago, on this extremely rare Bardot poster.  I had never seen this poster before, and never after for that matter.  I bought it and noticed that a title had been painted on top of the original title.  The French title was La lumière d'en Face (translates to The light across the street), a classic Bardot movie now, but a very small release back in 1954.  It was renamed "Il Tuo Corpo Brucia" for the Italian market (no idea why) until these idiots realized that another movie with the same title was coming out.  Since they had no money to reprint the poster, they hand painted a new title which was much closer to the original French title.

I sent the poster to linenbacking (it was a one of a kind and could not be purchased again, very important to me if you're going to linenback something) and found out about the original title still underneath.  A little magic from the restorers, and voila!

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 06:04:30 PM »
That poster looks good T!
I knew about the Italian snipes, and by backer has removed them. I’m just curious on the Spanish one, especially with all that painted over. But again, I don’t know how rare this one is as it’s a 70s title

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 11:53:00 PM »
You understand that mine is not a snipe, right?  I thought I was clear.  It was painted on and the paint was professionally removed.  It is not a cheap endeavor, so you have to figure out if your posters is worth it.  I know nothing about your title, so I can't help you on its value.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 07:39:42 AM »
I had a snipe removed once on a French poster for The Skull (1965) to reveal the original title underneath: this is because when it was released in France, promotional materials had to be changed at the last minute by pasting a new title, Le crâne maléfique ("The Evil Skull"), over the original French title Les Forfaits du Marquis de Sade ("Infamies of the Marquis de Sade") on posters and lobby cards, after legal action by the present-day Sade family.  However, there was no paint involved in this particular instance, as the new title was printed on the snipe that was then glued to the old one.  Depending on the type of paint that was used here, it might be more difficult to remove, but I would think a good restorer should be able to.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 08:40:25 AM »
Not sure where to put this thread. But, question on this poster I just got.
It’s Beyond The Door Spanish poster.
However, I didn’t think anything of it, and thought that title was part of the poster. Upon inspection, it’s not.  Doh.gif
1) is this like a snipe they did? Or any idea why they would put this title on it? Even the La Hija De is actually a cutout and pasted on… the black was painted, and the letters were painted on under it.
2) has anyone seen another copy, that I can get if this one is now considered damaged?
Opinions?

I believe that is not a spanish poster, my friend. Can't see the second image you uploaded to look what language the upper text is in. Might be an italian export poster (Bruce has auctioned a few) used in spanish territory (and that would be the reason of the repainted title).
The title used in Spain was "Poder malefico" and the poster has completely different art by Jano

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 10:18:14 AM »
I’m assuming this is behind the snipe/painted line

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 01:48:34 PM »
Might be. At this point, I am lost. The title in yours is "La hija de Satanas" (Satan's daughter), but in Argentina the film was called "El hijo de Satanas" (Satan's son)

Matias

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 01:50:52 PM »
I have to see what it says under that black paint somehow.
Is that poster for sale? Lol

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 01:54:02 PM »
I could get it for you, but I'd rather wait for an untrimmed one to appear. All white borders are missing
Matias